Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How would you turbo M6 guys like a boost by gear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Louis, would this work off the transmission vehicle speed sensor?(the one HPtuners uses for its speedometer in the datalogger?)
Old 02-11-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Louis at GSS
If you want in on the first 9, please send me an EMAIL. Louis@GSSspeedshop.com
I shot you an email.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Hm. Hope one makes it to my TBSS I am not emailing or calling lol. You hear from me enough
Old 02-16-2011, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What about the supercharged cars?

Taylor at DP has been working on a switch controlled system that controls a butterfly valve on the intake side of a supercharger. With all the reliability issues associated with switches, it seems like a speed trigger would work better to control the butterfly valve. Maybe you guys could work together on this for version 2.0?
Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Snyper
Louis, would this work off the transmission vehicle speed sensor?(the one HPtuners uses for its speedometer in the datalogger?)
..............?
Old 02-16-2011, 01:59 PM
9 Second Club

..............?
I don't think so, different signal. But I maybe wrong.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can Someone call me on this. I have a few ?'s about it.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiago
I don't think so, different signal. But I maybe wrong.
I think will, but the pulses are different. Many people hook their front ABS sensor to the PCM for a speedo reading.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:54 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by slow67
I think will, but the pulses are different. Many people hook their front ABS sensor to the PCM for a speedo reading.
yes but the signal is so different frequency that you have to fudge the speedo calibration way out to correct it. Would make the adjustments on the box probably not be in the range you would want them in.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Subscribed
Old 03-02-2011, 10:40 AM
FormerVendor

..............?
I will see, can you give me a tooth count on the Driveshaft? I think one of my guys may have already contacted you.

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
Can Someone call me on this. I have a few ?'s about it.
Ill call you today.

Originally Posted by HowlerMonkey
I'm currently finishing up work on weatherproofing and final fitment of a shift position sensor that allows true boost by gear for many different cars and will be using the crane cams "street shark" car shown in the picture to figure out how to fit it to the GM flavored M6.

This is true boost by gear we use with the ams1000 boost controller meaning you can go through the gears and the display on the ams1000 will show what gear you are in and apply boost control based on that gear regardless of car speed.

This is important because gear ratio determines torque to the wheels...........not vehicle speed.

For the last two years it's worked well enough for us to hit over 270 (unofficial) in the standing mile (252.9 official) even when someone set the boost levels far too high for the lower gears.

Look for this car to take the record over 270 sometime this year but don't expect that at texas as the venue is proving too short in length.

We've moved the shop and will be having a grand opening in march.
I agree, the AMS 1000 is much better for control, but there lies many problems for the weekend warrior. Its cumbersome, it has a lot of wires, it takes up a lot of realestate, its pricey, and you have to add on a converter, or box on top of it like our box, to get it to work properly on these cars. LSx street cars, where boost by time doesn't work for a roll racer.

The Eboost2 many people already own. Its a great controller, but you yourself, the driver, had to physically raise boost, via the set points. There is no way on these cars to do a cost effective boost by gear/speed setup, until the GSS BBS box. Trust me, Ive been in this market since the inception of the LS1, and it just doesnt exist, for this price point.

Originally Posted by HowlerMonkey
I'll save this thread and use pm when I have something concrete in the next week or so.

We have a couple of Z06 I can use to figure out a sensor solution but remember that this is for the ams1000 boost controller since it uses industry standard 0-5v signalling.

I know other boost controllers or engine management systems use engine speed vs final drive speed to divine which gear the car is in which might be an easier solution....especially if you already run a motec or another system that has this ability.

let me know what you currently are using for engine or boost management and I can research what will work best.
I appreciate your input, its people like you that drive the market and competition, however, I pay a premium to post here on LS1tech. I welcome your product, I dont think it will be competition for our box, as its two totally different markets.

Boxes are en route to me guys, Ill ship them out as soon as I get them. I have a few left, just in time for Texas 2k

Louis
Old 03-02-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you get the transmission speed sensor setup to work?

What wrong with doing switchs around the shifter for the boost by gear?
Old 03-02-2011, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

< can't wait for winter to end to try this.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Louis at GSS
Boxes are en route to me guys, Ill ship them out as soon as I get them. I have a few left, just in time for Texas 2k

Louis
LOOKING FORWARD TO IT
Old 03-03-2011, 07:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Clean94Z
Did you get the transmission speed sensor setup to work?

What wrong with doing switchs around the shifter for the boost by gear?
THey fail, they break, they never hold up.

This is the same, with much much more control and easier to install, tune, and maintain.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple of questions.....

1). Will the work with any eBoost or does one need the eBoost2?

2). I am building a GTM using a 2003 Corvette as a donor, can I use the ABS sensor from the Vette to run your system (I am not running ABS, but I have the sensors). Some of the builders are using the ABS sensor as a way to pick up speed for their speedometer (with limited success).

I have yet to purchase the boost controller, so your anwser will help me go in the right direction.

thx
Old 03-04-2011, 09:26 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by fuzzyjk
Couple of questions.....

2). I am building a GTM using a 2003 Corvette as a donor, can I use the ABS sensor from the Vette to run your system (I am not running ABS, but I have the sensors). Some of the builders are using the ABS sensor as a way to pick up speed for their speedometer (with limited success).

I have yet to purchase the boost controller, so your anwser will help me go in the right direction.

thx
Im not sure if it works with the other Eboosts, but I know it works with the Eboost 2, which is what I would purchase.

The sensor output on 97-08 vettes is the same as 97-02 camaros, you will have no issues, as thats what this is designed for. It takes the frequency the ABS sensor outputs, and uses it to switch boost setpoints.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:17 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Couple of questions.....

thx
Boost on a GTM? That sounds like a recipe for disaster for that poor porsche trans.. Sounds like an awesome idea, but that weak trans is what has scared me away from a GTM build myself..

Sorry for the thread hijack
Old 03-04-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Boost on a GTM? That sounds like a recipe for disaster for that poor porsche trans.. Sounds like an awesome idea, but that weak trans is what has scared me away from a GTM build myself..

Sorry for the thread hijack
For about 5K more, Mendeola mades a GTM trans that will handle more power than I plan to throw at it and uses the Corvette clutch and starter or for an additional 3.5K on top of the Mendeola you can get a Ricardo that will handle 1500hp.

There is a guy over at FFcars (Iron.man) that is running a forged 408 on 12psi through a 5 speed Porsche (G50-01) with no problems.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:41 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

For about 5K more, Mendeola mades a GTM trans that will handle more power than I plan to throw at it and uses the Corvette clutch and starter or for an additional 3.5K on top of the Mendeola you can get a Ricardo that will handle 1500hp.

There is a guy over at FFcars (Iron.man) that is running a forged 408 on 12psi through a 5 speed Porsche (G50-01) with no problems.
I'm on FFcars, but I dont have many posts there.. Nice to know that info tho, thanks! Gotta love the forced induction domino effect on parts LOL The things we do for that boost drug

Quick Reply: How would you turbo M6 guys like a boost by gear?