Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pusher Fans

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by koolrayz
Two of these and you will be good to go, works for me anyway.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-16925/
How did you mount the fans to the radiator? I don't want to use those through the radiator nylon ties.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody ever used the Zirgo brand of fans? They only draw 10 amps and thier 14 and 16" fans have a high CFM rating.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:09 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
How did you mount the fans to the radiator? I don't want to use those through the radiator nylon ties.
I made a shroud and welded it to the radiator

Old 01-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
on first attempt i wired them into the factory harness with factory style plugs but they drew too much amperage and didnt work out. kinda a brain fart on my end. following that i added two simple single relay circuits triggered off the factory high speed fan triggers
i had that same problem, then i completely bypassed the factory wiring. how has your setup worked for you since?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I made a shroud and welded it to the radiator
Oh I see you have skills lol.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trnsfmr99
i had that same problem, then i completely bypassed the factory wiring. how has your setup worked for you since?
worked great ever since i bypassed the factory wiring as well. only using the factory wiring as the trigger, power is coming from the battery

i attached mine with the nylon ties through the radiator and havent had an issue, they function great

i was under the impression you didnt want a shroud on a pusher setup?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE)
i was under the impression you didnt want a shroud on a pusher setup?[/QUOTE]

Same here. I thought you did not want anything blocking air flow through the front of the radiator with a pusher fan.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:46 AM
10 Second Club

I have a pusher 16" FAL 2500cfm slim fan that im selling. I moved the radiator forward and bought a puller. I paid 14x for it...looking for 100$, let me know. It works perfect.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:25 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you guys feel is the minimum requirement of cfm for a pusher type setup with out a/c for the stock radiator. 2200 cfm x 2 sounds like a ton of airflow and may be a race only type fan. I need something reliable for daily use and would prefer to use stock wiring. Stock fans pull around 3500 cfm so why would could you not get a similar cfm setup that will work with stock wiring?

Also from what I've read some of the xtreme (ultra, super, yada yada) high flow fans do not feature fully sealed motors. They say race only because they can get dust and water in the motor. I need a good reliable setup for a something I drive 5,000 + miles a year.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:45 AM
8 Second Club

[QUOTE)
i was under the impression you didnt want a shroud on a pusher setup?
Same here. I thought you did not want anything blocking air flow through the front of the radiator with a pusher fan.[/QUOTE]

I was told the same thing. My issue was the radiator was only working were the fan was. with this setup it pressurizes the entire radiator. Would it work better at speed without the shroud? probably as natural airflow would be in play. BUT at low speed or an parked this setup kicks ***. My only potential loss would be at speed the fans run more than needed if they were not shrouded.

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
What do you guys feel is the minimum requirement of cfm for a pusher type setup with out a/c for the stock radiator. 2200 cfm x 2 sounds like a ton of airflow and may be a race only type fan. I need something reliable for daily use and would prefer to use stock wiring. Stock fans pull around 3500 cfm so why would could you not get a similar cfm setup that will work with stock wiring?

Also from what I've read some of the xtreme (ultra, super, yada yada) high flow fans do not feature fully sealed motors. They say race only because they can get dust and water in the motor. I need a good reliable setup for a something I drive 5,000 + miles a year.
The fans I gave the link for are totaly sealed. I would not think twice about using them in a daily driver. Good luck finding a fan that will use a low enough draw to use the stock wiring AND put out 3500 cfm other than the stock unit. Dont you think I tried? It took me a long time to find these, Please let me know if you find something better?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

God no. I use the stock wiring to trigger relays. I run a #10 wire off of the alternater to the relay to power the fans. They each draw over 20 amps
So you wired the relays to the stock wiring, then from the relay to the fan(s)? While running a power wire between the alt and relay...powering the relay? Just making sure I'm following is all.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:41 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sweet_SS
So you wired the relays to the stock wiring, then from the relay to the fan(s)? While running a power wire between the alt and relay...powering the relay? Just making sure I'm following is all.
The stock wiring triggers the relays (terminal # 85 and 86) . There is a hot wire from the alternator to the to a fuse, then to the relay (terminal # 30 and #87A) and on to the fan.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The stock wiring triggers the relays (terminal # 85 and 86) . There is a hot wire from the alternator to the to a fuse, then to the relay (terminal # 30 and #87A) and on to the fan.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tally TransAm, how does your fan setup perform during sitting in traffic, idling around town, and cruising speeds?
Old 01-28-2011, 06:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The fans I gave the link for are totaly sealed. I would not think twice about using them in a daily driver. Good luck finding a fan that will use a low enough draw to use the stock wiring AND put out 3500 cfm other than the stock unit. Dont you think I tried? It took me a long time to find these, Please let me know if you find something better?
I do appreciate the link you provided, this actually is a kit that includes the nylon mounts and relays. Very good deal for the price. I have looked around and have yet to find anything even close to these fans in terms of cfm and size.

The only fans I've found in this similar size only flow 1500-1750 cfm, but I am curious if 3000-3500 cfm would be sufficient in cooling a street car with a pusher type fan setup. It's hard to have overkill when it comes to cooling. What size amperage fuse do you use, 25-30, something in that range? Thanks!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tally TransAm, how does your fan setup perform during sitting in traffic, idling around town, and cruising speeds?
no problems at all. im running the same fans as koolrayz, in fact he gave me some tips with my wiring when i ran into issues trying them with the stock wiring.

i put 2500-3000 miles on my car a year, lots of it in stop and go around town traffic and have no cooling issues. in the dead of summer (100+ outside) the fans only come on in slow moving traffic and immediately drop the temps and turn off. even with a stock temp thermostat and stock radiator with a turbo with no blanket less than an inch away from the radiator, the car in traffic will stay right around 200 degrees, i could get it lower if i wanted

cruising speeds really should not have an impact. if you have cooling issues above 50 mph you've got different problems than the fans
Old 01-28-2011, 09:10 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
What size amperage fuse do you use, 25-30, something in that range? Thanks!
I use a thirty amp on each fan.
Tally's setup with a stock radiator looks great. I have a much smaller radiater for packaging issues, most do not.

Last edited by koolrayz; 01-28-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like I may be getting a couple of those.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

God no. I use the stock wiring to trigger relays. I run a #10 wire off of the alternater to the relay to power the fans. They each draw over 20 amps
the stock fans pull a lot of amperage, and i have no problem using my stock wiring.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

My first plan was to run my dual 11" Spals fans as pushers but I just read on their website that they do not work very well ran that way. I will definitely be getting those 12" Derale's.

Quick Reply: Pusher Fans