Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PVC solution for Boosted Motors

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PVC solution for Boosted Motors

This is my solution for crankcase ventilation on boosted motors (especially older/high mileage engines) So far, the new setup has presented no problems and I’m awaiting a 6-7psi pulley to take advantage of the new-found potential.

The Original setup:

The New setup

Note: Those of you with the OEM pop up headlights will need to find another location for the Catch can. There is a well vented area just in front of the driver’s side firewall that would work with about 2 additional feet of PCV tubing.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the smiley's
Old 01-26-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

there is no 'PCV' happening during idle and normal driving with this set up, and with enough hp will still pop the dipstick.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

So after searching this numerous times...it seems that everyone has a different opinion on what should be done.

If you had tubes running from each bank to a puke tank is that fine? Assuming this is a car not driven everyday..

Or would open breathers in the valve covers be fine...assuming you don't care about the fumes.

Just wondering what a good solution is as it seems like I have read about a 1000 different setups and someone has negatives to state about all of them.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
there is no 'PCV' happening during idle and normal driving with this set up, and with enough hp will still pop the dipstick.
Originally Posted by bpope
If you had tubes running from each bank to a puke tank is that fine? Assuming this is a car not driven everyday..

Or would open breathers in the valve covers be fine...assuming you don't care about the fumes.
I'm strongly considering running T split so that the vacuum comes from the intake manifold AND upstream of the blower with a 1-way check valve on the line to the intake manifold.

I posted this on the CF as well and there's a large concern that even with the elite engineering catch can (stainless steel style condenser filter) that there's enough oil vapor getting through to the intercooler fins to present an efficiency issue with the intercooler.

Does this sound like a significant issue or is the catch can doing a good enough job?
Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
Could you explain why there wouldn't be? If the OP had a breather filter on the can I could see where there would be no benefit. It just seems like a closed loop system would see the same vacuum as a normal PCV system on a N/A motor until you make boost.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SKINNY69
Could you explain why there wouldn't be? If the OP had a breather filter on the can I could see where there would be no benefit. It just seems like a closed loop system would see the same vacuum as a normal PCV system on a N/A motor until you make boost.
Looks like there is no escape for positive pressure. Looks great for a NA car. The only thing id do is remove the line from the oil fill place a breather there, then tap the valve cover or valley cover.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Apparently, at idle and cruise, there's more vacuum between the intake manifold and the blower than between the blower and air filter. silly me. I will be making a change to this today and will update with details.
The following users liked this post:
oneslowc5z (07-23-2020)
Old 01-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Looks like there is no escape for positive pressure. Looks great for a NA car. The only thing id do is remove the line from the oil fill place a breather there, then tap the valve cover or valley cover.
Why would there be any positive pressure though? The intake plumbing before the blower will always see vacuum in any driving condition. That's why I'm trying to understand everyones need to put a breather somewhere in the equation.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like to do this on street cars-

Run a one way check valve in place of the PCV valve between an LS6 valley cover or front port on the passenger valve cover and the port on the side of the intake manifold.

Rear port of passenger valve cover has a hose going to the induction between air filter and turbo inlet.

Drivers valve cover port has a hose going to the induction between air filter and turbo inlet.

EDIT- wrote that wrong, revised.

Last edited by qqwqeqwrqwqtq; 01-27-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

My car does not have the LS6 valley cover. What would you guys suggest until i can get that?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:38 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by radioflyer86
My car does not have the LS6 valley cover. What would you guys suggest until i can get that?
I revised my post, just go from the front port of valve cover to intake with the check valve in between. Then run the remaining ports on your valve covers to the induction between the filters and turbo inlet.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Why would there be any positive pressure though? The intake plumbing before the blower will always see vacuum in any driving condition. That's why I'm trying to understand everyones need to put a breather somewhere in the equation.
There is no where for fresh air to enter the motor, At some point the pressure in the crank case will equalize and there wont be release of the positive pressure. You really want a breather on the motor to vent the crank case pressure it has to go somewhere. Thtas why sometimes people pop the dip stick out. You have to vent the motor on FI setups and valve cover breathers help with that. Even with a vacume source the pressure underboost will be greater in the crank case vs the incoming air.

Thats my .2 in this thread but its my understanding.

Ive seen in person 1000+hp f bodys with a vented catch can's using one way check valves in the vacume source. it works.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

We vented my buddy's valley cover on his TA with 2 -10 lines going to a catch can, that's it. Doesn't pop any dip sticks out and doesn't get any oil in it either. I would assume it work just as good venting the valve covers to a catch can. I don't get why people go to extreme with PVC valves etc.

Note: his car is a 383 ls1 with a tc78 an runs the **** out of it
Old 01-27-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
We vented my buddy's valley cover on his TA with 2 -10 lines going to a catch can, that's it. Doesn't pop any dip sticks out and doesn't get any oil in it either. I would assume it work just as good venting the valve covers to a catch can. I don't get why people go to extreme with PVC valves etc.

Note: his car is a 383 ls1 with a tc78 an runs the **** out of it
some people want a pcv system.. the above has nothing to do with a factory or operational pcv system

there are several plusses to a pcv system, hence why every major auto manufacturer invests in including them on their cars.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea I guess I'm missing that part, what are the advantages?
Old 01-27-2011, 05:37 PM
AVB
Launching!

Someone needs to find a flapper valve or something that seals the breather from atmosphere whenever the crankcase has vacuum. That way when there's boost it still relieves the excessing pressure and limits/prevents pushing it thru the line in front of the blower's air supply. When not in boost, it seals and the crankcase can evac.

Key is when that flapper opens it needs to open large enough that the velocity is kept at minimum.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Gingervitis Addict

I don't like PCV systems, as they get oil vapors into the combustion chamber, which reduces octane.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Coal Mining Director

I've used this for 3 years...zero problems:

LS6 valley port to oneway check valve to PCV valve to catchcan to intake port...gives PCV at idle and around town and no oil in intake manifold with the can.

Pass side valve cover port and Driver side valve cover port to connector between airfilter and turbo.

Open cone filter on the Oil cap.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Big disappointment!!! I thought someone successfully built a turbo system out of PVC! I thought it would complement McGuyvers plastic racing engine perfectly. True story.

"MacGyver assists his old college buddy Jeff Stone in testing a racecar with an environmentally-friendly all-plastic engine. The Phoenix Foundation invested in the project, and Mac reports to Pete Thornton that the engine is performing even better than expected. "

Quick Reply: PVC solution for Boosted Motors