Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo VS Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
but subtract $1100 for you hotside setup and turbo and $500 for your wastegate and blowoff valve. So that's +2600 - 1600, so a procharger works out to roughly another grand over the turbo.

Only thing that's missing from that equation is the neccesity to be a good welder, so add in the cost of a welder and welding supplies or to pay someone else to weld up the hotside and I think the cost differential becomes close to a wash.

Trust me, I considered going single turbo like KYTP's kit multiple times over and over.
You don't need to know how to weld for a turbo...you could pick up Modular Turbo's single turbo plumbing for $500. And comparing new vs used is apples/oranges You could probably shave a good bit off the numbers I posted by watching for deals in the classifieds. And "subtract the hotside" doesn't count when you'd need a set of headers for a proper supercharger setup, which will run anywhere from $400-800. I can't say I've seen a complete used D1SC kit go for under $4000, which is a good deal more expensive than the numbers I ballparked.

It'll be expensive either way, and if you're like me, "budget" went out the window as deals or setup changes came along...but I believe it's a common misconception that it takes $6k+ to turbo a car.

Last edited by evo462; 07-24-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:41 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by evo462
You don't need to know how to weld for a turbo...you could pick up Modular Turbo's single turbo plumbing for $500. And comparing new vs used is apples/oranges You could probably shave a good bit off the numbers I posted by watching for deals in the classifieds. And "subtract the hotside" doesn't count when you'd need a set of headers for a proper supercharger setup, which will run anywhere from $400-800. I can't say I've seen a complete used D1SC kit go for under $4000, which is a good deal more expensive than the numbers I ballparked.

It'll be expensive either way, and if you're like me, "budget" went out the window as deals or setup changes came along...but I believe it's a common misconception that it takes $6k+ to turbo a car.
I know exactly what you're saying and I'm not disagreeing with you. You just quoted using a $500 turbo, but that's not apples to apples comparing it to a D1SC either. A $500 turbo is like an ebay turbo and a procharger is arguably the best centrifugal supercharger out there. I'm not familiar with the turbo you spec'd but is it capable of making 800+ rwhp because there have been a few examples of guys who've pushed their D1's to that level.

Most guys sell the D1 and step up to an F1 by the time they get bored with 700+ hp, so there's not too many D1's at that level though.

I didn't take into account the headers and exhaust setp because at this stage most guys who consider going FI have already done all the bolt ons, and possibly a cam (or two) and are now in search of lots more torque and horsepower (face it, even the best h/c stock cube setup is only going to make 430 +/- ft/lbs of torque).

At the end of the day, you pick your path that makes you happy and you then figure out how to get there from here.

Once you start dumping money into the car, what's another $300 or $500 here or there... lol.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not familiar with the turbo you spec'd but is it capable of making 800+ rwhp because there have been a few examples of guys who've pushed their D1's to that level.
No, probably 550 RWHP - but for a couple hundred more you can have a turbo that will. And honestly, if you're looking to make 800 RWHP, "budget" probably doesn't matter anymore.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see how you can have a budget forced induction build. The bottom line is it cost to go fast, and horsepower breaks things...Its been my experience that most people want instant power.(+1 for procharger) then you get bored with buying tires so you do more suspension. At this point you become hungry for more power so you either step up to an f1 or go turbo. The deciding factor for me is I hate to waite. Id rather play with the adjustment on suspension components then waite on boost.

Long story short if you go from a dig procharger is best option..
If you roll race then a turbo is best.
Just my opinion...good luck
Old 07-24-2011, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't "wait" on power from a turbo. This is a common misconception.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

If its not instant then your waiting right
Old 07-24-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fatmat80
If its not instant then your waiting right
How long do you wait to hit max boost?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm betting he waits longer than a turbo car since boost is relative to RPM with prochargers.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

or plate the blower and have 5psi on the hit..
Old 07-25-2011, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know exactly what you're saying and I'm not disagreeing with you. You just quoted using a $500 turbo, but that's not apples to apples comparing it to a D1SC either. A $500 turbo is like an ebay turbo and a procharger is arguably the best centrifugal supercharger out there.

I didn't take into account the headers and exhaust setp because at this stage most guys who consider going FI have already done all the bolt ons, and possibly a cam (or two)
the "TURBO" he spec'd was actually modular turbo's hotside, which is about 500 bucks. you still need a turbo and some other pieces to complete the setup.

for the cost of a 4k dollar D1 kit you can easily setup an A2A turbo setup with all new parts, with a ceiling of roughly 800hp. josh @ kytp offers a complete kit for under 4 grand, IIRC. you'll still need a fuel system and an engine that'll take the punishment, but i dont think ATI includes those either...

and to be honest, you cant really play that "most guys" game, because thats bs. "most guys" can also sell their headers/exhaust with a turbo setup, too.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:31 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kmracer
the "TURBO" he spec'd was actually modular turbo's hotside, which is about 500 bucks. you still need a turbo and some other pieces to complete the setup.

for the cost of a 4k dollar D1 kit you can easily setup an A2A turbo setup with all new parts, with a ceiling of roughly 800hp. josh @ kytp offers a complete kit for under 4 grand, IIRC. you'll still need a fuel system and an engine that'll take the punishment, but i dont think ATI includes those either...

and to be honest, you cant really play that "most guys" game, because thats bs. "most guys" can also sell their headers/exhaust with a turbo setup, too.
Again, not trying to argue to get into a pissing match about this. My point that I was trying to make is that it's not that big of a difference price wise to chose to do a turbo vs. procharger. In other words, don't chose one or the other based on cost because in the end, they are similar.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

I agree with what you're saying in theory. I look at all of the 2010 camaros and c6 corvettes with twin screws and I'm jealous. The major difference is they can fit those setups and still have clearance between the top of the supercharger and the cowl, which 4th gens don't have.

Sure, I could space down the k-member an inch, but I'd still have to cut the cowl to get it to fit. Even then, it's the smaller mp112 that's being offered. So then with all that work, you top out at ~550 rwhp if you get everything optimized perfectly. 550rwhp is cake out of a P1SC much less a D1SC. There have been a few guys on here who've made over 750 rwhp with a D1SC on stock cubes.

Also, all that instant low end torque isn't worthwhile on the street unless your running slicks. So the way to be the fastest is to generate just enough horsepower to hit your traction threshold throughout the rpm range. As your speed increases, that traction threshold will increase, which is why having a more gradual increase in power is better than a sudden hit. Power is wasted if you spinning. Why do you think the turbo guys have programmable boost by gear? There's no way to hold 1000 horsepower in the lower gears.
THIS ^

Nice way to put it! I agree 100% I race at the track and the streets in Mexico and Turbos are badass but I deff love having a procharged car. I do have traction issues, but because of the way the centri blower works I'm not hitting nearly as hard down low as I am up in the upper RPM band obviously. That seriously helps traction...I have buddies with turbo cars and they spool at 3K give or take and can just smoke the tires till no tomorrow....our cars a little more linear in the power band (Yes I know linear is a straight line...you guys know what I mean lol) Plus a centri car is very friendly with a 6spd...with a turbo car your leaving a lot on the table running a 6spd. I'm planning on doing another build and this one will be a turbo car....one of each outta do it lol

Last edited by blue00ZZleeper; 07-25-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Again, not trying to argue to get into a pissing match about this. My point that I was trying to make is that it's not that big of a difference price wise to chose to do a turbo vs. procharger. In other words, don't chose one or the other based on cost because in the end, they are similar.
exactly.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Interesting discussion, used to have a Buick GN, ran lo 10s back in 91, sold car (big mistake), got out, now getting back in. have a 81 Regal ex NHRA SS car, have 376 LSX crate motor, in process of building. Was 1 turbo, then 2, large pro charger, now I think going with twin turbo 67s and E85, ice intercooler in trunk. Goal, is mid 7s. If first build doesn't do it(probably not enough air). Going to do heads and cam to turn 9-9500 rpm. Going with a 400 tranny w brake, and bump box for staging. 160-220lb injectors.

Any one with experience or constructive help?

Quick Reply: Turbo VS Procharger