Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo VS Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo VS Procharger

I know the basic dynamics of Intercooled Centrifugal Superchargers and very little about Turbos(especially the hot-side).

Why does it seem like this subforum is 85% Turbo & 15% Supercharger?

Isn't cheapier as well as easier to assemble & tune a Procharged combo than a custom Turbo or Turbos?

I know there is a ton of experience that can advise me here.

Last edited by N2OBaby; 02-08-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: I can't type English sometimes!?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by N2OBaby
I know the basic dynamics of Intercooled Centrifugal Superchargers and very little about Turbos(especially the hot-side).

Isn't cheapier as well as easier to assemble & tune a Procharged combo than a custom Turbo or Turbos?

I know there is a ton of experience that can advise me here.

Lots of guys in here are going for 800-xxxxwhp and after a while belt slip becomes a factor. I've seen many centri guys go turbo just to get rid of the belt. There is also a certain DIY aspect that goes into a turbo build. And they just sound cool.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You have to look at the potential power gains and how you can achieve that. With turbo setups, boost controllers make it a dream to up boost. Unlike that of a SC, where you have to change pulleys etc etc. Besides, there's nothing like hearing the wastegate, BOV and turbo.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Most people would rather whistle than whine.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:22 AM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

that should speak for itself
Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Question

AES has a 5.5L(3.83 bore 5.3L with 3.622 stock crank) shortblock for sale.

Would twin Turbonetics GT-K 450's orPrecision TA-5557 be too big for this engine?

Last edited by N2OBaby; 02-08-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Can't spell either.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went procharger bc I wanted to make 500+ ( which is a pretty low number in the FI section) Whp pretty ez! And That I did. IMO SC r more for a street style cars and Turbo is more for a race car. I know if I ever build
My gta into a race car it will def be turbo!! I like Them both and they both have there pro's and con's. If your looking to make 700+
HP I would go turbo
Old 02-08-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb

Turbos sound like they might be easier to work with as far as increasing boost but the F1-A Procharger still sounds very inviting.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbos sound like they might be easier to work with as far as increasing boost but the F1-A Procharger still sounds very inviting.
No...
Old 02-08-2011, 11:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by _Adrenaline_
No...
yeah turning the **** or hitting a button is tough isn't it??
Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

No...
What? You can change the boost of a Turbo with a simple $5 valve from Home Depot, with a supercharger you have to go through the process of changing a pulley.

OP, I don't know why they said whistle over whine, Prochargers have a better sounding whistle than Turbos, and it's always there, some hate it, others (like me) consider it crack for their ears. If there was a rehab for the blower sound a Procharger makes, check me in.

Turbos DO have the capacity to be much faster, but I love the feeling of a Supercharger over a Turbo'd car. Don't feel like waiting for it to spool and the sound, god the sound... (excuse me while I change my pants)

I'd go Procharger, but I have intense bias
Old 02-09-2011, 12:16 AM
FormerVendor

No...

You're nuts!!! I can go from 4psi to 20psi with the click of a button, or anywhere between there.. I'll never build anything but turbo cars for street or track.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:20 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
What? You can change the boost of a Turbo with a simple $5 valve from Home Depot, with a supercharger you have to go through the process of changing a pulley.

OP, I don't know why they said whistle over whine, Prochargers have a better sounding whistle than Turbos, and it's always there, some hate it, others (like me) consider it crack for their ears. If there was a rehab for the blower sound a Procharger makes, check me in.

Turbos DO have the capacity to be much faster, but I love the feeling of a Supercharger over a Turbo'd car. Don't feel like waiting for it to spool and the sound, god the sound... (excuse me while I change my pants)

If you're sitting waiting for a turbo car to spool, something in the combo isn't right . Hell, I could come off a stop sign at idle with my 101mm, blow the tires off on motor and proceeded to clean melt them off before the other end of the intersection. Heaven forbid I was crusing at part throttle and stood on it. The blowers defiantly have the instant throttle response, but imho makes no difference because street tires aren't going to hold either power adder on a decent setup.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:28 AM
TECH Resident

Read, Read, and Read more.

Nothing is "easier" to tune, whoever tells you different should not be tuning cars. Granted, a lot of factors go into tuning, but generally speaking a sound fuel, air, and spark setup should yeild the same results no matter what the platform, no matter what the setup. My last sentence is meant to be VERY broad...

The reason more people prefer turbos is because they are more efficient, effective, and simply work. Prochargers can be very nice depending on what kind of power you want to make, ease of installation, kit completness, etc. However, turbos can do the same thing with less effort. The kits however will take up more room and are more complex (from a piping sense) to build.

In my honest opinion, superchargers are stupid...Unless you want to go slower than a turbocharged car... If that's what you are looking for buy a Magnuson.

-W
Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz

You have been in the wrong turbo car. Spool time is a thing of the past for people like you... Instant spool is simple - Properly sized turbine wheel(s), Exhaust housing(s), Compressor wheel(s) and compressor housing(s)

Its like trying to run a Procharger F3 on a stock V6 F-Body. You think that would be "instant"

Old 02-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Teching In

Less piping, less heat, and man do I love that Procharger whine. I do miss the boost controller and being able to turn up or down boost on the fly, but I also like how smooth the centris are coming into boost.

Supercharging will typically be cheaper to do, and I believe the install is easier and requires less space. Not to mention some of the supercharger options are California smog legal if that is a requirement for you. I believe only STS has a CARB legal turbo option for us LS guys, and I'm not a fan of the turbos replacing my mufflers.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done extensive research between the two. In my opinion..

Turbos are more expensive at the beginning but cheaper in the long run.
When a compressor wheel fails it doesnt cost 2200 to fix it
A supercharger is cheaper to begin with but more expensive in the long run
If your compressor wheel fails plan on spending 2200+ to have it repaired

A turbocharger will require more space than a supercharger. Often in cases your A/C will have to be removed.

A supercharger has a high possibility of producing belt slip. Depending on the size of the supercharger most of the time this can be alleviated with more ribs, more pullies, cog setup or driven straight off the crankshaft.

In the end the choice is your own. I have never had a turbocharger but I have had a procharger. The whine is beautiful, and the instant on is great! The cost of any forced induction sucks but its a hell of alot cheaper and more reliable than nitrous in the long run.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think belt slip is a major issue anymore. There are ALL kinds of different setups out there that eliminate some if not all belt slip. You have Asters bracket for the F-bodys, then you have ECS and House of Boost setups for the Vettes.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb

I have never owned nor have I had a ride in a supercharged car/truck.

I have had a ride in 1970 Dodge Super Bee with a 440 Six Pack as well as a ride in a GM Syclone pickup with an aftermarket Turbo and a Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX with an aftermarket Turbo.

I am not knocking Muscle Cars but the ride in that "Rice Rocket" and the GM truck flat killed the Bee PERIOD.

I hear that the largier F1 Prochargers really whine and I like bout that but, the thoughts of being able to adjust boost with a switch or **** is down right intriguing.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fabrication is where the turbo can get expensive and/or intimidating. Procharger's unwillingness to sell parts is bullshit. As stated before, the unit has to go back for any repairs and you can expect to be bent over for a g or 2.

Quick Reply: Turbo VS Procharger