Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Whipple question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipple question

I am looking into a new Camaro SS and was looking into a Whipple. I was wondering what this charger is capable of with a LS3 418 or 427 built for FI. A forged bottom end and a built top end with CNC'd 6 bolt heads and a solid roller cam. I will also be doing all the drivetrain and suspension upgrades as needed.

I am not interested in turbo's or a procharger so please don't junk up my thread with why turbo's and prochargers are better etc. etc. I was also looking at the BDS LS blower and have seen the prototype design but was wondering if it will fit in the car. I think that would be just nasty. If you have not seen what I am talking about here ya go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN9JoDbECn0

Last edited by REAPER13; 02-09-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

65 views and no one has an anwser. My threads always seam to get hardly any responses. Someone has to know something about what I am talking about.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Probably better off checking out whipples site and ask them. Not too many guys on here if any that are running them on their GM vehicles.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by REAPER13
I am looking into a new Camaro SS and was looking into a Whipple. I was wondering what this charger is capable of with a LS3 418 or 427 built for FI. A forged bottom end and a built top end with CNC'd 6 bolt heads and a solid roller cam. I will also be doing all the drivetrain and suspension upgrades as needed.

I am not interested in turbo's or a procharger so please don't junk up my thread with why turbo's and prochargers are better etc. etc. I was also looking at the BDS LS blower and have seen the prototype design but was wondering if it will fit in the car. I think that would be just nasty. If you have not seen what I am talking about here ya go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN9JoDbECn0
The new Whipple 2.9L Camaro kit would work great on a 418. I would keep about the same compression ratio as a stock LS3. Also, Whipple is releasing a new water cooled 4.5L blower around April which will be killer. This is their thread over on the Corvette forum, Dustin is the owner: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...te-system.html
Old 02-11-2011, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jontall
The new Whipple 2.9L Camaro kit would work great on a 418. I would keep about the same compression ratio as a stock LS3. Also, Whipple is releasing a new water cooled 4.5L blower around April which will be killer. This is their thread over on the Corvette forum, Dustin is the owner: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...te-system.html
Would stock compression be okay if I am looking to make 800rwhp or so with the charger. I have seen Maggie's make over 800rwhp and over 900rwhp with a little N2O. I am thinking the Whipple will make more.

Has anyone looked into the 6-71 or 8-71 blower like what is in the concept video above. I think this is just bad ***. It's a mix of old school looks with new school muscle, it gives me chills thinking about it.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

An ERL 6 bolt 427, 6 bolt heads, a BIG whipple, and a G force 9" IRS kit would be awesome! Have Circle D do the 6L80E, LMR has one living at 1000rw.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
An ERL 6 bolt 427, 6 bolt heads, a BIG whipple, and a G force 9" IRS kit would be awesome! Have Circle D do the 6L80E, LMR has one living at 1000rw.
Can you direct me to this car PLEASE.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:08 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up Whipple

Originally Posted by Jontall
Whipple's are twin-screw superchargers. Inhearantly more efficient that the 5th Gen Eaton roots-type superchargers used in OEM and many aftermarket kits. The roots-type respond a little better in the lower rpm ranges, the screw-types maintain efficiency at higher pressure ratios. Magna also carries the 6th Gen Eaton TVS superchargers. Vastly improved over the older 5th gens and are at least as, if not more, capable than Whipple/Kenne Bell superchargers.
The Magna charger uses a roots style charger, which is based on RPM. Which means you will get full boost at high RPM and it gradually increases along with the RPM. Whipple is a screw design which means you get full boost off of pretty much idle. Once you smash the gas, you get 6psi all the way up to redline. That gives you a nice punch from anywhere in the RPM range.

As far as noise goes, you hear the Magna more during normal driving because it is based on RPM. With the Whipple, boost is based on throttle position, so if you are crusing at 1/4 throttle, you do not even know it is there.

They are both good superchargers.

We have installed and dynoed many whipple and magnachargers.

As i have a magnacharger on my TBSS.

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1243
Old 02-11-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ugh-6l80e.html
Old 02-11-2011, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

I just got off the phone with someone over at Whipple and all he had to say was you will just sping the charger at those levels and that I wont be able to make 800rwhp on their charger. I asked him what his suggestion was and he said to contact my builder and they can help you out.

To say the least I am pretty much done with Whipple and will be contacting BDS to hopefully be the first to put the big blower on the car.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

I just found out BDS is in the process of making a LS3 intake that will fit the the 8-71 blower. So the concept rendering above will soon be a reality. The only question is will it fit without hacking up the cowl and firewall.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:04 PM
FormerVendor

I just found out BDS is in the process of making a LS3 intake that will fit the the 8-71 blower. So the concept rendering above will soon be a reality. The only question is will it fit without hacking up the cowl and firewall.

The bds blower will stick out of the hood, as there intake manifolds are raised high.
How much power are you looking to make?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by C/Performance
The bds blower will stick out of the hood, as there intake manifolds are raised high.
How much power are you looking to make?
Yeah it will be just like the blower camaro concept above. Not to mention the first one that I know of in a 2010/11/12 camaro. I would be more than happy with a 1000hp engine but I would like around 800rwhp. Not a all out drag car just a show/street car with occasional strip time is the plan. I like to drive alot and I like to have that power there when I need or want it.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:19 PM
FormerVendor

Smile

Yeah it will be just like the blower camaro concept above. Not to mention the first one that I know of in a 2010/11/12 camaro. I would be more than happy with a 1000hp engine but I would like around 800rwhp. Not a all out drag car just a show/street car with occasional strip time is the plan. I like to drive alot and I like to have that power there when I need or want it.
http://www.machinetechracing.com/files/index.php?id=13

http://www.scottmarlow.net/Superchar...r_Intakes.html

These guys have the ROOTS blower you are looking for TO MAKE THAT KIND OF POWER.

Last edited by C/Performance; 02-12-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the highest rwhp car you have driven on the street? A roots blown car is ridiculous from 2000rpm up. My old 68 Impala was only mid 500's on a blown 377 and it was retarded at wide open throttle.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TurboAv
What's the highest rwhp car you have driven on the street? A roots blown car is ridiculous from 2000rpm up. My old 68 Impala was only mid 500's on a blown 377 and it was retarded at wide open throttle.
I currently have a 95 camaro with a 427 LSX swap. It dynoed 614rwhp on the dyno.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by C/Performance
http://www.machinetechracing.com/files/index.php?id=13

These guys have the ROOTS blower you are looking for TO MAKE THAT KIND OF POWER.
I was on their site yesterday. I will try giving them a call on monday.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:34 AM
FormerVendor

Smile

I was on their site yesterday. I will try giving them a call on monday.
Nothing sound like a roots blower HUFFER !

Here is dyno vid tune on BBC with a BDS 871.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Collingd...85/Jtgt7iXFk-w

Quick Reply: Whipple question