Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Garrett ball bearing turbo question powerstroke 6.0 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Garrett ball bearing turbo question powerstroke 6.0 turbo

I'm not familiar with diesel turbos but I have a friend with a ball bearing garrett off of a 2006 powerstroke which was a stock truck when he bought it and the first thing he did was pull the turbo and upgrade it. the turbo he took off has 30k on it so it still in great shape.

I was wondering if anyone knew the specs on them or what size ls motor it would be good for?

I have a 4.8 laying around and I was thinking about putting something together with this turbo, does anyone have any experience using diesel turbos like this on lsx motors?

thanks
Old 02-14-2011, 10:49 AM
LCW
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I could tell you about that turbo is that it has variable vanes in.. they are usually controlled by a computer.. i'm not sure if you could use it on something other than what it was specifically built for.. the 6.0l powerstroke..
Old 02-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, I had a feeling that might be something this one had. are there any turbos that could be scavenged from other vehicles to use on a 4.8 budget build? the engine cost me all of 100 bucks and it is functioning so using a cheap turbo isnt a concern of mine as far as possibly destroying the engine
Old 02-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Look for holset turbos on eBay, a lot of talon guys used the smaller hx35's I believe. I'll be looking for an hx50 one day to do a single turbo build. I think the hx35's came on the dodge truck cummins'. The rebuild kits are cheap and they last for hundreds of thousands of miles behind the oem diesels for the price of a Chinese built brand-x "eBay turbo".
Old 02-14-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

ebay gt45

turbo mustangs . com has a 22 page thread about em. they're around 25-300 shipped brand new.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:11 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chevyboy91188
I'm not familiar with diesel turbos but I have a friend with a ball bearing garrett off of a 2006 powerstroke which was a stock truck when he bought it and the first thing he did was pull the turbo and upgrade it. the turbo he took off has 30k on it so it still in great shape.

I was wondering if anyone knew the specs on them or what size ls motor it would be good for?

I have a 4.8 laying around and I was thinking about putting something together with this turbo, does anyone have any experience using diesel turbos like this on lsx motors?

thanks
I also believe those turbos have to have ALOT of oil pressure. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: Garrett ball bearing turbo question powerstroke 6.0 turbo