Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Aftercooler or Intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftercooler or Intercooler?

Alright guys here is the low down. I picked up a V-1 T-Trim with pretty much everything needed to install. Except for either the Aftercooler or Intercooler and piping. After pretty much doing some searches on here. It seems that people go with the Procharger with the intercooler. I have had no luck finding anyone with a vortech using a front mount intercooler. Seems they tend to stick with the aftercooler. Found a couple vids on youtube with people who have a Vortech supercharger. With what seems to be some fabbed up pipes using a front mount intercooler. Anyone who has gone this route, or maybe feel one would be better then the other. Could you please chime in with your experience or opinions. Or ultimately which one would be better on my wallet.lol Thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

are they not the same thing but different terminology?
Old 02-28-2011, 05:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Technically they should all really be called aftercoolers, as they all run the air through them after the air has been compressed, which causes the air to become heated. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-28-2011, 06:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

"Inter" means between, So it is between the Turbo/blower and the engine. After - would be after the turbo/blower, and im sure somewhere someone calls it a pre-cooler because its before the engine.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
"Inter" means between, So it is between the Turbo/blower and the engine. After - would be after the turbo/blower, and im sure somewhere someone calls it a pre-cooler because its before the engine.
True enough! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-28-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Intercoolers are charge coolers placed between multiple stage compressors, turbo(s) and/or supercharger(s), in compound systems.

Aftercoolers are charge coolers placed after all compressor stages (single or multiple), before the engine.

But, the term intercooler is frequently used, or misused, to describe charge coolers used in pretty much any configuration.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Well guys thanks for the in depth explanation between the 2. Now for the lame mans question. Will pretty much any intercooler work. I mean in some of the other threads I've read, people say that they have used. An intercooler with the dimensions 24x13x4. Is this what I should am for? Or will pretty much any intercooler work? But what I'm really trying to get at is. I seen some were the in connection and out connection are on the same side? For the supercharger I'm going to use is there one more preferable to use then the other? Or is it just that preferance? Sorry for the newb questions.lol
Old 03-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Well I have a vortech and im running a front mount but I have a v4 x trim so I had to make everything custom. The bracket I had to mock up and have it machined, the pipes i got from ebay and modified them a bit but for the most part they were exactly what I needed and also the intercooler I got from ebay its a 32x12x4, quality is pretty dam good on it and cant beat the price. For installation I had to cut a notch into the bumper support so it would fit, some people choose to remove it altogether but thats the route I chose at least for now. As far as which one is easier on the wallet you call up vortech and order the aftercooler kit I believe theyre around $900 for the camaro I spent a total of $260 for the intercooler and piping w/clamps and silicone hoses
Old 03-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lymlyt96
Well I have a vortech and im running a front mount but I have a v4 x trim so I had to make everything custom. The bracket I had to mock up and have it machined, the pipes i got from ebay and modified them a bit but for the most part they were exactly what I needed and also the intercooler I got from ebay its a 32x12x4, quality is pretty dam good on it and cant beat the price. For installation I had to cut a notch into the bumper support so it would fit, some people choose to remove it altogether but thats the route I chose at least for now. As far as which one is easier on the wallet you call up vortech and order the aftercooler kit I believe theyre around $900 for the camaro I spent a total of $260 for the intercooler and piping w/clamps and silicone hoses
Thanks bro. Thats what I was really trying to find out.lol I basically have been trying to get ball park estimates. And seems like from what I'm being told is. I would be spending as much as a new supercharger kit. I guess I am off to a good start. The guy I picked up the supercharger from told me he was using a front mount intercooler. So hopefully I have the right brackets already.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Wing Zer0
Thanks bro. Thats what I was really trying to find out.lol I basically have been trying to get ball park estimates. And seems like from what I'm being told is. I would be spending as much as a new supercharger kit. I guess I am off to a good start. The guy I picked up the supercharger from told me he was using a front mount intercooler. So hopefully I have the right brackets already.
No problem, every now and again we need to help each other out on these "budget builds"
Old 03-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Launching!

lymlyt96, You ain't lying on that one bro.lol Well my friend I went and did some homework on the budget saver ebay route. I seen an intercooler with the dimensions that you have with the piping. My question is how much of that piping would be usable, and how much would have to be modified? Thanks
Old 03-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Wing Zer0
lymlyt96, You ain't lying on that one bro.lol Well my friend I went and did some homework on the budget saver ebay route. I seen an intercooler with the dimensions that you have with the piping. My question is how much of that piping would be usable, and how much would have to be modified? Thanks
Well in my case the kit I bought came with four 90* bends two 45's and two straights, I had to cut one of the 90's that I put on the passenger side of the intercooler and that was it all the other pipes worked perfect, I had to get the BOV welded to one of the pipes but thats a given. Oh and I had to buy an extra 90* silicone coupler but honestly all you need to do is get the piping from point A to point B make it as simple as possible dont let the piping give you a headache these camaros are full of other surprises that are worth gettin a headache over. I would say look at some of the pix on here of other ls1's and how they ran their pipes and try to map out what you need before you order a kit.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Lymlyt96, Honestly. Thanks a bunch my friend.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

A shop saw and your choice size pipe, some brake cleaner and blue masking tape to use to hold the pieces together for mocking up your routs, so you can take all in one shot to your welder, come back and put it all together...
Old 03-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Thanks

Quick Reply: Aftercooler or Intercooler?