Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

worth it changing the oil pump or go ahead and pull it out

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default worth it changing the oil pump or go ahead and pull it out

having an odd issue with my car.

i changed the oil/filter thursday and nothing out of the ordinary. drove about 15 miles immediately after and again no issues. later that night i brought the car out to a local meet and the motor sounded "different."

ive paid close attention to it over the past couple days and the motor is noticeably louder. there are a couple more prominent top end ticks that have never been there before and i listened underneath the car with it running on a rack and from under the car i dont hear rock knock or any bottom end knock that i have heard before but the motor is noticeably more noisy. i changed the oil filter again for ***** and its still there.

it doesnt come about until the engine is warm and has a few miles, when cold everything sounds fine. i also noticed when warm the oil pressure gauge will fluctuate at idle and bounce around the 35 psi mark (35-40 psi is where it has always been when hot but it has never fluttered before) and i noticed it fluctuating while cruising a couple times but it hasnt actually been lower than normal cruising or at idle

i have the oil filter i put on when i did the initial oil change (do not have the one that was on there prior) and as soon as i can locate a filter cutter i plan on cutting it open to look for shavings and what not

does this sound like bearing issues or would it be worth it to change the oil pump out, currently the stock one with 108k miles. obviously if i cut the filter open and find shavings i know where im going from there.

thanks
Old 03-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When in dought,pull it out!!!
I would replace the oil pump if i was you....
Old 03-21-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...und-video.html My LS1 made that sound once
Old 03-21-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

what is oil pressure at WOT?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by IT_SS
na man no where near that. ive seem quite a few motors with spun bearings and this is much less pronounced. more just engine noise but louder

havent been hard on the car since i noticed it but heavy throttle oil pressure gets 65-70

Last edited by Tally TransAm; 03-21-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

its probably something very simple. i would look for all other possibilities. it could be just a bad OPSU connection combined with a loose rocker? exhaust leak? collapsed lifter? tons of possiblitys, really. it doesnt sound like an internal problem worth pulling the engine over.

do you own a diagnostic vacuum gauge?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

i did something similar once, pulled my friends engine, had him buy parts, etc because it failed a compression test, only to discover it had broken a rocker on the intake side. no air = no compression. it was something simple but i got ahead of myself (and a little excited) for an engine build when it, in reality, was something small.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

I wonder if you have a rocker or lifter failing.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:30 AM
TECH Resident

ive heard some old timers putting in trans fluid, driving around the block and then changing it. its basically a super detergent and cleans the crap out of your motor.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

new motors dont need that. thats for motors that were designed without a decent PCV system, and when oils were pretty low quality.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kmracer
do you own a diagnostic vacuum gauge?
yes i do, but engine vacuum doesnt appear to be effected

cant find an oil filter cutter locally so im gonna get that and an oil pump coming and tear it down this weekend and see what i can find. hopefully it turns out to be something other than bearing cause im really trying to make a race next weekend, but well see what happens.

thanks for the input so far
Old 03-23-2011, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

have you tried using the vac gauge to diagnose the problem?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

so heres an update

got an oil filter cutter and opened the old filter and nothing out of the ordinary, no shavings or glitter. drained the oil and ran some through a coffee filter and same thing.

pulled the valve train and everything was normal. no loose rockers, everything was fine.

replaced the oil pump today with a melling 10296 with the blue spring. oil pressure is about 10-15 psi higher across the board which is nice. i let the motor idle for approx 30-35 minutes to let the oil get to full temp to both burn off the condensation from the motor being open for a couple days as well as see if the noise and fluctuating pressure returned. the noise seems to be gone, the motor is substantially more quite than before. however i notice the oil pressure gauge fluctuating the same as before, only about 10 psi higher. heres an interesting note though, while i was staring at the gauges i saw the fuel level gauge bouncing slightly as well, so i dont know if there is a voltage issue or issue with the cluster itself

havent gotten a change to drive it yet as a result of it raining

i havent convinced myself yet that my paranoia with this car doesnt have me chasing a ghost so any thoughts on if i should keep hunting this down or let it ride until something real happens?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Do you have the pulsing headlights also? I had the lights and gauge needles bouncing around.......once found the starter cable burned through-replaced that and it got better, but it was still there. Bought a Power Badstards 200amp alternator and all is well now.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

havent noticed anything with the lights or anything else electrical related

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
i let the motor idle for approx 30-35 minutes to let the oil get to full temp to both burn off the condensation from the motor being open for a couple days

so heres a random dumb question regarding this statement

ive driven the car approx 30 miles for a total of about 45 minutes since i finished the install today and im still getting steam out of the breather tank from condensation from the covers being off (been cold and muggy the past couple days)

im assuming this means i need to change the oil again for the third time in two weeks. obviously itll get done if it needs to get done, but **** this is annoying
Old 03-30-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

dont think you need to change the oil unless it is milky.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try and put a volt meter on the fuel pump hot wire after the relay and see if it bounces That will tell you wheathers its a possible power source problem Alternator or connection, relay, or the pump starting to go. If so, try the relay first and check grounds
PS, are all the plugs clean and evenly burning too? loose plug wire?If the oil,and fuel are both bouncing its rpm related but whats causing it only you can pin point
Ide check the fuel pump voltage first and go from there as it should stay constant no matter what your engines doing,Right?

Last edited by barnat; 03-30-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd just go straight to the source and install a cheap manual oil pressure gauge temporarily.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd just go straight to the source and install a cheap manual oil pressure gauge temporarily.
My bad lol I thought it was fuel pressure gauge that was jumping,, I just reread it and you said fuel level LOL My fault
Old 03-30-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

this is the plan in the factory gauge keeps acting weird

i appreciate the help guys, thanks

Quick Reply: worth it changing the oil pump or go ahead and pull it out