Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SDCE or Aster For my new setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking SDCE or Aster For my new setup

Just ordered my Fuel System from Lonnie and now I have to order my full procharger kit!

I am going to run an F1A at 15 to 18 Lbs of boost!

I have heard good things about both set ups and there is only a 200.00 difference in price. The aster is a little more becuase of the Water Pump!

Who is running them and which one do you like the best?

Thanks - Project Name is the Baddest Firehawk Ever!
Old 03-26-2011, 08:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brian_king25
Just ordered my Fuel System from Lonnie and now I have to order my full procharger kit!

I am going to run an F1A at 15 to 18 Lbs of boost!

I have heard good things about both set ups and there is only a 200.00 difference in price. The aster is a little more becuase of the Water Pump!

Who is running them and which one do you like the best?

Thanks - Project Name is the Baddest Firehawk Ever!
I am using Aster bracket, no special tools needed to install. There is more belt wrap than sdce and you don't have to change pulleys. I ordered mine from Bob at Brute speed, great customer service. Chris Aster is always available if you have any questions as well.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

If the difference in $$$ is not an issue, no doubt got with Aster's bracket... be prepared to change your water pump to the LS3 unit however! I think my biggest complaint about the SDCE setup is that cheap looking tensioner...
Old 03-26-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Aster. Much better design and more belt wrap
Old 03-27-2011, 01:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aster's setup. The tensioner is nothing less then amazing. It also uses easy to find parts so swapping out the auto tensioner or idler is easy and doesn't take an arm and a leg to find. With aster's bracket you can also run a 7.65" crank...with the SDCE you can only run a 7.25" crank pulley. No special tools, easy to find parts and the use of the larger crank pulley was enough for me. I plan on running my F1 around 18-20psi so I'm in the same boat as you!
Old 03-27-2011, 06:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks everyone!

Brian, keep in mind that with the SDCE bracket you have to supply SDCE with the ProCharger J Bracket for them to modify it. If you don't already have the ProCharger J Bracket, this substantially raises the cost of their bracket. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 03-27-2011, 07:17 AM
10 Second Club

I don't have the SDCE bracket yet................. I sent the J bracket out on January 24th and was told 5-7 working days. Not too happy at this point, but I'm sure I will be once I finally get it.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Question

Originally Posted by WHPLASH
I don't have the SDCE bracket yet................. I sent the J bracket out on January 24th and was told 5-7 working days. Not too happy at this point, but I'm sure I will be once I finally get it.
Wow, you sure they didn't forget about you! Bob

Old 03-29-2011, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Wow, you sure they didn't forget about you! Bob
Bob, as you know in the past, I'm a very patient customer. I've sent an email about every week and a half, they don't respond (once in a while). It's winter/spring still and being as patient as can be. Sometimes, you just have to shake your head and say WTF.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Bob, as you know in the past, I'm a very patient customer. I've sent an email about every week and a half, they don't respond (once in a while). It's winter/spring still and being as patient as can be. Sometimes, you just have to shake your head and say WTF.
I wish you luck with it, hopefully they come through for you. Bob

Old 03-30-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Man can I borrow some of that? I'd be so mad the sky would be black and fire would rain down upon SDCE's main building until I received my bracket
Old 03-30-2011, 06:34 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I was in the same situation. I decided to put together my own setup, which may or may not save me any money in the end, but I wanted to do it right the first time and learn from other's mistakes.

I knew I didn't want the ATI supplied way of tensioning the belt, so that left me with the same decision as you, SDCE or ASTER. With the SDCE, I would have had to buy a J-bracket, then send it to them to be modified. I didn't like the fact that you had to use a special tool to get the belt on/off either.

With Aster's bracket, I liked the overall design better, and the fact that you have to use the LS2 water pump isn't a bad thing either. It flows better than the ls1 pump, and considering you're adding 100+ rwhp, the extra cooling is a good thing in my mind. Additionally, my water pump is starting to sound not quite so healthy and it was a no brainer for me.

I'm still waiting on mine, but Bob's been very transparent with the delay. Aster found an issue with one of the measurements, and is making the adjustments to avoid any potential issues with customers.

I don't plan to finalize my install till the fall, so right now I'm just in the mock-up / parts acquisition stage, so delays are perfectly fine, especially when I'm updated as to timelines.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I was in the same situation. I decided to put together my own setup, which may or may not save me any money in the end, but I wanted to do it right the first time and learn from other's mistakes.

I knew I didn't want the ATI supplied way of tensioning the belt, so that left me with the same decision as you, SDCE or ASTER. With the SDCE, I would have had to buy a J-bracket, then send it to them to be modified. I didn't like the fact that you had to use a special tool to get the belt on/off either.

With Aster's bracket, I liked the overall design better, and the fact that you have to use the LS2 water pump isn't a bad thing either. It flows better than the ls1 pump, and considering you're adding 100+ rwhp, the extra cooling is a good thing in my mind. Additionally, my water pump is starting to sound not quite so healthy and it was a no brainer for me.

I'm still waiting on mine, but Bob's been very transparent with the delay. Aster found an issue with one of the measurements, and is making the adjustments to avoid any potential issues with customers.

I don't plan to finalize my install till the fall, so right now I'm just in the mock-up / parts acquisition stage, so delays are perfectly fine, especially when I'm updated as to timelines.
Thanks, we appreciate your patience! Bob

Old 03-31-2011, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Alchemist

I got my Aster bracket in December I am kinda wondering what kind of issue he found with the bracket in one of the measurements. Mine isnt on the car yet. Any info would be great.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:25 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Bob and Aster would be the best ones to explain, but supposedly on one car, a spacer was off by an 1/8 of an inch and it was the first time it was ever seen.

I'm not 100% sure, so I don't want to give out incorrect information.

PM Bob or Aster and they can explain it far better than I could.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:33 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Got Both and have run both. With the LS2 water pump you can run the 7.65" pulley on the SDCE set up. The tentioners are close to the same presure as I checked unscientificly myself and will say the SDCE is a little bit stronger as far as tention, but not a ton. There is more belt wrap with Asters bracket and over all a lot nicer piece although you have to be a little closer on you belt lengths with his bracket than with the SDCE it works well haven't had any REAL issues with it although I had one of his first ones, and took me about 3-5 belts to get the bracket/ SC lighned up. Just dynoed the car before TX2K11 and it made 1035rwhp and 911rwtq on 93 octane and Meth injection @18lbs with an F!R some signs of belt slip when cold. As it warms up it seems to grip better and the boost curve shows it lol! I haven't tried the SDCE setup with this motor or pulley araingement so I don't know if it would work with the head unit I am using as I know I am at the limits of a 8 rib set up etc... If anyone reads this is my experience with Asters bracket and my opinion of the SDCE setup. And SDCE bracket takes like 3hrs to make lol! Can't beileve you've been waiting so long WHPLASH GL!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:53 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

^^ good info!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:13 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Bigrob339
I got my Aster bracket in December I am kinda wondering what kind of issue he found with the bracket in one of the measurements. Mine isnt on the car yet. Any info would be great.
Here you go... here's your answer.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/14718278-post117.html
Old 04-01-2011, 07:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Thanks everyone!

Brian, keep in mind that with the SDCE bracket you have to supply SDCE with the ProCharger J Bracket for them to modify it. If you don't already have the ProCharger J Bracket, this substantially raises the cost of their bracket. Bob
I was just about to say that. I'd go with the Aster bracket. Im using one and I havent had one issue with it. Zero belt slip and running about 16psi on my D1SC. Hopefully I can test out a F1 pretty soon
Old 04-02-2011, 05:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
I was just about to say that. I'd go with the Aster bracket. Im using one and I havent had one issue with it. Zero belt slip and running about 16psi on my D1SC. Hopefully I can test out a F1 pretty soon
That is good to hear! Bob

Quick Reply: SDCE or Aster For my new setup