Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is this really an alternator relocation bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this really an alternator relocation bracket?

Hey guys, odd question here but when I bought my turbo setup the guy told me he had a alternator bracket that he would include for free. He told me that he bought it off someone (assuming from here) but never used it as he never installed the kit. I have not torn apart my car yet so I have not been able to figure out if this bracket lines up with anything but I would like to find out if I need to buy a bracket or not before I get to the point of no return. Has anyone seen anything like this? I really haven't seen one like it before but it appears like it could be based around a alternator since it is slotted on one side and the other is stationary but I have no idea.

Here are some pictures, the dollar is there for size refrence. the spacer part is stationary while the screw part is slotted.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

im thinking that small bolt goes into the the head id just try to mock it up and go from there. from the looks of it you would prolly have belt slip issues with that.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trans2000am
im thinking that small bolt goes into the the head id just try to mock it up and go from there. from the looks of it you would prolly have belt slip issues with that.
Thats kinda how I was thinking it would work but I haven't taken my car apart yet to find out. The thickness of the bracket is 3/8" at best and I am more concerned about it flexing and throwing belts.
I most likely wont use it but I am curious if anyone has seen or is running one of these. I kinda like how the spoolin performance setup looks.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol

he PAID for that?

seriously, throw that thing away.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

It looks similar to one a member makes and sells here on tech but im in no way positive, search function will tell the tale
Old 04-03-2011, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
It looks similar to one a member makes and sells here on tech but im in no way positive, search function will tell the tale
Any idea what the username is? I have seen quite a few home made setups but none were a solid piece with a bend in it. I am just curious how this thing was supposed to be used or if there may originally have been more parts.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

buy the kit i just posted on another members post. simple looking kit and priced right
Old 04-03-2011, 04:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by boost21
Any idea what the username is? I have seen quite a few home made setups but none were a solid piece with a bend in it. I am just curious how this thing was supposed to be used or if there may originally have been more parts.
smokinhawk comes to mind but honestly i dont remember, its been a long time since i was looking at alt relo brackets
Old 04-03-2011, 06:27 AM
Staging Lane

smokinhawk comes to mind but honestly i dont remember, its been a long time since i was looking at alt relo brackets
I believe his design uses angle iron.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i believe the way that bracket is suppose to work is with using your stock alternator bracket, i believe your probably missing a spacer that goes between the stock alt bracket and head though, the piece in the pic should bolt to the water pump where the tensioner is currently at (it will have to be removed) and then the slotted part will bolt to the alt bracket, then on the middle bolt on alt bracket (the one that is indented) you will bolt that part to the head and you will need a spacer for it (stock lugnut is almost perfect size lol) then the farthest bolt on alt bracket you will just use a nut and bolt to hold the alt into it
i know this because i made something similar with mine, i just hope that makes sense lol
Old 04-03-2011, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 0269camaro
I believe his design uses angle iron.
Correct, I have heard of some people throwing belts with that setup so I am shying away from it. Not sure if the design was ever changed though as this was a couple years ago when I heard that.

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
i believe the way that bracket is suppose to work is with using your stock alternator bracket, i believe your probably missing a spacer that goes between the stock alt bracket and head though, the piece in the pic should bolt to the water pump where the tensioner is currently at (it will have to be removed) and then the slotted part will bolt to the alt bracket, then on the middle bolt on alt bracket (the one that is indented) you will bolt that part to the head and you will need a spacer for it (stock lugnut is almost perfect size lol) then the farthest bolt on alt bracket you will just use a nut and bolt to hold the alt into it
i know this because i made something similar with mine, i just hope that makes sense lol
That does make sense, do you have any pictures of yours? I am guessing there is at least one other point on the alternator housing that bolts directly to the head? I can't imagine this little bracket alone being secure enough.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

I think I tracked down the original owner, waiting on a response to see how this thing worked.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Launching!

That is one ghetto looking bracket! Curious what its for.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Speedy911
That is one ghetto looking bracket! Curious what its for.
Hey function > form in some cases. Hoping I will be able to get some information from who I think at least used it at one point. If it worked without issue I may just give it a shot
Old 04-04-2011, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

could it be the speed inc piece? i really feel like ive seen it before......
Old 04-04-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

could it be the speed inc piece? i really feel like ive seen it before......
The speed Inc piece is billet adjustable
Old 04-05-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is some pics of this exact bracket mounted in this thread here, just scroll down a bit...https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...rx7-build.html
Old 04-10-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by forgedlt4
lol

he PAID for that?

seriously, throw that thing away.
Obviously an expert who would rather pay big bucks than MAKE something that worked flawlessly and ultimately was hidden behind and below the alt...

So the definitive answer is YES a relocate bracket and YES it worked perfectly for pennies..... I should know, I made it for my budget build.

Ill PM the OP for install..
Old 04-10-2011, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
Obviously an expert who would rather pay big bucks than MAKE something that worked flawlessly and ultimately was hidden behind and below the alt...

So the definitive answer is YES a relocate bracket and YES it worked perfectly for pennies..... I should know, I made it for my budget build.

Ill PM the OP for install..
Thanks! Exactly the reply I was waiting for. Like i said before I could care less if something is pretty as long as it works. Especially if it can save me some cash.