Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

QMP Formula Meets Its' End Tonight.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok let me get this right when you max out a turbo you start to loose HP as boost goes up or what? I`m really curious as to how you can tell when your turbo is maxed out. Did you run into any boost drop or did it hold strong and just start losing HP. Thanks rob i`ve been wondering for awhile now what happens when you max the turbo out. Great info as usual Rob keep it up.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think probably just can't get anymore air outta it....
Old 02-20-2004, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MYTURBOT/A
Ok let me get this right when you max out a turbo you start to loose HP as boost goes up or what? I`m really curious as to how you can tell when your turbo is maxed out. Did you run into any boost drop or did it hold strong and just start losing HP. Thanks rob i`ve been wondering for awhile now what happens when you max the turbo out. Great info as usual Rob keep it up.
You're welcome.

Basically, when you start adding more boost and HP starts to drop, or goes flat, you're probably near its' limit. That's assuming that EVERYTHING ELSE is 100%...i.e., enough fuel for the boost, no detonation, etc. At that point, the extra boost is just heating the intake charge and actually hurting HP.

However, most of the homework has already been done for us. Being the small housing T76 Q trim, it's only rated at 900-950fwhp (depending on which company you ask). And when you look at the compressor map vs the fwhp calculation (based on the Dynojet #'s), you can see that the turbo has reached very close to it's potential. 900fwhp - 15% Drivetrain loss = 765rwhp

We did find something interesting the other night while dynoing. Did anyone know that the max number of pulls that can be made per Dynojet File is 130? We didn't. We kept trying to make runs, but the dyno kept saying "Invalid Operation". Which is why the Dyno run number posted is only like run #5 or something...I had to start a new file. Honestly, I wouldn't have guessed in a million years that it would have made it safely to run 50....much less 150!

Wonder how many people have made over 100 pulls @ 600+rwhp without ever hurting anything? It has literally never missed a beat since the first pull.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:57 PM
Teching In

If you look at a compressor diagram like this >

http://www.turbocalculator.com/compressor-maps/t76.jpg

You can see that as you move up and to the right of the graph which is what happens when you increase boost the compressor becomes less efficient. This shows as an increase in intake air temp and can outweigh the increase in boost. It would probably show up more on a dyno because there is no descent amount or air going through the intercooler. If you keep going right the compressor just turns into a hairdryer.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Hey Rob, what is the manufacture of you turbo? Do you think a Innovative GT80 turbo will drop right in to the T76's spot? Or even the T88? Ever thought about putting a shorty header like Edelbrock's shorty on the passenger side? It is made from stainless steel. Do you think the T76 with a bigger cam could make more power with that same amount of boost? How about a air-to-water intercooler with ice water?
Old 02-20-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Very nice Rob. I just keep thinking. "Damn I wish I would have tried methanol injection on my car." 9.6's perhaps?
Send me a PM if your going to Ewater opening day. I'll come down and hang out with ya guys.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Wow you got a lot of questions!

Originally Posted by Gold Phoenix
Hey Rob, what is the manufacture of you turbo?
Turbonetics.

Do you think a Innovative GT80 turbo will drop right in to the T76's spot?
Yes, it will.

Or even the T88?
No, it won't.

Ever thought about putting a shorty header like Edelbrock's shorty on the passenger side?
Yes, we've tried that already. It made no difference whatsoever. I'm not even using a ported passenger mainfold right now....come to think of it, I haven't even taken the time to do the throttlebody coolant by-pass mod yet! Maybe there's a few more HP left in it still??

Do you think the T76 with a bigger cam could make more power with that same amount of boost?
I don't think that it would with an otherwise stock motor...but maybe.

How about a air-to-water intercooler with ice water?
Definitely! But I doubt we'll ever try it. It's my personal opinion that Air to Water IC's are better suited for racecars, than streetcars. After all, if you drive around for 10 minutes, the ice melts...and it's not like you can keep stopping to fill it up. But it sure can help the dyno numbers! I guess we could try icing down the air to air IC on the Formula the next time we dyno it, just to see how much it helps (though I know it won't be as effective as a true liquid IC).

And yes Mike, I think 9.6 on Methanol would have been VERY possible for you. Maybe we'll see this year???
We are planning on going to Edgewater next weekend. Just cross your fingers for good weather! Who knows, it now looks like we may even have a rear end under the Formula by then....
Old 02-21-2004, 06:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna have to check this out at Edgewater too. I hope the weather holds, you get alot of cancellations in the spring. A rear end would be cool cause then you can let it all out.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:58 AM
11 Second Club

Rob, could the small cam cause a restriction at the upper RPMs to see more boost but building up more heat? Is it also possible that the intercooler maybe maxed out on its heat transfer ability? That is why I suggested a water-type intercooler. How about spraying nitrous or CO2 across the intercooler to give it the ice water effect?
Old 02-21-2004, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

I have some Questions as well Rob. Please check your e-mail

Thanks
Old 02-21-2004, 03:21 PM
Teching In

That is just awesome...
Old 02-21-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Rob, what are your future plans? Move to something like a Tnetics superT76, a PT76-GTS, or maybe even a small frame PT88?
Old 02-21-2004, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eviltwins
Rob, what are your future plans? Move to something like a Tnetics superT76, a PT76-GTS, or maybe even a small frame PT88?
I was hoping nobody would ask that.... We've actually already started working on the "future plans". However, I don't want to discuss it until it's finished.

I've learned a little something from our past experience. And that taught me that the best way to do something, is to simply prove it with results, rather than talk about it with theory. I just feel like if I say too much about what we are working on, the questions, and the how's and why's will fly.

Trust me though...it won't be long....
Old 02-22-2004, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

So if you can get the rear end into the Formula by the opening track date are you going to try out the current setup?
I'm sure you could probably take top honors as the fastest almost internally stock LS1 ever.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rob Raymer
I just feel like if I say too much about what we are working on, the questions, and the how's and why's will fly.
Why, Rob... whyWhyWHYWHYWHY?????

PS- Yeah! Check your e-mails and PMs! Or do I have to send another inflamatory e-mail? I wanna know the answer to my question. And you know what that question was, Hmmmm?

SC-
Old 02-23-2004, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

I have a question,
This presidents day I was in Glamis and there are a lot of LS powered sandrails some from 400 hp all the way up to one twin turbo setup rumored to have 1200 hp. Have any of you heard or seen of a LS based turbo motor putting out those kind of numbers??

I can not disregard this due to the little V6 ford with a single turbo we were in is at 560 with 16lbs of boost. and in a 1200lbs car it was INSANE so I could not imagine a 1200hp version!

Congrats buy the way!!

Quick Reply: QMP Formula Meets Its' End Tonight.....