Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I think I lifted a head.. What side effects may be associated?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I think I lifted a head.. What side effects may be associated?

Well I've been pushing my car to the limit lately. It is a procharged 02 Trans Am and awhile back me and a buddy raced. Afterwards my car began to get hot so I pulled over. Anti-freeze was all over the engine compartment.

The next day I went out and filled it back up with water/coolant and let it run for awhile. It appeared to have came from the radiator cap. It hasn't over heated since and I haven't noticed any leaks. I've driven it quite a bit since with no issues. So I assumed maybe I lifted a head and over pressured the coolant system.

Today I started to remove the engine and transmission. I removed the kick panel to unplug the harness inside, and when I pulled back the carpet it was damp under there. Is there anyway I could have damaged the heater core? Or do I have something completely unrelated to the incident going on?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2011, 01:39 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its possible that it cracked the heater core, but who knows it could have already been bad.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:49 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you do not have an overflow tank?
Usually when someone pushes water it goes in the overflow tank and you have to push it back in(coompressed air works well) It is very possible you damaged the heater core when the system pressured up if the overflow relief cannot handle the volume it will allow the system to skipe in pressure. The core could have just been old. If you do need one I have the HVAC system from my car I could sell you a core. I would think they are available at a local yard though.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Heater cores rot out, for the hassle that is involved in replacing a core I'd put a new one in. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 04-08-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why are you pulling the engine...?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

and how much power/boost are you making/running?
Old 04-08-2011, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its been at 16#s for a few pulls. Its been procharged for about a year though. It made 500/461 through a stalled auto, 12 bolt with the stock long block at 10#s. As tight as I thought I had the belt, when I switched to a SDCE bracket I gained a little over 5#s. Once this incident happened i've been leery about getting in boost and have mainly just cruised it. I knew I was on limited time with it like that, but ive only put 1500 miles on it in 2 years and have had intentions of building a forged motor when this one went. I imagine I had some detonation due to going beyond that capabilities of the 2 bar map. I could be wrong though.

I recently bought a flt lv. 6 trans and I need to ship my core in. I am pulling the trans and motor out together to rebuild and forge the motor.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh ok, i thought it was just due to you thinking you lifted a head. i really doubt you did though. have fun with the new forged setup.

Quick Reply: I think I lifted a head.. What side effects may be associated?