Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin 38mm wastegates with 6lbs springs in each spiking to 8 then settling....???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you fit them like this, just patch the original hole.
Attached Thumbnails Twin 38mm wastegates with 6lbs springs in each spiking to 8 then settling....???-111.jpg  
Old 04-09-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is a 1-2 psi spike so important? I would try the smaller springs and see if that gives you the result you want. If not bigger gates in that same location or those same gates in a better location(which you already said is impossible).
Old 04-09-2011, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sluggish
Could you fit them like this, just patch the original hole.
If I move the one to the left down at all it will hit the ground. The car(factory ride height) is VERY low. And the one to the right wont fit because the waterpump is in the way and if I go even farther the radiator. Im going to try the softer spring method. I figure if I can keep the spike even down to 5psi(with the 3psi springs) then I can program my boost controller to hold 5 in first and go up from there. And a 2psi spike is a big deal when you are trying to keep the tires planted on the street. That initial spike breaks the tires loose every time. Im sure the boost will become more stable as I go up in PSI...I just need the downlow for the lower gears so I can utilize the boost by gear.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Also, a tiny leak around the valve stem to the reference side is normal. Should be very very small though. It's a metal on metal seal (stem to guide).
Yeah thats what it is. Its just strange that one does it and the other does not.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Snyper
Yeah thats what it is. Its just strange that one does it and the other does not.
Run larger valved gates with larger charge piping - Obviously with a comparable/smaller housing.

Check out Turbosmarts new "Ring" style gates. They are pimp.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:16 PM
10 Second Club

Im gonna try the .2b springs and see if the spike lowers. If it does ill just set the boost controller to hold the spike at whereever it is in the lower gears. Hopefully once im above 10lbs it should hold stead reguardless.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:45 PM
9 Second Club

If I remember right you have E-boost2. Have you tried to adjust your gate pressure yet to make it start to open earlier? I doubt you'll notice the spool time difference. That worked for me. I'd have to go out and turn mine on to verify, but I think it was gate pressure. GP

Frank
Old 04-10-2011, 02:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Boosted One
If I remember right you have E-boost2. Have you tried to adjust your gate pressure yet to make it start to open earlier? I doubt you'll notice the spool time difference. That worked for me. I'd have to go out and turn mine on to verify, but I think it was gate pressure. GP

Frank
Im not running the solenoids yet. The lines are right from turbo to wastegate while I break in the engine. Im gonna use the softer springs and whatever they spike to ill just use that at the min. boost and make it so the boost doesnt drop off from there.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call me I might be able to help
Old 04-10-2011, 05:46 PM
10 Second Club

##? And when do you want me to call?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:40 AM
10 Second Club

After doing some reading..this statement seems to best fit whats going on with my car...

"Any spike in boost is going to be due to the wastegate not able to open fast enough, or wide enough to allow exhaust bypass. Essentially when you ramp up boost as fast as the stock turbo does, the wastegate doesn't open fast enough to allow the exhaust gases to reroute around the turbine wheel, which causes the turbo to spin much faster than its supposed to be spinning, and causes a spike in pressure.

As the wastegate opens fully, the spike in pressure will drop to a lower level since enough exhaust gases are allowed to bypass the turbine wheel."

Im gonna go with a guess and say the fact that I have 2 gates running off one source is causing the problem. While watching the guage and listening for the gates to open, they open really late...and as soon as they open the boost drops off which to me sounds like it isn't a slow issue with the gates but a response issue. Im going to install the 3.62psi springs in the car and see what I get minimum in 1st gear and work from there to stabilize it with the EB2.

The spike is the worst in 4th gear at gate pressure but as I up the boost the spike decreases. I turned it up a little today but set the crack pressure to 0 and left it there as I upped the boost little by little. I get a 3psi spike when set to gate pressure but only a 1psi spike when I set it to 10psi. Im sure if I up the boost to 15psi and set the crack pressure somewhere between 8-10psi that the spike would go away.

This turbo hits extremely hard on my setup which I think is causing the issue. Since ill never run minimum boost in 4th, the boost will be more controllable the higher I go if I dial it in correctly with my controller at say 15-20psi. Once I get the car back from the body shop and finish up all the small odds and ends I will report back with my findings. I have access to a few dynos in the area that will allow me to mess with this more.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

Did you ever solve this issue? I think I have the same gate as you and I'm having the same identical problem. 2-3lb spike at low boost and spike goes away with higher boost levels...

Quick Reply: Twin 38mm wastegates with 6lbs springs in each spiking to 8 then settling....???