Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Piston options for my LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Piston options for my LQ4

I just took my LQ4 out of my car after loosing compression on two cyliners. I discover two crushed ring lands but no other damage to cylinder walls. My original pistons appear to be foating wrist pins and the spares that I have are pressed in. My guess is the ones I have as spares aren't from a LQ4 like the guy said.

With that being said I'm considering either swapping in an entire set of forged pistons and maybe rods. My question is who sells stock size forged replacement pistons only? Or will I be forced to buy pistons and rods.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rockoosi1
I just took my LQ4 out of my car after loosing compression on two cyliners. I discover two crushed ring lands but no other damage to cylinder walls. My original pistons appear to be foating wrist pins and the spares that I have are pressed in. My guess is the ones I have as spares aren't from a LQ4 like the guy said.

With that being said I'm considering either swapping in an entire set of forged pistons and maybe rods. My question is who sells stock size forged replacement pistons only? Or will I be forced to buy pistons and rods.
you can buy just the pistons. weisco makes pistons for the stock bore size (4.000) or if you hone it out a lil bigger (4.005) or (4.030) so depending on if you machine the block, you can get any of those sizes. Its always good to put a light hone on the block to help the new piston ring seal.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rockoosi1

Can I ask what you were doing when you broke the ring lands if you know? I'm assuming detonation? Power levels and such?

I only ask because I have a builder LQ4 that will be going into my car after one more season with the VG 3 liter.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SATAN
Can I ask what you were doing when you broke the ring lands if you know? I'm assuming detonation? Power levels and such?

I only ask because I have a builder LQ4 that will be going into my car after one more season with the VG 3 liter.
I had been running about 6psi of boost using the MAF but got greedy and turned it up to about 10 psi. My tune got away from me and thats when I noticed I had lots of blow by. When I put it back I will get rid of the MAF and go SD.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used wiseco 4.005 pistons and gave it a. 005 hone. The block was stock with 70k miles on it. Flatlanderracing.com has the best prices, call them tho, the prices they have online are not correct. I paid just over 500 bucks with rings.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by turbo iroc
I used wiseco 4.005 pistons and gave it a. 005 hone. The block was stock with 70k miles on it. Flatlanderracing.com has the best prices, call them tho, the prices they have online are not correct. I paid just over 500 bucks with rings.
Would you happen to have part numbers? Also did you change your CR at all? I called Flatlanderracing and he wanted CC of the heads, desired CR etc. because he didn't know what the standard replacements would be. I'm trying to change anything other than adding a little strength.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
you can buy just the pistons. weisco makes pistons for the stock bore size (4.000) or if you hone it out a lil bigger (4.005) or (4.030) so depending on if you machine the block, you can get any of those sizes. Its always good to put a light hone on the block to help the new piston ring seal.
This is actually all I want to do is just put a light hone and go with forged replacemnets pistons. Would you happen to have any part numbers?
Old 04-25-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

No it was so long ago... it was I was using eagle rods also, might have been 9.2cr with a 72 CC chamber. Stock truck heads are 71cc I believe. I sold the rods and pistons and went with a stroker crank. Are you trying to use the stock rods? If so the pin diameters are different and it'll be tough to find a set of forged pistons for stock rods. I wanted to do the same thing at first, just put good pistons on the stock rods, but I couldn't find anyone who made them. The rods were cheap too under 400 from Flatlanderracing. Ill see if I have any pictures that show the part number for you.
PS if your motor was an lq4 it should have dished pistons, do a search to find out what CR lq4s are. Mine was an lq9 and had flat pistons so I decided to go with a lower comp piston.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They should be something like -4cc or something, very small dish in the LQ4 pistons, you might get an eye dropper and see how much water you can fit on your piston dish, it will be a real rough estimate but should get you close.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:07 PM
Launching!

glad to see your coming to the dark side satan, ls motors and z cars were made for each other
Old 04-25-2011, 08:07 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing you need to watch when running a std GM bore is the bore is usually 4.0015~4.002'' and not right on 4''. Most manufacturers base their std pistons off a true 4'' bore and will lead to too much clearence. If you hone to 4.005' and get a 4.005'' piston you won't have to wory about this.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (11-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Piston options for my LQ4