Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PT88 turbo LS6 wont pull past 5k, w/dyno graph

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could just be that you are blowing out the spark or you need to close the gaps on the plugs a little bit.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Yep, that's a common thought right now. Except I've closed the gap down to .017 and it still does it.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

My car makes around 1200 hp and runs a stock dwell table and stock truck coils with the big taylor wires and a tr6.

I honestly believe the non resistor plugs cause interferance issues with the stock ecm/coils.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

but I'm currently running a BR7EF plug... which is a resistor type plug. Agreed?
Old 04-29-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Eagle02
but I'm currently running a BR7EF plug... which is a resistor type plug. Agreed?
Correct, Sorry I mis-read the initial post and thought it was a normal #7 non resistor non projected plug. Try putting a projected tip back in and see if it helps.....
Old 04-29-2011, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

About a year ago, I had a car on the dyno. Procharged bbc. While n the dyno, I changed plugs........the next pull netted 160 rwhp and 200 ft lbs......

The kicker.....it ran fine before. No miss, same tune, no knock, etc etc.....infact driving the car before was fine.....just down on power. It didnt run flat, just didnt make power. $20 set of plugs and 160 rwhp.

When it happened, everyone was .......what.....? what was that?....
Old 04-29-2011, 10:12 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by tirefryin_s10
My car makes around 1200 hp and runs a stock dwell table and stock truck coils with the big taylor wires and a tr6.

I honestly believe the non resistor plugs cause interferance issues with the stock ecm/coils.
I have NEVER seen non-resistor plugs cause interference on any LS1 that I have ever tuned and we have used those types of plugs for longer than I can remember without issue.

Originally Posted by Mr.Nguyen
could just be that you are blowing out the spark or you need to close the gaps on the plugs a little bit.
I wouldn't think it would be blowing out the spark with that small of a gap and at that power level.

Yes, it's resistor and that plug is just fine.

Originally Posted by turbo iroc
I'm leaning towards the lifter issue. Lifters collapsing under load. Stock lifters? Maybe try a slightly shorter pushrod.
I'm wondering if its a lifter issue as well?
Old 04-29-2011, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any more info as to why it might be the drums? Mine falls flat early with my Th400, I always figured it was just first gear not keeping much load on it, I only get 6 - 8 psi in first. Then it goes to 10 in other gears.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Z28Camaro
Any more info as to why it might be the drums? Mine falls flat early with my Th400, I always figured it was just first gear not keeping much load on it, I only get 6 - 8 psi in first. Then it goes to 10 in other gears.
That's a load based issue. The OP is saying that his car wont turn more than 5K RPM in 2nd and 3rd gear. Like a brake holding the motor back.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
That's a load based issue. The OP is saying that his car wont turn more than 5K RPM in 2nd and 3rd gear. Like a brake holding the motor back.
Precisely.

At this point I've got plugs, lifters, springs and the trans as an option. Hurts to pull the trans out and send it to the shop as a guess.

Could this REALLY be a plug issue? I mean, BRAND NEW BR7EF plugs were installed on the dyno, gapped at .17-.22...
Old 04-29-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
misfires rarely get picked up as knock
Agreed... I had a piston with a hole in it and it covered that spark plug with oil. It still ran, but really crappily.

checked the car with a tech 2 and it showed NO misfires and NO knock. LOL
Old 04-29-2011, 12:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Precisely.

At this point I've got plugs, lifters, springs and the trans as an option. Hurts to pull the trans out and send it to the shop as a guess.

Could this REALLY be a plug issue? I mean, BRAND NEW BR7EF plugs were installed on the dyno, gapped at .17-.22...
i wouldnt be surprised if you change the plugs the problem goes away... i have "never" had good luck with the non-projected tip plugs in a LS engine with high cylinder pressure.... if its not that i likely is some on the ground circuit of the coil packs
Old 04-29-2011, 12:47 PM
7 Second Club

Conversely I would be very surprised if you changed the plugs and that fixed it as I have never had a problem with non-projected tip plugs. Pretty much all higher powered vehicles I tune run non-projected tip plugs and they all run without issue. I guess that's not to say that you may have had a bad plug out of the box because I have seen that before.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

i wouldnt be surprised if you change the plugs the problem goes away... i have "never" had good luck with the non-projected tip plugs in a LS engine with high cylinder pressure.... if its not that i likely is some on the ground circuit of the coil packs
Ryne, I like how you think cuz that's exactly what I called it at first myself (coil pack ground issue).

I'll call around and see if I can find some of these BP7EFS plugs and pop those in for my cruise tonight...

I took it for a drive today after resetting the gap on the BR7EF plugs (slightly warmer than it has been lately) and the car ran just fine on pump gas and ~12psi. No stumble, no wall, no nothing.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NicD
Conversely I would be very surprised if you changed the plugs and that fixed it as I have never had a problem with non-projected tip plugs. Pretty much all higher powered vehicles I tune run non-projected tip plugs and they all run without issue. I guess that's not to say that you may have had a bad plug out of the box because I have seen that before.
Yea, I ran BR7EF plugs in the car before when it was still a t56 car and it ran quite well on them. I'm just at a loss for what to do next. It's either a coil ground issue, plug issue, or trans issue at this point IMO.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Banned

keep us updated im curious to see what it is.

Originally Posted by 1320
About a year ago, I had a car on the dyno. Procharged bbc. While n the dyno, I changed plugs........the next pull netted 160 rwhp and 200 ft lbs......

The kicker.....it ran fine before. No miss, same tune, no knock, etc etc.....infact driving the car before was fine.....just down on power. It didnt run flat, just didnt make power. $20 set of plugs and 160 rwhp.

When it happened, everyone was .......what.....? what was that?....
from what plug to what plug tho?!
Old 04-29-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Busy Mopper
from what plug to what plug tho?!
That's exactly what I'm curious about as well.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
well you have been lucky.... everytime i have used them i have had issues...
Old 04-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1st gear seems to pull fine, but then 2nd and 3rd both have the issue.

Even on low boost the issue is still there.

What would you suggest to test? 1st gear pulls at something shy of WOT?
Ryne, I like how you think cuz that's exactly what I called it at first myself (coil pack ground issue).

I'll call around and see if I can find some of these BP7EFS plugs and pop those in for my cruise tonight...

I took it for a drive today after resetting the gap on the BR7EF plugs (slightly warmer than it has been lately) and the car ran just fine on pump gas and ~12psi. No stumble, no wall, no nothing.
Had you tried 12 psi before and it didn't work but now it does or had you not turned it down that much before?
Old 04-29-2011, 03:27 PM
7 Second Club

well you have been lucky.... everytime i have used them i have had issues...
Yeah me and the rest of the people who have never had an issue with non-projected tip spark plugs got lucky.

Quick Reply: PT88 turbo LS6 wont pull past 5k, w/dyno graph