Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ok finally starting my ERL 427 install in the 99TT

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I am not sure which wheels. Just got the 70lb min setup. I am pretty confident the setup will be insane as was very happy with the standard aps turbos on my built 408. Even at 7.5psi with the 3.54 gears and yank stall in the 4l80 and stuff it was just nuts and my car is mostly street/show car not drag race track car. I mostly went to the LG for reliability reasons over the standard aps turbos. Went up to ERL engine since my 408 died and well just like the sound of "427" LOL . As you can see from my sig and my 08 Z06. Only thing better than big cube is big cube and FI!

Working on car today should get fair bit done. Still trying to decide if want to go to 10psi base springs or leave the 7.5 base springs in there.
Have set of each. Am going to be ramping the boost by gear so maybe 7.5 is best as long as can get enough boost when want to dial it up. I run eboost2 controller.
Yeah, the ones that flow ~70 lb/min. are the 82mm exducer HTA wheels.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good progress today. Trans is on the engine and engine and trans are on the kmember bolted up. Finishing up some pre install detail stuff, switching my soft trans line hacked together setup for some hardline and some flex stainless lines.
neating up some other stuff as well. Another day or so not a huge deal as when get bored just drive the new Z06 around. Temps have been near 100 degrees here last while so not that turbo friendly anyway.
I did have some cooling problems with air on previously but have done a few things that could help this time around. I had a ron davis rad last season and have higher flow water pump and 160 stat and of course turn the fans on at very low settings both of them.
But was running the aps with no water cooling since had internal crack in one of them and had iron block now have aluminum block and also have ceramic coated the exhaust manifolds and exhaust housings so maybe all that will help.I have been also running trans lines thru the ron davis rad into aux cooler but may go to bigger cooler and not run thru the rad.

If it still overheats with air on may take out the air,save weight and solve the problem both at same time.I can live without air on this car not a huge deal take off the t roofs or whatever. Its not my daily driver.Have lots of vehicles with air.
And its not 100 degrees much around here although moving from Saskatchewan to BC next month where it does get a bit hotter.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

More work on 99 today. Should be putting it into the car tonite. Buddy/mechanic is taking off though till sunday night so be next week when get it finished up and running.
Starting to get pretty excited!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Got the engine in the car last night! It went in pretty good not too much problem and did it from bottom like did when put in my shortlived 408.

We have kmember bolted in and shock tower bolts in now. Won't be anything much happening now till monday when mechanic/buddy gets back from out of town. I will maybe do few things before then but leave the bigger stuff for him. We still have to finish up new trans lines.And of course lots of little things to do, exhaust ,drive shaft, torque arm,wiring,
fans,etc.etc.Take some more pics soon. Next week should for sure have car up and running.

I am moving out west to British Columbia at end of August just bought some investment property and house out there but if things work out with the 99TT will try to get it on dyno and try to take it for a 1/4 mile run in this province at SIR or maybe Swift Current.
Where I am moving Kelowna,British Columbia they have an 1/8th mile track and think its at fairly high altitude. One option might be to go to Mission ,BC which is a sea level track.

Also not sure where closest dyno is to my new home. There are some in Sask and think some for sure in Calgary and Edmonton but don't think my new city has one. So may have to go on bit long drive to get it on dyno.
Don't expect to get many runs in without getting kicked off. No rollbar in the car. May put in one not sure yet but even with that it would only be legal for 10.0 and this car should be able to get into the 9s without too much trouble.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting close!!! Yes, 9's with no sweat....going to be a beast for sure!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

Good work man! We are pretty much at the same point. I will be putting my engine back in within the next week. How were the shock tower mounts? Those were rediculous for me to get in! But I took my engine out through the top this time. Just lifted it straight off the APS kit and manifolds. Worked out pretty well. Can't wait till mines back up, and I bet you feel the same.

Good luck with the rest of the build!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Good work man! We are pretty much at the same point. I will be putting my engine back in within the next week. How were the shock tower mounts? Those were rediculous for me to get in! But I took my engine out through the top this time. Just lifted it straight off the APS kit and manifolds. Worked out pretty well. Can't wait till mines back up, and I bet you feel the same.

Good luck with the rest of the build!
This is my second time going thru going from bottom and really like it better.
Pull it all at once,trans,etc.
No problems really with shock mounts but had two guys and me working on it so someone in each wheelwell and me on the hoist worked great. Cake really.

Am of course very excited to get car running but might sell the 99TT when its up and running not sure yet.I got my Z06 now and if 99 sells would get a 2005 or newer Viper. And would leave them stock.Or at least try to its hard for an old modder like me.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Be working on car this evening mechanic buddy is back from few days holiday and actually might have another pair of hands as well with his buddy.
So should get a lot done. Take some new pics as well.
This should be the week!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Good luck! DO WORK! Def take pictures! When do you have a date to get it tuned? Soon after you're done?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Good luck! DO WORK! Def take pictures! When do you have a date to get it tuned? Soon after you're done?
Things are going good. Not too much to take pics of since just engine in there now and hooking up stuff.

But going full speed ahead with three of us on it. Fuel lines on ,fuel filter ,fuel reg on and hooked up. Had to solder some wires into car that cut when doing the removal..done. Put ecu back in and hooked up all harness plugs down that side. Got map sensor back in and hooked up. Hooking up blow off lines to valve covers. Putting in steering shaft. Brake lines rehooked up. ground rehooked on passenger side. Throttle cables and cruise cable on and some sensors hooked up like tps, iac. Ran wiring down for starter. Steering shaft on.
So not sure how much more tonite before call it quits not going to be an allnighter tonite.
Think tomorrow should be doing alternator,starter, heater hoses, rad hoses and fans. Still have to do intercooler pipes, inlet pipes.
Oh here is LG turbo tip. The lg turbos came with the bottom hole plugged so used top hole on the passenger turbo and think drivers as well. Talking for the water lines. It made no difference on the drivers side but on the passenger side now the fitting which is like 90 degree is on the frame. We may try to use different fitting not sure yet what going to do .The aps kit has poly mounts so minimum motor rocking. Do you guys think that line on frame will cause weird noises or other problems.It not as said line on frame but fitting on the frame.
Should have removed the LG bottom knock in plugs and used bottom hole.It should be threaded like the aps turbos but aps has plugs in there threaded not knock ins like LG. I may have got vette turbos or something.
So hopefully can work that problem out. Trans is still not up yet so that may help if we mess on it.
Banjo fitting might work best and give more clearance if can get it one and get the other one off.

Last things likely to do are to put exhaust on, crossmember, driveshaft,finish up our hard lines for trans and put some stainless flex on there too at cooler.
Then of course fill with oil and coolant. Put in a base tune and hopefully it all fires up and runs ok.

as for tuning.Will as said give it base tune. Am pretty handy with hptuners.
Will take it hopefully for dyno and track run but moving to BC end of august so likely not time to take it to local 1/4 mile tracks which are SIR or maybe Swift Current or to dyno all depends have super busy month packing and moving like 1000 or more miles. Also have to drive out z06 to BC. Wife refused to drive thru mountains so have to fly back and then drive her and family out there.
And then maybe fly back again to bring 99TT out or leave it in storage till next year. I have considered selling it and do have it for sale on canadian section and in local free buy sells. But of course it isn't running yet so realize need to finish it of course to sell it . But once its running likely won't sell it . Do love it and am addicted to the boost experience and did run it last few seaons with the 408. It had a big problem with vibrations past 100mph or so so only ran it on my home timer toy. And only couple times. Got horrible 60fts on the street with like 2.8 and 3.0 60fts! And had toyo drag radials on there. Aired them up and aired or down. No effect really. Was launching off idle no two step even. Vibration problem think solved ,think it was bolt that was not tightened after wheel alignment! Also think have set torque arm bit different for dana 60. Read to set it opposite trans down angle??

Anyway it did like 12.2 at 128 mph at 7.5psi with the small aps turbos and the 408. Not bad really. With a decent 1.6 or so with the 3400 yank and the two step and at track on my et street radials maybe would have done a 11 or 10.

But long story short. May not get time to run it quartermile or dyno it before leave and of course if sell it thats end of that. Buying a viper if it sells have eye on snakeskin green 2008 vert. Keeping my 08 Z06 of course too. At least until c7 z06 comes out.
Where I am moving Kelowna BC has an 1/8 mile track called thunder mountain.
May run it there but would prefer 1/4 mile track. Not sure but think mission is like 5 hours from me. Mission BC is sealevel track so that would be best of course and its 1/4 mile. And car is street car so driveable there not trailer car.
Kept it very streetable,mild cam, 3400 stall, 3.54 gears. All very steetable. And would think best to take it to Vancouver for tuning. Edmonton is like 11 hours away but have friends there and Calgary is 8 or so and also have friends there. But Vancouver is like 4 hours away. Kelowna think has only mustang dyno and while they are alright for tuning still not big fan of them. I have seen a mustang give three different readings on friends car depending on how they played with it. Once it was set to dynojet equivalent,once to mustang standard and once to where they felt it should be. Think dynojet is more consistent and more common.
It is very mild off boost and a tiger on boost of course. Even at 7.5 psi it impressed with the 408. Expecting big things from the new 427 and the bigger LG upgrade turbos. Guess find out in a few days after some break in miles on the ERL engine.
I can taste the boost already guys.

Last edited by MY99TAWS6; 08-04-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Veteran

photo of back of engine with blow offs ,downpipes and tci flexplate
Old 07-26-2011, 12:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Photo of engine as it sits tonite

Old 07-27-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Todays update so far. Alt in ,serpentine belt on. Rad fans in and hooked up. Starter in ,wired. Messed around bit on waterline on passenger side ,switched left and right coolant fittings to get more clearance better now. Didn't do any grinding at all on the bmr aps kmember. Not sure why few guys did. We did clock the turbos by removing the snap rings to get things just right however.
Tonite likely rad hoses will be on and not sure what else. Tomorrow would think be doing stuff near back ,trans crossmember,driveshaft,exhaust. And still doing hard lines and some stainless flex lines on the trans which could delay start up a few more days. Mechanic buddies are going away for weekend so won't get much more done till monday.
Was looking forward to cruising around this weekend but these things take time and taking more time to do things right,better.

Not taking too much more for pics. Nothing really to take pics of. When its fired up and running around maybe take some videos of it. Still got some time left this season to maybe dyno and track in Sask before move to BC but just found out mission BC is only 4 hours away from me and its sea level 1/4 mile track! Thunder mountain 25 miles from me is 1/8 mile and think pretty high altitude.

Last edited by MY99TAWS6; 07-27-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Power working the 99TT today! Trans lines hooked up. Used hard line for most and get some stainless flex in next few days used some rubber for now to get car up and running bit sooner.

Picked up some napa wix gold filters,some 10/40 non synth and of some antifreeze.
Mechanic figures maybe have it fired up today but with just exhaust on first not with driveshaft or torqe arm but again see how it goes. charging up my optima red top and be working on base tune likely this afternoon. Maybe could be crusing it this weekend.
Need to get wheel alignment right away though too.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:17 PM
TECH Veteran

More done! Used hard line and some rubber line to get the car up and running can put on stainless flex next week or whatever for the trans.
Exhaust on,driveshaft on,shift hooked up,more little wiring stuff done.crossmember in for trans.
Just couple more things to hook like abs and just turbo inlet pipes and intercooler pipes and blow offs to put back in. Really really close now!

Possible start up tonite. But wouldn't drive it till tomorrow have to throw plates back on it first once see things are looking ok.

Thing should be crazy crazy. Right now just running 7.5psi springs for break in.
Not using the eboost2 its just on there for monitoring right now. Get it functional after 500 miles or so of shakedown. Also still have to install the AIS injection in the car and few other minor things.

Well off to work on base tune.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok fired it up!
Sounded really good I know should have got video of it. Oil pressure looks good ,base tune seems to be ok. Just ran ,heat cycled it and got air out of system. Don't want to keep idling it will try to get it finished up on monday, some plates on it so can drive it. Sounds pretty smooth with maybe a bit of strange lope sound. This is ls9 cam in there. Not sure if that is normal for the ls9 or not. But it idled good and did'nt hear any piston slap at all. Lifters already seem to be pretty quiet as well.

But mechanic buddies are all out of town until monday so guess just have to be content it is running and sounding good.

Do have one issue though ,pretty minor and had this issue before with old 408 but got it figured out. Have cam sensor code so it starts but not on first crank.
Last time it turned out to be cam sensor plug on car wiring harness we took it apart and fixed it pretty easily once figured out what it was.it was intermittent problem.This time its not intermittent so maybe its something else maybe
cam sensor is at fault not sure. Do bit more research. problem is hard as hell to get to the cam sensor factory plug its down side of block now and not really any clearance with engine in the car to get to it. have idea to maybe jumper something direct from ecu to cam sensor that might be easier. Had to jumper off some wires for 4l80 conversion so not that hard to do. just find the wire that is not making good connection,solder off it and reconnect farther down at least cam sensor is at the front this time now.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok think have it figured out. It seems very common on the harnesses you buy to convert ot front cam sensor they have two outer wires reversed which causes this and is easy fix. So try that out on monday and pretty sure that should fix problem as its not intermittent like last time had problem its constant basically indicating no signal you sure put in the proper cam sensor timing set and did loctite my bolts so its not loose cam.

Buddy is handy with electronics just have him change those wires in connector for me and thankfully its right in front of the engine super easy to get too.

Should be feeling that boost on monday!!! Yes!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:00 PM
9 Second Club

glad things are going well. i took a break on the car stuff so you guys could get to my level lol J/K

ive been playing with diesel stuff
Old 07-29-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tomz28
glad things are going well. i took a break on the car stuff so you guys could get to my level lol J/K

ive been playing with diesel stuff
Well diesel stuff sounds fun. Maybe get me one sometime.

Hopefully the wire swap fixes that cam sensor code that am getting. Waiting till monday for my mechanics to get home is hard to do. Its nice weather this weekend too.But a couple more days is not that bad been waiting a long time to get my car up again.

I will be super happy to run your times Tom. That would be plenty fast enough for me. Maybe you have to come visit me and drive my car since you obviously can pilot one of these turbo beasts.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:31 PM
9 Second Club

i would not want to drive, because than id want a ERL427 as well lol. if id stop fing round and pull a head off the car i could have it fixed but this heat is killing me and after work im dont want to do ****

Quick Reply: Ok finally starting my ERL 427 install in the 99TT