Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ok finally starting my ERL 427 install in the 99TT

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ok finally starting my ERL 427 install in the 99TT

Finally buddy has time to do my 427 install in my 99. Did this couple years ago with my 408 but it lost oil pressure near end of last season so figured since yanking it anyway might as well put in something bigger and better and this way my vette and 99TT share the same cubic inches.
Only thing better than FI is big cubes and FI!

We did the 408 by lifting the car off the engine in my garage with cherry picker ,worked ok and less chance of mucking things up as far as I am cocerned.

Will be taking our time not in huge rush ,have my new silver Z to keep me amused until the 99TT is back up and about.

Also this time around going to send out exhaust manifolds and turbo exhaust housings for ceramic coating,not worried if it takes a few extra weeks for that.Figure taking our time it will be three of four days to get the engine out.
I got a semi assembled short block from ERL. They did pistons, crank,rods so still have to do the cam,etc. Should have everything here to finish things up been ordering and collecting parts over winter months. And its long winter up here in central canada. Moving to western canada next spring so can have more time to drive my toys and better roads and weather. Life is too short to put up with negative 40 below days ,sometimes for weeks on end!

Can post some pics as things proceed. Changed up some stuff since the 408.
Going to ls9 cam and went down to 1.7 rockers from 1.8 yella terras figure dont' really need that extra lift. Will be installing the LG turbos now was just running on the standard aps turbos before and never went past 7.5 psi on them. Think will be putting in 10psi base springs on the LG turbos and hook up my eboost 2 solenoids and have gear based boost ramping as option as well. Running my 4 bolt afr 225 heads for now but got my ERL setup for 6 bolt if need to go to 6 bolt in the future. I dont' think will be necessary and doubt will run much past 15psi or so ever.

I set goals for this car of 9.99 1/4 and 800rwhp. Possibly like to see 1000rwhp but that could be combo of small shot say 125 or so of spray and boost not sure and not a big deal. 800rwhp is crazy lots for any street car. Was pretty happy running the 408 at 7.5 psi no spray and would think that was putting out 600 to maybe 650 rwhp and car was animal and hard to hook.
Never tracked or dynoed the 408 setup. Was going to when 408 lost all oil pressure and then parked car and that was that for last season.

This is a street car though and once its done its hopefully 9.99 would be retired from track. I have race talon for track use. 99 is mostly a street/show car. More pics of car in my photo file.

Here are some pics of the start of the r and r. Today put in about 3 hours and removed ypipe, torque arm and driveshaft.
Be working on it mostly every day now until engine is out.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Luck with the build.
I have a 408 with just a procharger d1sc with 700 rwhp.
Sound like you should be in the 800 with no problems.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good man! Run the boost that block/combo is built for! lol That thing should be able to make 1K on boost alone!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

killer motor.... i'm so jealous!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
Looks good man! Run the boost that block/combo is built for! lol That thing should be able to make 1K on boost alone!
Yeah it should do 1000rwhp on boost alone no spray. Spray is mostly there for intimidation and car shows. Would only run small shots anyway 75 to 125 type of thing.

This is just a street car to me and really was pretty happy at 7.5 psi on stock aps turbos on the 408. But do like my big cube engines and figured to go back to aluminum again so the ERL was natural choice. LSX blocks being Iron.

I am getting old or something but lately seem to be happy with less power in my vehicles as really on the street can't hook them up too great anyway and not really into running et street radials 24/7 although did try the toyo drag radials last season. Car has never been to track. Did run incar timer on street and got 12.2 at 125mph with extra 300 pound passenger in the car. Was only able to get 2.8 60fts no matter what we tried on the toyo drag radials ,aired them up,down, heated them longer shorter, 2.8! LOL didn't even bother using the two step it was even more pathetic. Have set of et street radials to try out this season. And will set it up to ramp boost by gear. Heck might add variable traction control as well my car has no stock traction control. Wish it at least had that. My vette has great traction control and other nanny stuff.

But leaving that one stock for a few years,maybe forever. These hyper modded cars can become bottomless pits!
Old 05-12-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Didn't take any new pics but worked on car last few days. About 6 hours into it so far. Things take a bit longer when you have a front mount tt kit on there.
Close to pulling out old 408 ,should have it out tomorrow or by monday latest. Weather has turned nice lately making it even more depressing having the car down. Again going to take engine out bottom like did when installed the 408 and just use cherry picker to do it.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Should be out tomorrow. Got turbo 400 yoke to put in my 4l80 since didn't drain out fluid.
Things take bit longer to do since have the twin turbo kit in there. Going out bottom again prefer to do it that way . I will be sliding it out side with those dollies under front wheels.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking nice man! Def keep us updated!
Old 05-14-2011, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

Why such a small cam with a 427?
Old 05-14-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sluggish
Why such a small cam with a 427?
I like my cams very mellow in what is pretty much just a street car. I hate low speed cam surge! Hate it hate it! Also with boost you run more chance of floating valves so better to go more mellow lower lift and thus also went with 1.7 rockers instead of my 1.8 also easier on springs, less chance of floating things under boost.
I should have zero cam surge with the ls9 cam and it should be very easy to tune. All good.And really I have way more power with the 427 and LG turbos and spray then would ever possibly use. So no reason to push the cam for more power. I should be able to hit 1000rwhp no spray on this combo.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Three hours work with two of my buddies /master mechanics.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Nice work man! Keep it going
Old 05-14-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
Nice work man! Keep it going
Thanks.. I like taking them out the bottom. works pretty good I think. The straps worked well and we didn't really have any problems getting enough height even with wheels on and the wheel dollies make it come out easer had wood dolly under engine /trans.Cake really.

Curious now to see what find with my 408 but think will find fubared bearings but hope crank is saveable its callies crank not dragonslayer but still good one.

Also kind of happy that went back to aluminum block,save some weight and they look nicer dont' have to paint them.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

I've taken my motor out through the bottom most of the times. I usually use the hobby shop on Camp Pendleton but this last go around I just did it in my garage. I'll have to try it your way....didn't look to bad doing it that way. Post some more pics of the new combo!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Not much new yet. Exhaust parts and turbo housings are at coater expecting them back in another week or so. Been mostly cleaning out garage and working on some other vehicles that am selling. But should be working on the 99 engines shortly and hoping to have the 427 all ready so when the exhaust parts arrive can just throw it in the car . Sure can have it running couple days after the engine is in there.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Picked up my exhaust manifolds and turbo exh housings yesterday from bus depot. They were done in titanium? 2000 degree coating. Costs were pretty reasonable with cleaning and coating coming in at like 300 or so plus shipping of 100 or so on top of that. Should stand up really good. Will take some pics of them in next few days.

So hopefully will get going on the 408 disassembly and the 427 assembly this coming week. Still expect be week or so till engine is in the car and week or so more till running and am going on holiday June 19 to July 2 so if not done before that will be after when get back.

I am very anxious of course to get the car up and running again and my new toy is easing my pain some, but while the 08 Z is fun it don't make any cool turbo noises and don't scare hell out of me and my passengers near as much as my 99 does. Maybe should get an edelbrock blower on it soon.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Another 4 hours with buddy into car today. Got the 408 onto stand now and the 427 and stripped the 408 down to pretty much nothing today. Did some minor detective work so far to see what went wrong in it but so far found bit of metal in pickup screen but didn't take off main caps yet just some rod caps and they look ok.
May not go much more into it right now as priority is to assemble and get the ERL 427 in the car and up and running. Parts are going to get washed and stuff tomorrow like my afr 225s,etc and should be assembling 427 day or so after that. Things can go pretty quick as have few mechanic buddies to help me do this and with two or three people things can really fly along. No hoist though its all in garage with cherry picker the old fashioned way.

Just pic of 408 on stand but we have as said it all apart now but still has pistons, crank, rods and cam in there. Rest has been removed.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Veteran

i like the idea of the ramps under the back tires like that. lol. Everything looks great man! I bet you are starting to get stoked!

FUnny how the closer you get to the finish line, the more motivation you get, lol
Old 06-02-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JAX04
i like the idea of the ramps under the back tires like that. lol. Everything looks great man! I bet you are starting to get stoked!

FUnny how the closer you get to the finish line, the more motivation you get, lol
Yes ramps are nice and solid and worked good and it came out easy enough with cherry picker in garage and those wheel dollies let it slide out sideways.

Done this twice now.Once to put in 408 and now to put in 427.
Oh well such is life in the big leagues.

I am getting pretty damn excited now you are right as can feel the boost already! LOL its been too long car went down around september last year. We put them away in november usually till end march. Happy am moving to warmer place next year so should get extra two or so months of driving my toys and that suits me fine. Milder winters suite me fine too. And better roads. Our roads here are in horrendous condition and will only get worse. They built this city on terrible soil. They can never catch up on the road repairs.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

when I grow up, I want a 427TT street/strip car

Quick Reply: Ok finally starting my ERL 427 install in the 99TT