Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

891 RWHP with Vortech & LTX

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome build!

I just purchased a 385 LT1 with all the goodies...splayed 4 bolt, Dragonslayer crank, oliver rods, diamond pistons, AFR 227 heads ported by Lloyd, Jesel shaft mounted rockers, morel bar lifters, edelbrock LT4 airgap intake...more im probably forgetting lol.

I'm planning on bolting on an F1-A procharger sometime in the next year, tentative goal of 800 rwhp.

I currently plan on keeping the opti...do you think the 24x conversion is worth the 2 grand it costs?
Old 12-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Valkyn
Awesome build!

I just purchased a 385 LT1 with all the goodies...splayed 4 bolt, Dragonslayer crank, oliver rods, diamond pistons, AFR 227 heads ported by Lloyd, Jesel shaft mounted rockers, morel bar lifters, edelbrock LT4 airgap intake...more im probably forgetting lol.

I'm planning on bolting on an F1-A procharger sometime in the next year, tentative goal of 800 rwhp.

I currently plan on keeping the opti...do you think the 24x conversion is worth the 2 grand it costs?
Hand down I would recommend the 24X system. It has made the car so drivable and so easy to tune. I actually hated this car to drive untill we put this system on. If you are not afraid of doing some wiring. Buy the DIY kit and you can get it all for around 1K.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
I had the same issues with my exhaust. On a mild tuneup mine made 660 rwhp though the T56 with Hooker LT's (1 3/4"-3") and a 2OTL catback. I've since found a set of Hedman 1 7/8"- 3.5" headers I'm going to, with a set of 3.5" duals dumped. Hopefully when I turn it up the headers won't be my restriction.
Do you know the part # of the 1 7/8's. I can see if some of my warehouse venders still have some laying around.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YSILT1
Do you know the part # of the 1 7/8's. I can see if some of my warehouse venders still have some laying around.
Hedman #65385. These have a Stahl bolt pattern. I bought mine used with adapters, I don't know if they come with them from Hedman or not.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Location: Weatherford Tx 76085 corner of N. Hwy 51 and 150 Green branch Rd.

Originally Posted by Valkyn
Awesome build!

Do yourself a favor and don't think twice about staying with the Lt1 Pcm! I know it seems like a lot of dough, but it is one of the best upgrades you can do. I mean being able to run Ls1 pcm which is light years ahead of the Lt1 and running coil per cylinder and doing away with all the opti-crap you have to deal with, it just makes no sense why you would want to keep the opti nemesis around your high dollar build!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I was wondering how this drives on the street with the cog system on it. I read somewhere that a cog system doesn't drive as well as using a regular ribbed pulley set-up. I'm trying to decide between turbo and SC for my next build. I really like the look of the cog belt over all the hotside turbo piping
Old 01-19-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My buddy daily drives his Vortech T-trim 383 LT4. Not sure how it compares to the rib setup tho. Isn't this car now for sale?! Still interested to see what it would do with bigger exhaust and meth.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:33 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
I was wondering how this drives on the street with the cog system on it. I read somewhere that a cog system doesn't drive as well as using a regular ribbed pulley set-up. I'm trying to decide between turbo and SC for my next build. I really like the look of the cog belt over all the hotside turbo piping
The cog setup won't effect driveability one bit. I drove mine a bunch with both setups and couldn't tell a difference.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
The cog setup won't effect driveability one bit. I drove mine a bunch with both setups and couldn't tell a difference.
Awesome, that's the answer I was looking for!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Great build, great numbers for an LT, But I am going against the grain on the 24x set up, Don't get me wrong, the key is, if you can afford it, by all means it is a better system with the coil on plug and eliminating the opti crap. Can you tune an LT PCM to do the same as far as drive ability..YES, Mine, still using the LT PCM, but I did go to a Dynaspark a few years ago that solved my opti problems, Drive ability? 722 RWHP with AC and a DD, on the highway or in the city. people get caught up on the internet and think that they "NEED" a certain setup to be able to achieve the street manners and goals for a DD. If you have a good tuner, be it EFI Live, HP or the ole LT1 Edit, they can get the job done..Its all in the tune..
Old 01-22-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Great build, great numbers for an LT, But I am going against the grain on the 24x set up, Don't get me wrong, the key is, if you can afford it, by all means it is a better system with the coil on plug and eliminating the opti crap. Can you tune an LT PCM to do the same as far as drive ability..YES, Mine, still using the LT PCM, but I did go to a Dynaspark a few years ago that solved my opti problems, Drive ability? 722 RWHP with AC and a DD, on the highway or in the city. people get caught up on the internet and think that they "NEED" a certain setup to be able to achieve the street manners and goals for a DD. If you have a good tuner, be it EFI Live, HP or the ole LT1 Edit, they can get the job done..Its all in the tune..
I agree. I think alot of guys are jumping on the 24x system because they are frustrated with the opti or think they need it, but the LT1 pcm has made big power on alot of builds.

I think my deciding factor is going to be if I can find someone local who can tune it. I'm in phoenix and I don't know of any shops that are well known as great with tuning LT1s. I'm not going to let any retard with LT1 edit tune it, and the cost of hauling the car somewhere (CA maybe) to get it tuned would be a big portion of the cost to convert to 24x.

The 24x is definitely the better system if money isnt an option, but I feel that if I can get the job done safely with the LT1 pcm I will try it, if not I will go 24x. The cost is neglegable when compared to the rest of the build but I'd rather not spend it if I dont have to.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Teching In

^^^ Ditto..

Last edited by Pontiac-a-lack'a; 06-25-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: research update..
Old 04-22-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Veteran

What rpm spinning to?
Old 04-28-2012, 12:24 AM
Teching In

YSILT1, nice setup. Wish I could do that.

Last edited by Pontiac-a-lack'a; 06-25-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YSILT1
Hand down I would recommend the 24X system. It has made the car so drivable and so easy to tune. I actually hated this car to drive untill we put this system on. If you are not afraid of doing some wiring. Buy the DIY kit and you can get it all for around 1K.
where can it be purchased

baezi
Old 10-28-2012, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 93formto98T/A
Nice work. Props to you for putting so much time, effort, and $ into an LT1.
Agreed! It looks amazing and those numbers are outstanding

Quick Reply: 891 RWHP with Vortech & LTX