Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

valve cover breathers ok?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does if I remember right, drivers side to a port on the passenger side valve cover then the other port runs to the throttle body to pull the harmful vapors that normally build up in the crankcase out and into the engine. You have to set it up different when you are putting pressure in the intake though otherwise you would pressurize the crankcase under boost. I don't remember where the factory pcv valve is in the system. Its been years since I did away with the factory arrangement of everything. I think I just plugged off the extra port on the passenger valve cover and ran the other to my catch can then from the catch can to the inlet hat on the procharger. It won't really pull vaccume on the system like unless the breathers on the valve covers get restricted but under vaccume it should pull filtered air into the valve cover through the breather then back out from the sealed catch can into the inlet hat of the procharger. The main thing I was trying to avoid is pressurizing the crankcase under boost. I think a lot of people just add breathers to releave any pressure that builds up in the crankcase from combustion pressure getting past the rings. Hopefully not very much can get past the rings but some does and it needs some place to excape. If you have excessive blowby I would start questioning how well the rings are sealing but just a little is normal imo. Now if you break a ringland and start pushing the dipstick out under boost or have a lot of smoke comming out of the oil fill spout when you take the cap off at idle...well its time for a leakdown test. That's how I found the cracked linglands on my number 7 piston on the stock engine.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, I was going to add that I think a better way to do this would be to do away with the breathers on the valve covers tap each valve cover and run them to a catch can with a breather on it then a sealed catch can to some source of vaccume that never sees pressure but this is a lot more work, more expensive and probably overkill on most cars. I expect to see some oil residue build up around the breathers on the valve covers the way I have it. Depending on how much I might have to do away with the breathers and tap the valve covers and run them to vented catch cans. I hope it doesn't come to that but I think that's how a lot of the high hp cars relieve the pressure without getting oil residue all over everything. I'm only aiming for ~850rwhp with my setup so I'm not sure if its going to be an issue or not. Time will tell and I guess its partly up to the owner to decide how much is to much as far as the oil residue around the breathers goes. I expect some but if its going to cause a safety issue where it could get on the headers and catch on fire then it is most definately to much and I would run vented catch cans off the valve covers to do away with that issue.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

I run these

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-25900

but pull from my catch can, seems to work great..
Old 07-04-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pulling from a sealed catch can I assume? So same basic idea but cheaper than running vented catch cans off each valve cover? Long as it gets the job done...
Old 07-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Launching!

I wanted to run those but have O2 sensors in my header bungs for my a/f gauges.
So...I plumbed both valve covers to an air/oil separator and then to the vacuum port on the carb.

Quick Reply: valve cover breathers ok?