Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

good read on block machining

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by helicoil
Curious how many customers are you finding that pay 6000-6500 for that block off this forum. Looks like a post that should be over on YB.

He's quite busy with ALOT of builds...

of course he had alot of options on this particular build such as 1/2" head studs, bushed lifter bores, block filler, o-ringing, etc...
Old 07-19-2011, 12:42 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireball
He's quite busy with ALOT of builds...

of course he had alot of options on this particular build such as 1/2" head studs, bushed lifter bores, block filler, o-ringing, etc...
x2. If you really break down the cost with all the options that were added the $$ is right where it should be. Not every build is going to have 4k tied up in the lifter option.

I paid a shop 2k for machine work on my 1st LSx motor that was not done at virginia speed and that did not include some of the high end options that this build such as the Bushed lifter bores, double - o-ring head gasket, and precision machine work. I think I was ballparked a grand for the lifter bore machine work alone.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great article Shawn, it's obvious you are quite the perfectionist, most machinist are I understand how you locate the main / cam centerlines to bore the block to a blue printed dimension, I'd assume the centerline would be your Y zero, but what are you locating off of to set the X axis zero? Thanks

Oh guys these expensive CNC machines do not pay for themselves. Perhaps some of you guys don't realize but there is a large sum of money tied up in tooling and fixtures. CAT 50 tool holders alone are not cheap!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Great article Shawn, it's obvious you are quite the perfectionist, most machinist are I understand how you locate the main / cam centerlines to bore the block to a blue printed dimension, I'd assume the centerline would be your Y zero, but what are you locating off of to set the X axis zero? Thanks

Oh guys these expensive CNC machines do not pay for themselves. Perhaps some of you guys don't realize but there is a large sum of money tied up in tooling and fixtures. CAT 50 tool holders alone are not cheap!

X axis is found off the back dowel pin hole on the oil pan rail. That is where the factory indexes everything from-so we do the same.

In this business,unless you are a production engine shop the cnc will never pay for itself. It is one of those things you need if you are going to be the best though. All of those blueprinting fixtures from the old school days aren't half as accurate at a cnc.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by helicoil
Nice build going on there for James.

Core shift doesn't look too bad on that one, worse on Bank 1 than Bank 2. What did that block weigh after filling?

All that discussion about block stresses and simulating load during machining, etc. I would have expected to see VA Speed use a 6 bolt torque plate during honing. Are you not using 6 bolt heads on that one?

Looks really good, got to love $200,000 CNC machines, takes alot of the skill out of manual engine machining and the set up processes involved and leaves it up to the CNC programmer.

Curious how many customers are you finding that pay 6000-6500 for that block off this forum. Looks like a post that should be over on YB.

Nice work, look forward to the HP numbers and end result.

core shift was pretty decent on that block-we went through about 5 to get that one. I had been saving it for another project but figured if would be perfect for this engine.

I personally have not seen any difference using a 6 bolt plate,not sure if it's because the outer fasteners don't loat the block nearly as much or what.

Don't cut cnc operators short, when doing some of these machining operations there is alot of skill involved. Feeds and speeds don't stay contant from block to block,also knowing what tool to use and what cutter is very important to the end result. Just because it don't take hours to set something up doesn't mean there isn't skill involved.

No sure where the customers come from-but there is no lack of people willing to pay even as much as $8000.00 for a fully prepped block.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:33 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Very impressive. Good read.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Educational read Shawn....nice to see you guys sweat the details. Confirms some of us chose (or will choose) the right builder
Old 07-20-2011, 12:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Great read Shawn! I must say I've never seen that honing machine that clean!

Quick Reply: good read on block machining