Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

dual 3.5 vs 3.0 tail pipes - spool difference?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default dual 3.5 vs 3.0 tail pipes - spool difference?

I am in the exhaust phase of my project - a 67 Camaro w/LQ4, Precision BB 7675 and a 6 speed. The car is geared towards road racing / street use. I am able to fit a 4" down pipe, which will split into dual 3.5" Magnaflow mufflers. I had 3.5 out the back before the 6.0 swap, but I now have a watts link which will make it very difficult to fit the 3.5s.

I am not as concerned about peak power as I can just up the boost to achieve anything which may be lost going to a smaller exhaust. My concern is spool. Am I leaving anything on the table necking down to dual 3" exhaust? From what I have read you can't go too large on a turbo exhaust. A single 4" won't fit past the watts link or I would have just done that. Any thoughts???
Old 07-21-2011, 07:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run 2 electric cutouts on my ltd, with both closed it's thru 3 mufflers and a single 3" exhaust, with one open its dual 3" thru 6 mufflers, and with both open its single 3.5" all open no mufflers. Spool difference between the single 3" vs dual 3" isn't that noticeable, but going to the open 3.5" with no mufflers is quite a bit noticeable.

You might look into just doing dual 3" and running a single 4" cutout before it Y's off.

Quick Reply: dual 3.5 vs 3.0 tail pipes - spool difference?