Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

MAGGIE VS WHIPPLE on LS3 camaro (want input)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
take a look at the edelbrock E-Force. it has the best cylinder distribution in my opinion
No room to grow though. Whipple..
Old 07-22-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 188 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by realsquash
What's the target HP for the car? I'm going to say TVS2300 just to be different, since I actually own one. There's nothing wrong with a Whipple, you can't really go wrong with either one. There aren't too many people making high HP with the Whipple 2.9, but a lot of places have pushed the Maggie to extreme rotor speeds and nary a problem. IAT2's are similar for the same boost levels between them, believe it or not. You "should" be able to get more from the Whipple but so far I just haven't seen one.

Andy
Yep...I'd go with the Maggie too unless your customer wanted to go forged motor, upgraded drivetrain, roll cage, yada yada. I have no doubts that the 2.9L blower can make more power than the smaller TVS2300. The blower needs to be sized to the job though. A big blower, turning slowly (mild boost) isn't going to be as responsive as a smaller blower turning faster. That's not just my opinion, that's fact. If your customer is good with power in the 600rwhp range, a 2.9L blower is a waste. If he has visions of 700+, the big Whip might be a better choice.

I'd leave the Edelbrock on the sidelines. Those things run hot even when not under boost.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If money isn't an object I'd opt for a Whipple. But, the Maggie is a great piece too. I opted for a Maggie on mine just because of the cost and that they have a great track record for reliability.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would also choose the Whipple if it was my car just to stand out and be different. There are a lot of maggies on the road in LS powered vehicles, but I have seen far fewer Whipple'd LS powered vehicles.

Maybe there is good reason for this....?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Need more convincing?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...-700-rwhp.html
Old 07-23-2011, 04:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by realsquash
What's the target HP for the car? I'm going to say TVS2300 just to be different, since I actually own one. There's nothing wrong with a Whipple, you can't really go wrong with either one. There aren't too many people making high HP with the Whipple 2.9, but a lot of places have pushed the Maggie to extreme rotor speeds and nary a problem. IAT2's are similar for the same boost levels between them, believe it or not. You "should" be able to get more from the Whipple but so far I just haven't seen one.

Andy
there arent to many high hp builds with whipples? there are alot. visit some 5th gen camaro forums or scroll go down to the dyno section and you'll c vengance has what i believe a 700whp build. out of the box the whipple gets u nearly 600whp and 550wtq maggies are around 530whp and 550wtq. both r great blowers, be happy with either one. but the whipple has more room to grow. and will run cooler once u start increasing the boost.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Killer_Z
there arent to many high hp builds with whipples? there are alot. visit some 5th gen camaro forums or scroll go down to the dyno section and you'll c vengance has what i believe a 700whp build. out of the box the whipple gets u nearly 600whp and 550wtq maggies are around 530whp and 550wtq. both r great blowers, be happy with either one. but the whipple has more room to grow. and will run cooler once u start increasing the boost.
The maggie will make more low/mid range power but the Whipple will have more room to grow & lower IATs when spun faster. I love the old M-series maggie whine. If you do go TVS get cogged rears
Old 07-23-2011, 12:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys for the many different suggestions and angles of looking at the two.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

From an earlier post: ..."If money isn't an object"...

I hear and read this fairly frequently. I admit, I don't have very many friends, and of those, only a couple have enough money to buy anything they want, perhaps I just need to hang around more trust babies, because so far those few affluent people I know never seem to say "Money is no object"...

In the roots vs screw debate, cost/hp is likely to be higher on the screw compressor because it simply has lower production volumes, and arguably is more complicated to manufacture.

If your talking about some sort of class racing, then the $ can perhaps be justified by a 1st place vs 2nd place finish, but in a street car?

Several unknowns:

I know what I paid for my wife's TVS2300... I don't know how much people pay for a Whipple or other screw setup.

I know how reliable the TVS has been so far. Can a whipple run 15K miles without anything other than changing the oil in the engine?

One significant advantage to the TVS is the high production volume, typically the larger the number of units produced, the less likely any one unit is to have a premature failure or warranty related issue.

Last edited by twinturbo496; 07-23-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I'm leaning towards the tvs2300 for my ls6
Old 08-18-2011, 01:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
Thanks guys for the many different suggestions and angles of looking at the two.
I would go with the whipple without a thought! Lower IAT's, more power when the guy wants to step it up, quieter, better looking under the hood, etc. the list goes on and on.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Whipple

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 08-18-2011, 11:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by texada
I would go with the whipple without a thought! Lower IAT's, more power when the guy wants to step it up, quieter, better looking under the hood, etc. the list goes on and on.
Thanks for the advice, this is going to be a fun install & tune.

Originally Posted by Superman09
Whipple
Thanks for the input.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:33 AM
wrp
9 Second Club

Room to grow is the big concern everyone is talking about but the question is once you cross a certain point the blower isn't the problem. I've gotten nearly 800/800 out of a Harrop HVT2300 and loved the car. One thing I was totally impressed with was the quality of the Harrop Kit. It was complete and everything fit with no pulley alignment problems or other challenges. Additionally, the HVT2300 did not require a jackshaft which was a plus to me.

Name:  Pulley-3-1.jpg
Views: 1674
Size:  1.45 MB

Since my application was more extreme we added cogs and an 8 rib serpentine system with an Innovator West Dampener. Pin the Dampener, no matter what they say. There is a capacity limit but my motor was built so I have graduated to a 4.0 Liter Whipple which is different from the twin helix Maggie or HVT. I haven't kept up on the smaller Whipples and am not sure what technology they are using, I had the impression their 2.9 blower was simply a copy of the Maggie but I am not knowledgeable in that area.

Name:  Ethyl37-640.jpg
Views: 1694
Size:  89.7 KB

IMHO Maggie has a better support network, though in Whipple's defense mine is a one off application which took longer to explain to them than suggestions they had whenever I did ask for help. Maggie has been on the ground for a while now with the solution they are selling and is more likely to have fewer bugs and issues. As far as noise, with the Whipple, that sound the front wheels make when they come back down to the street is a total rush. JMHO

Quick Reply: MAGGIE VS WHIPPLE on LS3 camaro (want input)