Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

t-bolt clamp vs regular hose clamps, and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t-bolt clamp vs regular hose clamps, and other questions

if u saw other post im in process of piecing together my turbo kit, ive got all my piping ran from rear to front with silcone couplers and tbolt clamps, im at the part were i need the 2.5-3.5 coupler to piping to maf sensor and then 3.5-4in from maf to tb, i got a 3.5-4 coupler from work with regular hose clamps, guy thats helpin me put this together says they'll blow off as soon as i hit boost , im only gunna be running 4psi give or take, maybe 8 in the future, says thats 4 pounds a square inch so its only in a small area, its a way bigger area etc (yes i know all thats true lol) but it will completly destroy those clamps and blow couplers off etc, i can grab the piping and etc with hands and pull as hard as i can and cant get these things to separate at all, i feel it will hold np,

also something else a friend pointed out is that most radiator/coolant systems run at 16psi and use rad hoses and normal clamps np, which i feel is a good point, any one else have any insight on this or any input im open to what ever, thanks!
Old 07-23-2011, 02:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

At such low boost, I wouldnt be worried about it. Just use a good quality hose clamp and it will be fine.

And if there is a decent lip/bead on the solid piping, there is little chance of it ever coming off, even with a crap hose clamp and such low boost.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Ight, that's what I thought but, thanks!
Old 07-23-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

I prefer Tbolt clamps. I used the worm gear style clamp and I broke several of them trying to tighten them down to the point they wouldnt leak. Also that style of clamp will slowly chew up the coupler.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If indoubt, just use what diesel truck owners use. A small shot of hair spray on a clean dry coupler will cause it to stick well with normal hose clamps. Just allow an hour or so for it to dry before boosting on it.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
I prefer Tbolt clamps. I used the worm gear style clamp and I broke several of them trying to tighten them down to the point they wouldnt leak. Also that style of clamp will slowly chew up the coupler.
^^^ this ^^^^
Old 07-24-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
i agree with u and triple black on this too cause ive had them twist and bind up or break on me, and ive seen them chew up stuff on cold air intakes and all (actually it happened at once went to tighten it down saw that it roughed it up too) when i tightened it it bound up and twisted and just fucked up lol

but that being said, i snapped one of my Tbolt clamps today tighting it down and finishin the cold side, just ratcheting it tight like the rest rrtrrtrtt snap... wtf was that.... **** lol

but i think if i use a good screw hose clamp and get it tight with out it ****** up ill be fine, and i agree Tbolts are better but lol was trying to get this done today to get it out of shop and have it back so it dosnt sit a whole week doing nothing, but i did get it back and just capped cold side off and took turbo off and its doing well, no more DD my 6mpg mud truck lmao
Old 07-25-2011, 02:20 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ToxicWS6

but that being said, i snapped one of my Tbolt clamps today tighting it down and finishin the cold side, just ratcheting it tight like the rest rrtrrtrtt snap... wtf was that.... **** lol
You cant go blaming hose clamps for inept users. If you have a strange desire to overtighten things then of course you are going to cause damage.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Inflamitory comments aside, I can tell you from personal experience that even at lower boost levels T-bolts clamps do not "slip" off where regular hose clamps do - after I upgraded, my 'problem' coupler was no longer a problem.

Good luck!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:42 AM
9 Second Club

Regular hose clamps ( decent quality ) can work fine on low-medium boost, and in some cases high boost provided the system is put together properly.

Ive friends running well in excess of 30psi on some engines ( 2.5" pipework on 4cyl engines ) using normal hose clamps and they havent had problems.

All pipework must be spotlessly clean. All solid pipes must have a decent bead/barb/whatever, and as mentioned already, hairspray applied before fitting a hose ( to an otherwise spotlessly clean pipe ) can help stick them together.

If you are overtightening you are trying to compensate for a bad build. And by overtightening you will cause damage and in some cases can increase chances of blowing things off.

It can also be worth tying the solid pipes together via a solid linkage to prevent the pipes trying to blow apart too, which wil take strain off the hose clamps and coupler. Although Ive never used it myself.

But at only 8psi or so, you should have no problems using any style of hose clamp unless there are major flaws in the system somewhere.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

im not cranking down on them at all, im using a little 1/4 in drive ratchet and was just getting it snug, did 2-3 turns more like i did the rest and this one just happen to pop, was just sayin that as a this is my exp with using everything were disscussing.a

anyway yeah i feel now the systems pretty tight and ready to go, im waiting on my piping to maf sensor coupler and to run my oil lines and will see how it goes, and being as found out one of are local speed shops carries T bolt clamps im probably going to replace the couple of screw ones i used once i got everthing ready, might go back and do hair spray trick too if i have any problems, never heard of it before but sounds cool lol, thanks guys
Old 07-25-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Cheap T-bolts break, just part of the game. Get a new one and go on with your day
Old 07-25-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pocket
Cheap T-bolts break, just part of the game. Get a new one and go on with your day
pretty much what i did lol, new ones going on when rest of couplers get put on
Old 07-25-2011, 01:25 PM
9 Second Club

Dont buy cheap lol
Old 07-26-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

You say that but how much is it worth in the end?

Ive had 3 failures from about 50 cheap $2 T-bolts. At that rate, Id wager it into the overall cost and just buy a few spares when ordering

$8-10 on good clamps adds up quickly and Im sure those arent 100% failure proof either

Quick Reply: t-bolt clamp vs regular hose clamps, and other questions