Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How many turbo'ed Ls1's running oil coolers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://modularturbo.com/storefront/p...products_id/39
Old 08-05-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
I dont think that will help much at all. Yes, you will cool down the oil a LITTLE bit (going through a -4 line isnt enough volume to cool sufficiently) but you will heat it up again as it goes through the turbo.
I thought about that too, every other way I could think of is far more complicated (im running a gravity drain, no scavenge pump) and this way is better than none at all
Old 08-08-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SippiSpeedhawk
Does anybody with a turbo run an oil cooler and recommend it?
I have one on my Grandnational! It is a must on turbo cars! The turbo get over 1500* at times, oil is only good to 300* if your lucky, and unless you run a turbo with water going thru it, I run a oil cooler. I have a LQ4 in a 1981TTA with a turbo, and Im going to install the stock oil cooler. I install them all the time on guys cars that come here with low oil psi
Old 08-08-2011, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Back along time ago when I was buying my first upgraded turbo for my GN I asked Harry H. @ PTE about running an oil cooler.
This was like 13 years ago and Harry EITHER told me:

1. The main or one of the main reasons for turbo failure is the oil being to cold
OR
2. He sees more turbo failures from oil being to cold than to hot

I cant remember which of the two he said, and I was really surprised when he said it. Keep in mind this is something I was told only one time and it was a long time ago. I would call PTE or Turbonetics and see what they say.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

It can be too cold, but thats typically because the car got ragged on when dead cold, ie first thing in the morning. fire it up and let it run for a minute, even while driving cars on a chassis dyno, and motors on an engine dyno, the motor is always run for a period of time in order to bring the temperatures up to an acceptable level.

Saturday morning I was watching the powerblock on spike, they were running a motor on the chassis dyno that was expected to produce 604 or 605 hp. It didnt, they checked oil temp, 107*F, too cold. ran the motor for a bit to bring the temp up into the 170's, 604hp.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MillsMotorvation
I have one on my Grandnational! It is a must on turbo cars! The turbo get over 1500* at times, oil is only good to 300* if your lucky, and unless you run a turbo with water going thru it, I run a oil cooler. I have a LQ4 in a 1981TTA with a turbo, and Im going to install the stock oil cooler. I install them all the time on guys cars that come here with low oil psi
So do you put your cooler in the same loop as the turbo or do you have a seperate loop for the cooler on a thermostat?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

why not run a heavier oil if your worried about heat? heavier oils takes longer to heat and cool faster
Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 AM
10 Second Club

Also thought about using this block............. http://www.improvedracing.com/produc...products_id=33 I dont know if we really need a thermostat for cold weather or not though.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by IT_SS
why not run a heavier oil if your worried about heat? heavier oils takes longer to heat and cool faster
those of us in hotter climates that are running oil heaters (turbos) in the summer time must consider that the air coming off the pavement is a solid 150*F and with all the cars going down the freeway that air has been heated already. we've got to help shed that heat

heat index here in houston has been over 105 for like a week, texas in general has been triple digits for a solid month
Old 12-11-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SippiSpeedhawk
So do you put your cooler in the same loop as the turbo or do you have a seperate loop for the cooler on a thermostat?
Oil cooler runs off the port near the oil filter, turbo gets oil else where.

Quick Reply: How many turbo'ed Ls1's running oil coolers?