Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intercooler Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Intercooler Questions

As a newby to turbocharging I am interested in how much the air is heated up by a turbo and how much drop in temps different intercoolers make.
I know that the lower you can make the charge temps engine will make more power at the same boost level.
I want to run a street turbo system on an 6.0 LQ4 or even an Ly6 LS engine at no more than 6-8 pounds boost. Maybe as high as 10PSi boost.
I want to run E85 with I understand helps lower inlet temps
I noticed Hotrod Magazine used a water to air system on their dyno test of the 1200HP 4.8.
How about some real world results from several people on here and how much your intercooler lowers your inlet temps.
Thanks
Jarhead
Old 08-02-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running E85 does not lower intake temps. You might be thinking of methanol. But the higher octane rating will keep it from detonating with higher IATs compared to pump gas. But getting above 6 psi on a street car, I personally would not run a system without an intercooler even on E85. I believe most people see 40-50 degree IAT drops with decent air to air intercoolers over direct turbo to intake setups. Add a methanol setup and you can easily get your IATs below ambient (colder than the outside air). You can get good air to air intercoolers on ebay for dirt cheap and make your own intercooler piping.
At 10 psi, I would not drop the dime on a water/air intercooler. Air/air will do the trick just fine. Think of the intercooler as the cake and methanol as the frosting.
When it comes to the air you're putting into your motor, the colder the better. You might lose a tiny amount of boost with an intercooler but that's what the clockwise adjustment on boost controllers are for
Old 08-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam86
Running E85 does not lower intake temps. You might be thinking of methanol. But the higher octane rating will keep it from detonating with higher IATs compared to pump gas. But getting above 6 psi on a street car, I personally would not run a system without an intercooler even on E85. I believe most people see 40-50 degree IAT drops with decent air to air intercoolers over direct turbo to intake setups. Add a methanol setup and you can easily get your IATs below ambient (colder than the outside air). You can get good air to air intercoolers on ebay for dirt cheap and make your own intercooler piping.
At 10 psi, I would not drop the dime on a water/air intercooler. Air/air will do the trick just fine. Think of the intercooler as the cake and methanol as the frosting.
When it comes to the air you're putting into your motor, the colder the better. You might lose a tiny amount of boost with an intercooler but that's what the clockwise adjustment on boost controllers are for
The hell it doesnt! E85 drops IAT's considerably, you just arent measuring it because you put your IAT sensor before the E85 hits the airstream.

Go check out a boosted, non IC'd E85 car with a carb sometime, the intake will be cold after the run. Alcohol pulls alot of heat out of the air charge.

On a boosted E85 car at 6-10psi, i wouldnt even intercool it unless you were running 10:1 or greater compression.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the input, especially from Charlie, sorry about you losing your show.
Seriously, when you say a 40 to 50 degree reduction in temp what is the approx temp at say 10PSI boost, ie 150 degrees minus 40 eqauls 110 inlet temp?
I have a friend who runs a street shootout ChevyII in Texas. It has a 632 BBC with twin turbos, has a powerglide, runs race gas and has a large air to water intercooler inside the car, looks like a big water tank, full of ice water.
Anyway I think he told me his inlet temps before the intercooler are over 200F but I don't recall how much his intercooler lowers his temps. That ChevyII was his daily driver in high school 20 years ago and now it runs 6s at over 200although he mostly runs 1/8 mile events now.
I once saw a guy in Albuquerque years ago with a turbo Buick, he sprayed freon on his air to air intercooler during the run and he told me it helped him a bunch.
Jarhead
Old 08-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Restricted User

There are alot of ways to skin the cat. A2A is best for a street driven application as it does not require any additional maintenance such as ice, meth (for an inj system) or nitrous (for injection or spray bar).

E85 does cool the charge but is far more effective at doing it the further it is injected from the intake valve and the lower the pressure that it is introduced at. That's why it works so well in blow thru applications.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Questions