Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Does meth go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 09:05 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Crashly, I didn't call you a dumbass, or put you down at all. I don't know why you're getting so deffensive. I'm guessing you are good at what you do, whatever that is. Chemistry isn't my hobby, or pasttime, or something I dabble with on the weekends, it's my job, my career, my livelihood. I'm not an engine builder, I'm a chemist. The question was asked if the methanol goes bad, and I said no.

Then someone posted that his methanol got cloudy, so it had to have water in it, which is as far from the truth as you can get. You cannot do a visual test to determine water content, period. Cloudy methanol is usually from being mixed with something else that's not readily miscible, and methanol mixes quite well with water. If a water/methanol mixture looks different than the two starting solutions, then you've got contamination in one of them.

Let me ask this, do you measure TOC in the water you use? All DI water is not equal. There's DI water, then there's pure, low TOC water, big difference. We fail our water if it comes back with anything above 8ppb of TOC.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:14 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm going to end my comments in this thread with this....

1. He's using the water/meth as a secondary source of fueling, and primarily as a charge cooler to cool the air going into the motor while supplying some extra octane, that's a big difference to using it as your primary fuel source.
2. I'd be much more concerned about the gas sitting in his gas tank over the course of the winter/summer months as gasoline breaks down after about 30 days and starts dropping octane points quite quickly after that time frame. When I worked at Sunoco, we did quality control tests and saw quite a significant drop off in octane from 30-45 days.

The opinions expressed are not directed at anyone, nor are they intended to offend, or discount what other's oppinions are. They are solely those of the author, based on his experience, education, and studies.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you cook it right it wont go bad!
Old 08-21-2011, 01:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been a fun read, and I don't even use meth... either kind lol.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Banned

Wink

Damn this was a good thread
Old 08-21-2011, 05:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very good read on this subject.

Anyone ever ran a dedicated water kit and meth kit? Just wondering.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:51 PM
10 Second Club

The 100 percent meth in my 3 gal. tank in trunk only looses thru thu vent.
Other than that i just use about 3 gal. a week.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know what a hydrometer is I have a 175 gallon saltwater reef tank. I know all about using SG hydrometers (I'm guessing you mean the one with a swing needle in it) yea those are way innacurate. Although if the whole barrel has water in it it doesn't take a chemist(sorry alchemist no pun or harm intended) to know that the SG will be way low due to fresh water contamination.

A refractometer will tell you the SG down to .000 at least on the one I use for my reef tank.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Crashly, I didn't call you a dumbass, or put you down at all. I don't know why you're getting so deffensive. I'm guessing you are good at what you do, whatever that is. Chemistry isn't my hobby, or pasttime, or something I dabble with on the weekends, it's my job, my career, my livelihood. I'm not an engine builder, I'm a chemist. The question was asked if the methanol goes bad, and I said no.

Then someone posted that his methanol got cloudy, so it had to have water in it, which is as far from the truth as you can get. You cannot do a visual test to determine water content, period. Cloudy methanol is usually from being mixed with something else that's not readily miscible, and methanol mixes quite well with water. If a water/methanol mixture looks different than the two starting solutions, then you've got contamination in one of them.

Let me ask this, do you measure TOC in the water you use? All DI water is not equal. There's DI water, then there's pure, low TOC water, big difference. We fail our water if it comes back with anything above 8ppb of TOC.
I ALWAYS change my resin cartridges in my DI resin if the TDS reads over 2. I don't know what that works out to in TOC, but it has to be close and goes back to you saying you can only use a SG hydrometer or refract if both solutions that are mixed are pure. Therefore pure RO/DI water and salt mix in the bucket I check before pumping it into my 10k reef tank and killing all my inverts and fish because of high nitrate or nitrite or ammonia levels due to a resin failure. Same principles...deals with contamination. If it's cloudy it's contaminated. We have this discussion on a reef site I am on when guys say I have been aerating and recirclutating this salt/ro/di mixture for 3 days now with a heater but it's still cloudy, what do I do? We tell the guy to throw it out if it's cloudy because either a)his water was contaminated from the source or the salt's properties are way off and the whole bag is bad.

I can see both sides to this arguement and it kinda started I think when I said the comment about it being water/meth injection as a joke.

If it's 10 bucks worth of gas throw it out. If it's a 50 gallon barrel I can see how you'd want a professional opinion on whether it's bad or not.

If it just has pure water mixed in with pure meth it will be fine, but if it's cloudy its contaminated from something other than water. I think this is the point Alchemist is trying to make.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I'm going to end my comments in this thread with this....

1. He's using the water/meth as a secondary source of fueling, and primarily as a charge cooler to cool the air going into the motor while supplying some extra octane, that's a big difference to using it as your primary fuel source.
2. I'd be much more concerned about the gas sitting in his gas tank over the course of the winter/summer months as gasoline breaks down after about 30 days and starts dropping octane points quite quickly after that time frame. When I worked at Sunoco, we did quality control tests and saw quite a significant drop off in octane from 30-45 days.

^^^^^
agreee

here....i buy you a beer...

Quick Reply: Does meth go bad?