Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Injectors in intake pipe...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

arg its to late to type all the info. But E85 and meth make geat air cooler. gas doesnt and you dont what to spray gas as a cooler in the intake piping not a good idea.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1408cp
I have an idea on how to do this(besides adding injectors) but how much e85 should one spray in a intake to cool. I have something that might work but is their anyway to add injectors to the stock computer?
The Mustang or the NovaWagon aren't just using e85 to just cool the intake charge, the cars switch to the e85 completely, with 10 e85 injectors. Eight in the intake, upstream from the the gas injectors, and two in the intake track(like Mike Moran use to use)

To do supplemental injectors with the factory computer, look at this from 034 motorsports.

http://www.034motorsport.com/034efi-...ller-p-71.html

I haven't use this myself, but considered using it with a factory computer.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So your basically doing what Nelson Racing Engines does with their race gas/pump gas dual fuel cells and 16 injectors, but just substituting the race gas for e85 correct? How many injectors total are on the motor?
Old 09-20-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little off topic, But were are you buying E85 at here locally? I have been wanting to go 100% with E85 but I have not seen it anywere around here.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:46 PM
11 Second Club

Wut about if u run a nitrous plate kit and instead of spraying nitrous just spray fuel out of both jets using a window switch and adjust them till you find the right mixture, or you can just spray a small wet shot and get more horsepower and cooling effects from the nitrous
Old 09-20-2011, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
A little off topic, But were are you buying E85 at here locally? I have been wanting to go 100% with E85 but I have not seen it anywere around here.
The closest place to the Midland/Odessa area to buy it is in Lubbock now unless you get some shipped in.

The new Stripes there carries it..

Stripes #2259
8112 Interstate 27
Lubbock, TX 79404
(806) 687-3969

There has been some talk of VP making a blend of E85.. which i'm sure will cost more, but be more available around here than driving a 240 mile round trip to get it.

Around here if a group of cars are running it some guys will just get a pot of cash together and make the drive and fill up some drums for everyone.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:16 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crashly, or anyone else... Could you post the yellowbullet link?

Originally Posted by atomic 6
The Mustang or the NovaWagon aren't just using e85 to just cool the intake charge, the cars switch to the e85 completely, with 10 e85 injectors. Eight in the intake, upstream from the the gas injectors, and two in the intake track(like Mike Moran use to use)

To do supplemental injectors with the factory computer, look at this from 034 motorsports.

http://www.034motorsport.com/034efi-...ller-p-71.html

I haven't use this myself, but considered using it with a factory computer.
I've seen another one out there, but it can only control 2-4 injectors depending on the version you get. This one you have posted is really nice with the abilility to control 1-10 extra injectors all in one box.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Launching!

I think you are thinking of the old sds injector controller. I used one of those years ago on a turbo build it worked good. I'm sure there is much better controllers now the one listed looks like a good choice.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:39 AM
10 Second Club

man this might be the answer to my bastard 98 pcm and it's shortcomings in the fueling department.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:00 AM
TECH Veteran

That looks like an interesting gizmo right their. Im going to read into it.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looking at the Means Street rules I see a potential problem with doing this. I copied this right from the rules posted. I might be reading this wrong too.

Forced Induction:
Max 80 MM turbo (air to air intercooler) Measurement will be a 1/16th of an inch from the compressor wheel.
Twin turbos allowed, max twin 61 MM turbos (air to air intercooler) Measurement will be a 1/16th of an inch from the compressor wheel.
Max compressor wheel size is 88mm for singles (reduced to 80mm) and 67mm for twins (reduced to 61mm)
NO "thumper" turbos allowed
NO "cut down" compressor wheels allowed
Maximum F1R or D1R super charger or equivalent (air to air intercooler)
NO Roots type superchargers
Methanol injection or any other type of "liquid intercooling" is prohibited

All Cars must run Gasoline (no alcohol or methanol) E85 Allowed.
Progressive nitrous controllers and data recorders allowed.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Looking at the Means Street rules I see a potential problem with doing this. I copied this right from the rules posted. I might be reading this wrong too.

Forced Induction:
Max 80 MM turbo (air to air intercooler) Measurement will be a 1/16th of an inch from the compressor wheel.
Twin turbos allowed, max twin 61 MM turbos (air to air intercooler) Measurement will be a 1/16th of an inch from the compressor wheel.
Max compressor wheel size is 88mm for singles (reduced to 80mm) and 67mm for twins (reduced to 61mm)
NO "thumper" turbos allowed
NO "cut down" compressor wheels allowed
Maximum F1R or D1R super charger or equivalent (air to air intercooler)
NO Roots type superchargers
Methanol injection or any other type of "liquid intercooling" is prohibited

All Cars must run Gasoline (no alcohol or methanol) E85 Allowed.
Progressive nitrous controllers and data recorders allowed.
I see what your saying, BUT, couldnt that be challenged? Stating that its your primary means of fueling?

I mean its not my fault that it just so happens to cool the intake charge as well? Right?

Thats a legit question, not trying to sound like a smart ***
Old 09-21-2011, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I do not know. I think you could make that case. But I am not sure it will fly. I would think that you would have to be able to prove it was part of the main fueling, that it was infact fueling all the time even at idle. I would think if it was "on the intake runner" after the throttle body flange it would not be an issue. If you ran 8 small injectors and 8 large injectors, two on each runner with one set as close to the plenum as possible, I do not see how that would violate the rule. But if they only worked under boost someone could protest and make the point it was done for 'Liquid Cooling" purposes. If you installed them before the TB in the charge pipping I could see how this would violate the rules.

Looking at the present rules I would advise to run 16 injectors total, installing half of them either in the plenum area or as close to the plenum on the intake runner as possible. I would think they would have to be after the TB. I would think the more time the fuel is in the air stream the more cooling you will get from it.

I have an aftermarket PCM and have been looking for a good excuse to use it. I think I might have found it. E85 does mean you have to burn alot more of it then gasoline.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

I do not know. I think you could make that case. But I am not sure it will fly. I would think that you would have to be able to prove it was part of the main fueling, that it was infact fueling all the time even at idle. I would think if it was "on the intake runner" after the throttle body flange it would not be an issue. If you ran 8 small injectors and 8 large injectors, two on each runner with one set as close to the plenum as possible, I do not see how that would violate the rule. But if they only worked under boost someone could protest and make the point it was done for 'Liquid Cooling" purposes. If you installed them before the TB in the charge pipping I could see how this would violate the rules.

Looking at the present rules I would advise to run 16 injectors total, installing half of them either in the plenum area or as close to the plenum on the intake runner as possible. I would think they would have to be after the TB. I would think the more time the fuel is in the air stream the more cooling you will get from it.

I have an aftermarket PCM and have been looking for a good excuse to use it. I think I might have found it. E85 does mean you have to burn alot more of it then gasoline.
You are correct, we are kicking around some ideas but the way the rules are written you would need to use any extra injection to fuel the motor, can't use any type of injection before the TB, the only thing that can be in front of the TB is the A2A if you run one. That is what got me thinking of my idea in the post I made back at the start of the thread.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

I'd do exactly what you were thinking. Mount those extra 8 or however many injectors up as high in the pro-flo's intake runners as possible shooting downstream.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
man this might be the answer to my bastard 98 pcm and it's shortcomings in the fueling department.
Why not do Megasquirt? Cheap as hell, WAAYYY more features than a stock PCM....

Just keep you 98 PCM for gauges/timing, and do Megasquirt for fueling.

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
I'd do exactly what you were thinking. Mount those extra 8 or however many injectors up as high in the pro-flo's intake runners as possible shooting downstream.

This is your best be for more than 1 reason.....

http://www.hotrod.com/pitstop/hrdp_0...ctor_location/
Old 09-21-2011, 03:19 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ "
The reason for the change was improved fuel atomization at 10,000 rpm

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/pitstop/hrdp_0704_pitstop_fuel_injector_location/photo_02.html#ixzz1YcW7YiML"

Obviously, it does have a difference, but I'm not sure how many people will be spinning that kind of RPM.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chris81
You are correct, we are kicking around some ideas but the way the rules are written you would need to use any extra injection to fuel the motor, can't use any type of injection before the TB, the only thing that can be in front of the TB is the A2A if you run one. That is what got me thinking of my idea in the post I made back at the start of the thread.
Can You put an extension where Your throttle body is mounted and move the throttle body a couple inches (6"?) forward (or down) from the manifold? Your injector would be post throttle body, but this would help alleviate concerns with fuel distribution.

Regards,

Kurt
Old 09-21-2011, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bettonracing
Can You put an extension where Your throttle body is mounted and move the throttle body a couple inches (6"?) forward (or down) from the manifold? Your injector would be post throttle body, but this would help alleviate concerns with fuel distribution.

Regards,

Kurt
Something like that could be done I guess, but i'd imagine that would cause a shitstorm LOL.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:12 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Put the TB on the end of the intercooler. Injectors post TB in the intercooler piping to intake manifold.

Quick Reply: Injectors in intake pipe...