Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Attention all stock shortblock players!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless GM makes the stock replacement parts and upon scoping the engine the PN (ala flat top 6.0 and 4.8) and stock casting marks are seen. Then I would say its impossible to tell the difference. Depending on how serious the competition stacks up or interest builds and it looks like there will be some larger shops building a car to compete... then I may use my PV gauge as well. That will tell the CU displacement of the engine without pulling the heads right there in the pits.

There are no rules on fuel as well. It has been asked a couple times in phone calls. E85, c16, q16, methanol ect. All legal.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This will be cool, sucks with your rules my car being a holder of the record twice now(and current) can't play, even with it being on a DOT tire. If you want to stick with the 10.5 slick rule and any size radial, at least allow any size dot tire.

Last edited by skinnies; 09-26-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:57 PM
10 Second Club

Also I think the motors should be as they came from the factory, no replacement pistons, no new bearings or rings, etc.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

skinnies... why isnt your car a player? Fits rules. I am definatly wanting all the past and current players to show. ANY dragradial allowed. Just a limit on the slick to 10.5's (even w's) a 31x10.5w is a large tire. But I am aware of some guys here local that would throw a motor in 4.70 index and promod chassis on 36-15.50's There are some crazy people in the south that would do crazy things for 2k. LOL we have fit 31x10.5w's on a 14 inch rim.

VERY similar to an outlaw radial race, any dragradial 315-60 15's or any 10.5w slick. Both tires have proved similar in doorcar applications. Only rule im throwing away is the weight.

Currently working with a sponsor for $$$ for the fastest nitrous only car as well.

All times constitute "fastest" during any pass during competition. be it during the 3 rounds of qualifying or during headup eliminations.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:11 PM
10 Second Club

It's on a 33x22.50x15 hoosier QTP(dot tire, same one larson runs) and with the way we built the rear we can't put a smaller 10.5 on it or a radial on it.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

DOT tire? sounds fair to me Knowing a 10.5w has been 6 teens in the quarter and larson 6.90's I dont see why ANY dot tire should be handycapped from running. Sometimes its forgotten that they make insanely large dot tires still.

ANY Drag Radial. ANY DOT (must have dot rating stamped or cast in the tire) or any 10.5 slick.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds good,this should be a great event! I think 8.30's if the track is good is doable with everyone coming out for it.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

This race is to see who can push this engine the farthest, everyday its pushed further. There will be recognition for fastest pass hopefully record, fastest Nitrous only pass, and in the end winners thru eliminations (the fastest car does NOT always win a race) This race is designed to show what can be done on a budget, not only using the most popular engine platform used today, but also using "out of the box" thinking and tuning ability to maximize power.

I want dragracing to keep growing, not slowly fade due to the "dizzying effect" of trying to sit down and build a high dollar forged setup. Turbos are becoming more economical, nitrous, more and more people are figuring out EFI for themselves. Bring your junkyard motors and lets show everyone what there capable of.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I pay the 40$ can I run my car?

I have nothing of any competition... But if I'm coming down and bringing my car might as well run it in the 1/4... I usually run 1/8 in Huntsville AL.

Can we maybe get some kind of street shoot out or something similar going, like LsFest? Just something for some of us to join? Doesn't even have to be a pay out.. I'd be happy if I was the winner and got a T shirt or something of the sort!

The main event will still be the stock bottom end cars... But while they aren't doing their thing, we could do a street shoot out type deal.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

Definitely hit up some magazines also, this would make a great article, how many 8 second cars can we get with stock ls motors in one spot. Too many people build big inch high dollar motors(not just talking ls stuff) in hopes to try to run an 8 and never do, while we'll have people out here doing it with some CHEAP motors!

As far as rod bolts, we run stock ones still, I do think its part of the stock shortblock, but I'm not opposed to guys running aftermarket rod bolts(as I don't think that is the weak link everyone is worried about).
Old 09-26-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skinnies
Sounds good,this should be a great event! I think 8.30's if the track is good is doable with everyone coming out for it.
lol. if we have some serious contenders, I dont think 8.30s will win it.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

If a guy doesn't have the money to build a good motor to boost or spray how is he going to have the money to trailer a car xxxx miles to an event like this? If it cost you even $600 you just threw away a set of rods. Do that twice buy pistons and you don't need an engine diaper. I like the idea but it can't draw a crowd from very far away. So it would have to be more centrally located as previously suggested.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

RULES (can be revised if enough interest)

-Any GM LS based stock shortblock allowed... 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2 ect

-Aftermarket head bolts/studs allowed

-Aftermarket rod bolts allowed (for driver safety)

-Must be stock casting # heads. CNC, porting allowed. NO aftermarket castings (if you dont agree unbolt your $$$$ heads and bolt on a set of stockers from craiglist for a $100 and swap the valvesprings, no cryin)

-No overbore, or even stock replacement rods/pistons (an overbore and pistons and machine work would cost you more than another junkyard shortblock) I can confirm with a PV gauge on displacement

-ANY power adder or combination there of. Nitrous, Turbos, Superchargers, Fluxcapacitors with nitrous ect.

-No weight limit

-ANY suspension can be used, 4 link, 3 link, torque arm, ladder bar, IRS

-Must be a door car, No full fiberglass bodies, No rails, No full tube chassis, Must have a stock rocker panel in place.

-ANY transmission... auto, manual ect

-ANY fuel can be used, alchohol, gas ect.

-ANY aftermarket EFI, boost controllers, electronics ect.

-ANY drag radial in production (315-60-15), any DOT tire (must have DOT stamp in sidewall) or any 10.5 designation tire (W's allowed)

-MUST run an engine diaper strapped under the oilpan (driver safety issue)

"In the Spirit of the rules" ALL cars will be inspected. ANY car that shows that is a grey area in the rules... ultralight index chassis (promod style) with a spec tire bolted under... is under descresion of the competitors. Before qualifying at the drivers meeting it will be asked if any doesnt agree with the cars competing. A vote will be cast between the competetors during the meeting if anyone feels any car doesnt fit the "spirit of the rules" they will not be allowed to run in elims. (can qualify and go for record) This is a democracy!

-Have fun guys.

$2000 for winner in elims
$500 for runner up
$500 Fastest factory equipped LS car

(working on fastest nitrous only car payout)

A crown for the world record pass.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by skinnies
It's on a 33x22.50x15 hoosier QTP(dot tire, same one larson runs) and with the way we built the rear we can't put a smaller 10.5 on it or a radial on it.
This who I was thinking of mainly on the 10.5 rule. Thanks turbo!!

I also agree rod bolts are a waste of time if you above 6700 rpm's it is borrowed time bolts or not
Old 09-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Launching!

theres always gonna be haters no matter what the rules are... i think this is an awesome idea, and cant wait to see the results!
Old 09-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Stock Rod bolts or not. You wont be disqualified if I scope your bottom end and its got arp's

Working on the website for the race tonight guys. Will give updates and would love to do a builds page for competitors wanting to compete, racer profiles ect. Sponsors list, times, dates, hotel and travel info ect.

Moderators, contact me on becoming a site sponsor please.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbodiesel
No full tube chassis, Must have a stock rocker panel in place.
my buddy has a full tube chassis car that is a 100% street car. it weighs about 2900 but he could take out the stereo system and get it down some more.

it has a junkyard ls.

this rule disqualifies him
Old 09-26-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

people want to see what a stock shortblock will do, not one with rod bolts. its no longer a stock shortblock.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Teching In

this will be bad *** i will try to make it in my honda s2000 on a stock 07 5.3 turbo
Old 09-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I can just see it now, "We have yet another 45 minute delay due to an oil down" Better schedule a whole day even if you only have 10 cars

Quick Reply: Attention all stock shortblock players!