Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rear mount turbo- Should I run a pre-turbo flex pipe? Do you run a flex pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear mount turbo- Should I run a pre-turbo flex pipe? Do you run a flex pipe?

As title really. Im 95% done with my GT45 and quickspool valve rear mount setup and the only thing left is the main single pre-turbo pipe under the car.

The turbo is rigidly mounted, the engine is on fairly solid mounts, but do I need to run a flex pipe?

Due to wanting to wrap it, and the pressures inside the pipe, im a bit reluctant to, but the if I dont I'm worried it will crack really easily.

So what have you guys done on yours? And what would you reccomend?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2011, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GS Racing
As title really. Im 95% done with my GT45 and quickspool valve rear mount setup and the only thing left is the main single pre-turbo pipe under the car.

The turbo is rigidly mounted, the engine is on fairly solid mounts, but do I need to run a flex pipe?

Due to wanting to wrap it, and the pressures inside the pipe, im a bit reluctant to, but the if I dont I'm worried it will crack really easily.

So what have you guys done on yours? And what would you reccomend?

Thanks
I am running a cheapy GT35 Ebay twinscroll turbo and quickspool wastegate on mine. Please use a SS flexpiece with an interlock if you value not losing exhaust gasses and non- cracking pipes. Autozone sells a mild steel version which is only about $20. I have two flexpipes in my system.

You can paint them with VHT and even wrap them with no problems whatsoever. Trut me when I say from experience that these will save you some headaches.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

you may as well...
Old 06-30-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 3800SII
I am running a cheapy GT35 Ebay twinscroll turbo and quickspool wastegate on mine. Please use a SS flexpiece with an interlock if you value not losing exhaust gasses and non- cracking pipes. Autozone sells a mild steel version which is only about $20. I have two flexpipes in my system.

You can paint them with VHT and even wrap them with no problems whatsoever. Trut me when I say from experience that these will save you some headaches.
You should post up some pics of the "wastegate quick spool" deal. Ive only seen a few setups using a wastegate, always liked the idea myself.

Oh, to the OP, if the turbo is solid mounted, i would def put a flex joint in their!

We wanna see pics of this setup too
Old 07-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 3800SII

THATS the exact sort of advice I want! Thanks loads.

I think two might be a good idea for me too, one at the start and one at the end of the 'main' single bit under the car.

I've sectioned it off with v-band clamps so if shiz does go wildly wrong its easy to remove and fix- Rear section from diff to turbo, middle section (yet to do, and where I'll add the flex pipes), and front section to engine.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Where do you guys buy your flex pipes from? I've heard that lower quality ones have been known to degrade and cause restrictions. Thought about putting one in my merge pipe but I want to make sure there's no chance a piece will come off the flex pipe and end going going through the turbine.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Where do you guys fit your flex pipes?

I'm worried about fitting ones too close the headers (although thats probably the best place) due to heat issues, as they dont seem to be rated as high as the pipe temp. Or could I fit a single long 12in one further back?

Would love to know what you guys have done so I dont have to guess too much!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:28 PM
Launching!

I have over 4 years and 22k miles on my sts kit and it doesnt have a flex pipe.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Treadstone makes a very nice stainless braid/stainless inner/stainless tube flex coupler that is designed for PRE-TURBO use. most others are a stainless braid with aluminized tube ends and no inner. you need the inner liner to hold up to the pre-turbo backpressure.

and yes, I would install one in your situation
Old 09-26-2011, 05:07 AM
On The Tree

I hope you are making the quick spool valve yourself? for the price that they are selling for i could make 5 of them myself!

$500 for a flange and a simple actuator!?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Teching In

I have a 12in or so stainless one, with an inner coiled section (ie not just the same weave you see on the outside, rings of flex metal inside), this just after the headers will be fine then I guess? Rather than further back?

Quick Reply: Rear mount turbo- Should I run a pre-turbo flex pipe? Do you run a flex pipe?