Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

You guys are gonna shoot me: 95 Z28 V6 turbo swap

Old 10-18-2011, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not happy bout seeing for **** in Chevys but I totally can appreciate the work going into the project. It's cool for sure. I'm interested on power levels.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SHO engines are well built and rev like nobodies business. Congrats on some unique ****
Old 10-18-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In for the curiosity factor.

Points for something different, but I expect and enjoy different more so from the other car crowds. This project wouldn't sting as much if the car was a V6 car to begin with.

Hope it works out!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KrisXpc
In for the curiosity factor.

Points for something different, but I expect and enjoy different more so from the other car crowds. This project wouldn't sting as much if the car was a V6 car to begin with.

Hope it works out!
I don't feel any sting, it's an lt1 car.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AronZ28
I'm assuming this has some custom ..... I'm assuming some sort of turbo or supercharging, right???

.... you could get one of these things to spin up to 9000rpm!!!
No custom cams, currently only reground cams are available for this engine and they dont really seam to extend the rpm range much. I have a feeling the stock intake, as sexy as it is, starts to fight itself up top due to the vast difference between primary and secondary runner length.

Originally Posted by Novaman
Cool. Is that an ls1 door on an old toyota?
1984 Supra that was getting the LSx treatment. Owner currently doesnt have the time for it

Originally Posted by 123quattro
I almost put a 3L my MGB until I realized it was just way too big to fit. Now it's just sitting in the garage until I find some other use for it.

the Yamahammer fits in an MGB:
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/LeRoyBarton.htm

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
could win a lot of money having people bet whats under that hood cuz they would never get it right.
I was thinking some vinyl "RS / SS V6" badges on the fenders would be fun. Go talk our way into some money races while sounding like we

Originally Posted by Strokinit383
Interesting project. Doesnt look like you will be able to close the hood.
We split the TB section of the intake off the DS plenum so we could rotate the TB down away from the hood some. Theres now 3/4 of an inch clearance between the IAC boss and one of the hood stiffeners. Ill probably have to cut out said stiffener when we put the 1/2" spacers under the intake
Old 11-07-2011, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

any updates?
Old 11-07-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

so this must be how the mazda and ford crowd feels towards us LSX guys...

JK, neat project
Old 11-08-2011, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodKid
the Yamahammer fits in an MGB:
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/LeRoyBarton.htm
I've seen that car. I just don't want to cut mine up. Cool stuff though.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Yea, there's a few updates posted on HR.com (link at the top of the tread)

and i dont blame you for not wanting to cut up your MGB
Old 12-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Teching In

I didn't realize most of my build never made it up here

Originally Posted by somedude
Update: Got the second engine back from napa yesterday. Machine work looks very nice. They also took that rusty pile and turned it into a very clan engine. The entire rotating assembly is installed. My back is really bad today so I am taking a day off from the car today. But I think there is only 6 hours or so until I have a mostly complete engine. The only thing I am missing are fuel injectors. I have not ordered them yet or send my fuel rail out for modification.

There has been yet another change to the project. With the use of a big hammer and a sawsall the entire engine is behind the front wheels. Obviously this is great news for weight distribution but it also mean that the stock manifolds will now fit. This is a MASSIVE time savings as well as a significant cost savings, and in a project like this anywhere I can save a grand is awesome news.

goals for tomorrow.

1. complete engine assembly
2. weld engine and trans mounts
3. make list for all piping to order
4. possibly mount turbo
Just some updates for those actually interested in the project.

Originally Posted by lowROLLERchevy
got the firewall cut out so that i could get the engine set where it actually belongs. Have to draw up some blueprints for the new shetmetal and get a quote since i dont have a press brake at my disposal right now.

few more pics of the motor sitting there. Pretty much the entire engine sits

Just need to get a scrap of 3/8 so i can finish off the shorter looking mount.

most of the ss tubing is also now ordered, as is the radiator and the intercooler.

and also the rollcage is getting painted pink because Alex told me i could paint "something" pink, and i
decided it would be best if i made people ask him why the hell his rollcage is pink. he also seams to think 4
cans of paint isnt enough for the cage ..

But anyways, heres pics of the other goings ons of the car. Trans tunnel mods are ugly but oh well.

---------- Post added at 02:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 AM ----------

DS intake plenum cut to angle the throttle body down enough to clear the hood, intake pipe cut to length and mocked in place, rad fans hanging via green wire. Start of the coolant pipe hanging on the PS of the intake. ABS ripped out.

And i think the mess on the floor is at the bleeding edge of functional. Any more stuff laying around and I would HAVE to clean up.

Before we cut the plenum the TB stuck up way to far. Even now there is only a 1/2" of hood clearance at the TB. if we hadn't moved the motor back 4" we would have needed a full length cowl hood.

Hood fits ! Latch is out atthe moment so its sitting fully on the front stops. I now realize that the factory fenders fit the hood like pure garbage.

Bracket that will keep the first section of intercooler piping from blowing off.

Firewall notch mostly finished. needs a small afterthought piece welded in, plus sealer and paint. And yes, every time i scribbled info on the floor in marker I immediately remembered "frack, that's going to be visible FOREVER, stoopid stoopid stooopid...."

$60 for flared 2" stainless exhaust pipes and flanges, we get 2 1/4 ss pipes and flanges that fit like THIS. I spent an hour trying to fix one of these and eventually just chucked both of them in the scrap bin.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Teching In

This weekend the second batch of tig welded stuff came back, so earlier today I was trying to fab up the hotside exhaust. at this point i just have to cut some straight lengths, tack some stuff together and place my 02 bungs and the vband flange. Pics of that stuff tomorrow.

Unfortunately today i realized that theres no longer room for the factory sway bar setup .... this may be due to the fact that the original was THROWN AWAY. so my options are either to throw out a few hundred bucks worth of SS tubing, or modify a sway bar setup into place later on.

On with the (few) pics:

Bumper mods, plus the hood latch and some misc stuff is back in for the first time since the project started. Thats a good sign !

Rad fans aint going ANYWHERE. Realized how over built it was after i put it in. woops

Bumper cover trimmed out for airflow. will be covered w/ a billet grill in the end.

2" pass side hotpipe and 3" dump from turbo, as seen from pass side front

Pass side of trans looking forward

looking down into the engine bay. Wastegate was later clocked so its pointing back somewhat and i stuck a 180* on it so it dumps into the top of the 3" 90* of the dump pipe

Thanks This thing is either gonna haul butt or we will find out what the HP
limit of the stock block / rods / crank are. Ford says they are good for "at
least 700hp" and we hope to find out.

some more updates:

replaced the sawhorse i broke, and I added some height to it in the process.
went from 25" high to 43" high. much easier to work on stuff now. Bit to
high for welding but WAY better then bending over constantly.

tranny cooler / engine oil cooler bracket

with coolers:

cutting the bumper to fit the coolers (and get rid of the curve that fed the
stock radiator arrangement. Will drill some holes so i can push clip the cover
to the 30" tube of the cooler mount. Ends of said tube will also get some
braces back to the frame to support it, along w/ bolting to the radiator
support at the back.

started the day today by cleaning up the one head we currently have in our possession. Did a better job of gasket matching then, and also did the area under the valves where yamaha wasnt to picky.

Here is a comparison of the before and after of the intake bowl (did the same thing on the exhaust side)

also did the short side radius of all the ports, as they have a sharp edge to them from the factory machining ... didnt photograph well though (smoothed on the right, factory on the left)

Alex decided to dive into the wiring harness today

and i started figuring out how to actually mount the cooler bracket. I had a
great idea on how to mount it ... then i dropped the bracket on my face twice in a row and forgot what i was thinking ... so im just gonna hang it w/ some mechanics wire and duct tape.

---------- Post added at 03:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 AM ----------

Currently I am still sorting out some of the wiring for the car. The headlights (low beam only), taillights work. Somewhere along the way the switch for the brake lights is missing from the pedal assembly so I need to get one. I still need to teach my self the turn signal circuit because I think something must be missing. The connecter for the HI beams has vanished. I don't know how that happened either. When I gutted the car in 09 I probably threw some of the stuff out my mistake so I want to get that sorted out before I introduce the SHO engine harness into the car. The SHO harness will actually be the easiest part of the whole build. Essentially there are 2 grounds and 2 hot's. apply fuel and turn the key.

The only major pieces missing from the build is the fuel system and some basic gauges. I am mounting oil temp and pressure, fuel level, RPM (maybe), EGT left and right and AFR. Everything else will be provided the factory ECU via a lap top mounted in the car. I still need to send my fuel rails out to be enlarged to fit the 48lb injectors that were originally in the turbo SHO. I don't have the money for the ones I want for the season so these will have to do at least to get it running before the snow flies.

As far as fab goes the project is quickly approaching completion. A few days more and the remainder of the tubing will be sent out for final welding. Then we break the whole thing down and paint all the BS stuff to make it look nice, and put everything back together. It just seems like there is a endless list of little BS stuff to do.

Originally Posted by HotRodKid
Acquired part of a grand am badge while searching the garage, stuck it on
the cr just to see who would notice. Alex caught it right away, and i think
hes the only one so far. It's on with butyl tape and when it finally blows
away we get to call the project a success.

Finally got all the exhaust made up w/ hangers. Needs tig welding still.

oil filter location, bias valve for the brakes hiding in the back. Alex is slacking
on the wiring still ... I think tomorrow we are going to slice and dice the ECU
wiring so it fits.

And here is a rather complicated cad file of how to build a car. Mainly used
as an instructional demonstration for the FWD crowd

Old 12-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Teching In

I don't really have much to update other than I have returned to work (my job not working on the car). This means I should be able to sort out my finances after a few months to purchase the rest of the fuel system. That is the last big purchase for this project. Everything else it just the million stupid things the need to be buttoned up.(brake lines, oil lines, wiring) The front of the car is way the **** in the air. So either the previous owner had stupid stiff front suspension (looks stock) or there is a serious amount of weight missing over stock...
Old 12-18-2011, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Cool project! A friend of mine had a SHO in high school, fast car but got good at replacing ball joints and axles haha.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

This is a fantastic build. I get pretty tired of logging on here and seeing the same hack job turbo kits. Yeah, it gets the job done, but shows no passion for what they are doing.

Much of this build is well thought out and well built. I am happy to see this quality level of fab work. My hat comes off to you.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Apparently I've also gotten myself signed up to help build an AWD MK4 TDI Jetta. The new rear floor pan is already on its way. Hopefully the TDI trans internals will swap into a AWD golf trans
Old 12-30-2011, 11:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My dad (god rest his soul) had 3 of these from 89-91. My mom had one of the V8's that came out in 96. Pops had chips in his to open the butterfly valve in the intake runners at 3000rpm instead of 4000rpm like they do stock, and some other things done like intake, and exhaust. Car was pretty damn quick and when those butterfly valves opened up that sound, oh that sound of a SHO motor, I'll never forget those days
Old 12-31-2011, 03:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribed, this is awesome. I wanna see it run!
Old 12-31-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

That is gangster as it gets.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

damn good fabricating skills you have. I would like to see more of this.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Wow, lots of room for that turbo!

My dad used to have a SHO, great motor, but man those transmissions sure do like to pop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: You guys are gonna shoot me: 95 Z28 V6 turbo swap