Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

should i ditch my procharger setup and go turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 04:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by lmt0705
d1is a little small for a 408 but you should still be faster than that i would think. If I go turbo i would be running some type of stock manifold right? my fuel system should be sufficient, I was only arount 80-85% duty cycle and I run meth for safety. what do you think im leaving on the table for hp with exhaust? (pacesetter/flowmaster) very embarassed to admit that by the way.LOL
Ouch, you're killing your combo with your headers and exhaust! I'd be curious as to how much power you'd pick up by going with Kooks 1-7/8 headers and a dual exhaust system. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-20-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A true dual? Does anyone make one that's not insanely loud?
Old 10-20-2011, 05:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

A true dual? Does anyone make one that's not insanely loud?
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Kooks-65-...02-OX-Dual.htm
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Kooks-65-...02-CX-DUAL.htm
I think you would find the above Kooks true dual systems to be quieter than the Texas Speed true dual system.

The Magnaflow cat back systems do a good job too, although with your blower and excellent heads, etc, I think you'd be losing a little power with a cat back. Bob
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Magnaflow...flow-15684.htm
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Magnaflow...flow-16723.htm

Old 10-20-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

What do u think a full true dual system would pick me up?
Old 10-20-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Kooks-65-...02-OX-Dual.htm
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Kooks-65-...02-CX-DUAL.htm
I think you would find the above Kooks true dual systems to be quieter than the Texas Speed true dual system.

The Magnaflow cat back systems do a good job too, although with your blower and excellent heads, etc, I think you'd be losing a little power with a cat back. Bob
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Magnaflow...flow-15684.htm
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Magnaflow...flow-16723.htm

Could always add a cutout to that magnaflow and open it up when you turn the boost up! That would help with hp and keep it a lil more quiet compared to true duals.
maganflow(400)+cutout(40)+TSP 1 7/8 headers(550)+ORY(150)=$1140 if you spend wisely.

Im sure you would end up spending close or more putting together your turbo setup for the extra needed supplies and then you also have to sell your SC stuff...
Old 10-20-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 10-20-2011, 06:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hard to say, but you have some really high flowing heads that are being force fed boost. I doubt there would be anything like a 50 rwhp over a good catback, but with your combination there just might be a lot of power to be had. It would make for a good magazine article. Bob

Old 10-20-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im getting tired of my true dual system... custom TD, no cats, dynomax race bullets 23" long...system dumped at teh axle, i love the tone, but god damn they are loud.... everytime i get on it, i look in my mirrow for cops.... id LOVE to have that kooks setup, but paying $1400 for an exhaust system is nuts...lol...

On topic now,

id stick with what you got, that F1 is a badass blower. Your going to have to have new exhuast when you run a turbo build, might as well just buy a nice exhaust for the SC setup. turbos are kool, but i wouldnt wanna mess with running oil feed/drain lines, fabbing up a custom crossover pipe for the exhaust, mounting wastegates/BOV's, custom downpipe and exhuast, granted there are sponsors that would hook ya up with what ya need. Dont fix what isnt broke i guess....

+1 for the procharger
Old 10-20-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Really good points Thanks! Maybe a killer exhaust setup and intake is the way to go. Those tips on that setup look s little obnoxious though
Old 10-20-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to get a F1A right now its just a dream.

Stick with what you have their was another thread on here were the Guy went from a procharger to Turbo and spent 18k more. Ill try to look for it.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

d1is a little small for a 408 but you should still be faster than that i would think. If I go turbo i would be running some type of stock manifold right? my fuel system should be sufficient, I was only arount 80-85% duty cycle and I run meth for safety. what do you think im leaving on the table for hp with exhaust? (pacesetter/flowmaster) very embarassed to admit that by the way.LOL
yeah, thats what im thought too, but im wondering if the headers are holding me back, im going to kooks 1 7/8 (sitting in the trunk right now. need to install them) and true duals and see if i pick up any. just need to find time between school and work. im hoping somehow thats the major restriction in my setup. i also have stock 6.0 truck heads, so that might be an issue too.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:36 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Another option is Bassani true dual exhaust. it is 2.5" stainless steel exhaust and can be found for around $800-$900 if you look hard enough. At that price it is cheaper then buying a cat back and a y pipe setup, plus will flow more and sound much better. I have one sitting in the box still i need to get installed one of these days.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

everyone goes right,..I go left.

First off, in a perfect world, i'd have multiple cars with a variety of power adders. But,..as we know, this isn't the case. So, i'll just give some insight, based off my personal experiences with both power adders on my personal car.

The smartest, in the name of easiest to do, and less downtime, would be to keep what you have, buy a real deal exhaust, and have a good time with the blower.

But,...I guess if I was given the option, do swap everything, and immediately get into a turbo or twin turbo KIT, as in remove the F1 kit and your exhaust, and immediatly install the turbo kit,..I would do it. For most of the reasons you already mentioned above. I had a baby procharger, which in my experienced worked great but, in the end, in a street racing/powershifting enviornment I ended up with multiple belt issues from slippage to breakage, to bracket changes, to more changes,...and in the end, it left me stranded in the middle of nowhere with a broken idler due to so much tension. At that point, I needed a fix. Now, times for blowers have kinda changed, multiple ribs, wraps, brackets, cogged(which is sick).....but all with some crazy cost involved to make work. I wasn't prepared to spend all that money, for more belt traction, and not that much more potentiol of power on my current setup by doing that.

I sold my blower kit,....which made 615rwhp on 8.5psi...on AFR 205's....and went with a pretty good twin turbo kit, on the same motor, making 11.5psi,..laid down 787rwhp only stopping due to lack of fuel(5700rpms). Needless to say, I haven't looked back. For me, the type of kit on my car was quite a learning curve but, you know what, that car was way better for me and my type of driving. More work yes, to start all over,..and do what needed to be done but, its what I really wanted, I would do it again and again,.. Not only that, the power increase was crazy,..not to mention, the car ended up getting quieter tone wise.

If your really wanting to go turbo,....you should do it. However, the F1,...probably one of the sickest blowers ever produced. Never had one,..just a P1sc(old school blades-original procharger style). If I had, who knows, maybe I would still be running a blower. Anyways, if your going to do this, I would recommend a kit that works well, and does everything you want it to. Do some research on some kits here in this section, you'll find everything you need.

Sorry for the curve ball,..just giving my answer to your question based off my personal experience with the two.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
everyone goes right,..I go left.

First off, in a perfect world, i'd have multiple cars with a variety of power adders. But,..as we know, this isn't the case. So, i'll just give some insight, based off my personal experiences with both power adders on my personal car.

The smartest, in the name of easiest to do, and less downtime, would be to keep what you have, buy a real deal exhaust, and have a good time with the blower.

But,...I guess if I was given the option, do swap everything, and immediately get into a turbo or twin turbo KIT, as in remove the F1 kit and your exhaust, and immediatly install the turbo kit,..I would do it. For most of the reasons you already mentioned above. I had a baby procharger, which in my experienced worked great but, in the end, in a street racing/powershifting enviornment I ended up with multiple belt issues from slippage to breakage, to bracket changes, to more changes,...and in the end, it left me stranded in the middle of nowhere with a broken idler due to so much tension. At that point, I needed a fix. Now, times for blowers have kinda changed, multiple ribs, wraps, brackets, cogged(which is sick).....but all with some crazy cost involved to make work. I wasn't prepared to spend all that money, for more belt traction, and not that much more potentiol of power on my current setup by doing that.

I sold my blower kit,....which made 615rwhp on 8.5psi...on AFR 205's....and went with a pretty good twin turbo kit, on the same motor, making 11.5psi,..laid down 787rwhp only stopping due to lack of fuel(5700rpms). Needless to say, I haven't looked back. For me, the type of kit on my car was quite a learning curve but, you know what, that car was way better for me and my type of driving. More work yes, to start all over,..and do what needed to be done but, its what I really wanted, I would do it again and again,.. Not only that, the power increase was crazy,..not to mention, the car ended up getting quieter tone wise.

If your really wanting to go turbo,....you should do it. However, the F1,...probably one of the sickest blowers ever produced. Never had one,..just a P1sc(old school blades-original procharger style). If I had, who knows, maybe I would still be running a blower. Anyways, if your going to do this, I would recommend a kit that works well, and does everything you want it to. Do some research on some kits here in this section, you'll find everything you need.

Sorry for the curve ball,..just giving my answer to your question based off my personal experience with the two.
Well now you went and done it!!!!!! lol

From what I have seen there is no perfect system. Blowers run off of belts which rob more horsepower from the engine than the back pressure created from a turbo, so a good turbo system can make more power than a blower. However, I've had a lot of people order ProChargers from me who had or have a turbo system and have had nothing but problems with them. I realize there are those who have had ProChargers who have had problems too, who then go the turbo route. I guess the "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" applies here too.

The F Body ProCharger belt slippage problem that is created when bumping up the boost, is corrected with either the Aster bracket or the SDCE bracket modifications. The F-1A is also quite capable of getting these cars into the 8's into the 1/4, plus there is always the F-1C and the F-1R. As you have mentioned though, if the OP wants to go turbo though, go turbo. Bob

Old 10-22-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i definatly dont want to open up a can of worms and chase all kinds of problems next season going with a turbo system that I know nothing about. It would be a great reason to learn about the other side of forced induction though. what would be a guess of my power increase if I switch to a fast 102/102 setup and a set of 1 7/8 or 2in headers and a true dual setup? if I could get in the 900 range i might be happy with that for a week or so LOL! the reality of it is I want to be able to run in the 5s and 8s this coming season and if i can do it with the f1 i may just keep it as the only real issues ive ever had are belts breaking with the procharger setup.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

for your goals of 8's, the f1 will be more than suffecient. get sum 1 7/8 headers and true duals or put some cut outs in your y-pipe.

my next set up is going to consist of an AES 390 and a f1r
Old 10-22-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Would 2in be too big of header?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Would 2in be too big of header?
I honestly don't think a 2" header on a f1 car is too big. Maybe Bob will chime in, but 2" headers and 3" true dual or or bigger system would work great. On a procharged car, bigger is better on exhaust. I think that if you stayed with the procharger and did a bigger intake and exhaust 900hp is very obtainable. You have me pulling for you as a fellow f1a guy.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol! Thanks I might go for it
Old 10-23-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

My father in law has an sts on his c6, he has had some issues but loves it. I have a d1sc on my 01 z/28 and love it. I have had zero issues, other than the constant tire buying.lol Like before mentioned both avenues have their pros and cons. However in your situation I feel you owe it to your current setup to see what it will or could do if optimized. I would go with a 1 7/8 headers and duals or a y with a 4 inch cutout for the track or spirited driving. I would go with magnaflow for a catback to keep the sound down while cruising. Just my two cents. Good luck with your choice and build..

Quick Reply: should i ditch my procharger setup and go turbo?