Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ok do's and dont's. Replacing Procharged Ls1 with Ls3

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011 | 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool Ok do's and dont's. Replacing Procharged Ls1 with Ls3

Ok... i have a 2002 Trans Am 6M. I threw a rod in the stock LS1 at 9 lbs of boost with the Procharger (D1). I am planning on getting a forged Ls3 (375 ci) from Schwanke engines but i do plan on getting Trick Flow heads or possibly Patiots and keeping my Ls6 Intake. I talked to Jeremy from Schwanke engines and he said he will have Isky make me a cutom cam for what i need. I am in colorado at about 5200 ft and plan to boost as much as i can. Not sure what to expect tho being at my elevation. I am probly 4 to 5 months out from having this somewhat completed, so no real hurry. I just want to do my homework first and not rush anything. thanks for any advise!
Old 10-22-2011 | 05:43 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by T/AWS6969
Ok... i have a 2002 Trans Am 6M. I threw a rod in the stock LS1 at 9 lbs of boost with the Procharger (D1). I am planning on getting a forged Ls3 (375 ci) from Schwanke engines but i do plan on getting Trick Flow heads or possibly Patiots and keeping my Ls6 Intake. I talked to Jeremy from Schwanke engines and he said he will have Isky make me a cutom cam for what i need. I am in colorado at about 5200 ft and plan to boost as much as i can. Not sure what to expect tho being at my elevation. I am probly 4 to 5 months out from having this somewhat completed, so no real hurry. I just want to do my homework first and not rush anything. thanks for any advise!
My understanding is that the ProCharger can be pulleyed to a max shaft speed and what it makes for boost is what it makes for boost based on the combo. Altitude doesn't really matter other than when you go to a lower altitude it will raise the boost. You just have to watch fueling if you go to a lower altitude with it. The additional cubes, better heads, and cam will all make more power but lower the boost level.
Old 10-22-2011 | 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for chiming in. I was wondering if anyone would have any comments or advise on the install or ect??
Old 10-25-2011 | 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone else?
Old 10-26-2011 | 03:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

anyone else?
I'd go with a set of heads that don't start with production cylinder heads. The reason is you're wanting to get as much boost as possible, and a thicker deck will help to prevent the heads from lifting and blowing a head gasket. AFR, Trick Flow, RHS and others have thicker decks that will do the job for you.

I'd recommend replacing the stock ProCharger J bracket with the Aster bracket, as you'll encounter blower belt slippage past 14 psi or so with the stock J Bracket. Here is a link to the Aster bracket. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Aster-Aut...er-Bracket.htm Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-26-2011 | 03:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

If you have the twin intercoolers I'd replace them with a front mount. Here is a link to the ProCharger front mount intercooler assembly. http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1GJ11...-1GJ115-IC.htm

If you want to see a copy of the ProCharger front mount intercooler instructions, shoot me an e-mail at brutespeed@gmail.com Bob

Old 10-26-2011 | 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

I hurt my ls1 as well and went forged 347. I wish I would have gone bigger myself. I think the ls3 is a great chioce. Prolly the biggest motor I would put with a d1sc. Good luck. You might not use the LS3 heads but use the valves in your new heads.
Old 10-27-2011 | 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wink

thanks for chiming in Bob! yeah i am leaning toword going with the trick flows. i am totally not sure if i will be able to hit 14 psi at my elevation. but gonna try . will the Patriot heads work just as well? i do not know if they have a thicker deck or not....
Old 10-27-2011 | 09:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

thanks for chiming in Bob! yeah i am leaning toword going with the trick flows. i am totally not sure if i will be able to hit 14 psi at my elevation. but gonna try . will the Patriot heads work just as well? i do not know if they have a thicker deck or not....
You're welcome. The Patriots are based off of stock heads, and I would limit them to around 16 psi with a supercharger. You might want to think about what your future goals will be, as most people end up craving more power sooner or later. We're junkies.... Bob

Old 10-28-2011 | 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How much is the fast intake beneficial over the ls 6 intake for the street?

Quick Reply: Ok do's and dont's. Replacing Procharged Ls1 with Ls3