Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Stock Shortblock Shootout updates and competitors thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Shortblock Shootout updates and competitors thread.

Wanted to start a new thread with some info

Site is updated, will know this week when the final dates for the race are. However It is proposed to be at the end of April 2012.

Rules for classes are now posted as well as a start to the Competitors Page.

There are MANY more competitors already building combinations and excited to come to the race. Use THIS THREAD to post pics or your projects or cars you plan to bring. Feel free to list any mods or even plans for your build.

Hopefully this thread will showcase some of the combinations being built and what potential has already been seen.

Thanks guys!

Sam Daffron.

Please visit www.Stockshortblockshootout.com for rules ect.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:51 PM
FormerVendor

We are in Sam.. We will also support and race in the event as well!

Chris
Old 10-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds great man! Link me some pics of the customer cars your bringing
Old 10-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Saw you got some pics of the GT up, she's a beaut, isn't she? We're gonna see if we can figure this whole turbo thing out, since we've never messed with it before. I figure we've got 6 months to totally build, and race, a car we just drug out of the bushes behind the house. Put in a stock motor, build a turbo kit, fuel system, suspension, then tune and blast, no problem. I see lots of late nights in the future. lol

Great idea for a race Sam, I know its gonna be a blast. Thanks for putting this together.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Website updated again!

Open test and tune, pre-registration Friday April 27th (9pm-1am) Allows people to test and get settled traveling from long distances.

Can stay at the track in campers or Gadsden alabama has hotels 5 miles from the track.

Race is Saturday April 28th 2012. See ya there.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"- Readily Available Mass Production Aftermarket Cathedral Port heads Only. Trickflow's AFR's ect."

no aftermarket square port heads ?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Stick shift class?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

There are many people with box stock aftermarket cathedral ports in use. You can buy them relatively cheap nowadays, comparable with a cnc factory casting. Aftermarket squareports still bring a premium and im wanting this to still gravitate around some sort of "budget minded" race. If the rules were completely open then there would be guys blueprinting a factory setup and have 4-5k heads and valvetrain, 2k intakes and in the end turn a $1000 motor combo into an $8000-10000 dollar one.

NOT saying there would be ANY benefit at all from using the $$$ parts, and with the fact the factory parts can only hold so much stress and take so much power... coupled with the fact they are RPM limited as well. A large cam and aftermarket squareports wouldnt have any velocity with the limited cubic inches and rpm used. Probably a dog turd of a motor down low that will get walked by stock headed combo's (have customers with large displacement turbo setups going from large squares back to smaller cathedrals and we actually picked up so much low-midrange power we went faster) Im just saving people the embarrassment with the rules
Old 11-03-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the piont of the 275 limit in the heavier class.

This in no way promotes producing and using the most power possible from a stock short block.

Originally Posted by turbodiesel
There are quiet a few stock shortblock cars running for records all around this country. Many more than people realize. Some are just having fun not aware of any record at all. Its time to bring them all together and see what can actually be accomplished with these amazing motors.

Rules are short and sweet... Must be a stock shortblock motor with factory casting heads. 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2 ect. ANY power adder allowed in any combination. Head studs, rodbolts any intake and cam allowed. NO weight limit for the chassis. Any suspension allowed, any transmission allowed. Any fuel injection system or even carburator allowed. HOWEVER! it has to be a door car, (no crazy people with a go cart or rail job LOL) has to be on true 10.5 slicks (or any size radial) and NO wheelie bars.
Why the change in direction? To make it competitive? What is the point of the tire limit, now?

Is the challenge to keep the stock pistons in one piece, but only if you are on a 275. This makes no sense.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Tire and weight shouldn't matter. It isn't the 3200lb 26x8.5 ls stock shortblock shootout is it??

Would love a stick shift class
Old 11-03-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oneoverwrx
Tire and weight shouldn't matter. It isn't the 3200lb 26x8.5 ls stock shortblock shootout is it??

Would love a stick shift class
You say there shouldn't be classes(weight), but you want a stick class.

I don't care about weight, but why go from any tire, to a 275 at the last minute?

This could be the difference between us bringing two cars, or one.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Launching!

I meant any tire should be allowed. And as far as a stick class, I choose to have a t56 yes but it is a disadvantage and would level the field for the stick guys. I am 50/50 at best.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Im listening

Theres many people who are getting up in arms about running against chassis cars, no stock suspension ect ect ect. People with a relatively stock 3500lb camaro upset about running a 3300lb tubbed bracket car. No one posts anything publicly for everyone to read, but instead I get phonecalls and emails daily, which in of itself isnt a problem.

So the question stands in Limited Stock class... Do I make more people upset by allowing the big tire cars? Or more upset by having some differentiation in the class and keeping the heavy chassis cars atleast on a compareable tire... You can still run the 28x10.5 drag slick as well.

It can be argued that your not breaking any stock shortblock records at 3200lbs anyway (besides winning the class and being the fastest in a factory ls equipped car)

Im not opposed to massaging the rules even at this point. The race is exactly 6 months away. Everyone speak up please... speak up publicly so people have an idea of the views being expressed.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

On another note there are some wild projects being put together. VERY unique cars being put under the knife and massaged just for this race.

If I can get some dang pictures from everyone calling, this thread would turn very interesting.

An older stingray Vette being built, even word of a 48' ford anglia.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Teching In

I'll be attending! Lots of work to do, but I will be ready for this race.
It looked a hell of a lot worse before I got my hands on it.

I hope to see you all there!

Anyone have an s10 passenger window?... TurboDiesel shattered mine in my hands haha
Old 11-07-2011, 01:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Should be a good race, I'm waiting to see exactly what weekend another race will be to see if we can make it down for this or not. The other race will take priority, it was late April this year, but they haven't set a date yet for next year.

I really do think we'll see some fast passes, 170+ mph and 8.20's or quicker I think will be doable in a good chassis.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

I would also be down to see a stick class for this race although I wouldn't be against putting an auto back in the car for this if not
Old 12-27-2011, 04:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No update in awhile, how is this coming? I don't think we'll be making it down due to this other race I have to go to that is the same time.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:21 AM
On The Tree

My co-host and I intend on coming if we can get a little sponsorship help so we can finish the cage and turbo part of the build. We also have to weight the car to see if we can make 3200 without adding too much weight to the car. I like the idea a stick class but I would make it a N/A stick class like NMCA's hot street or pro stock. Thats it call it "Pro-stock Shortblock"

I know this takes a lot of time and people to make happen but a True Street class with a best of 3 time trial and 30 mile drive. Those classes change up the days action and bring people back to stands to watch and can easily bring an extra 100 cars. Don't expect them to have an engine blanket tho most of these cars are daily drivers.

On the blanket issue I would make sure and have a vendor there that sells thos and have plenty on hand. Racers will drive thousands of miles away knowing they aren't legal hoping they can sneak through or the can talk their way out of a rule. Have you thought about allowing sheet metal containment pans?

Oh if we come we are going to do our internet radio show live and will post many videos and photos on the website. www.thunderroadshow.com
Old 12-30-2011, 03:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We will be there with my car set on kill...

Quick Reply: Stock Shortblock Shootout updates and competitors thread.