Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Gm high-tech supercharger wastegate what do you think

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gm high-tech supercharger wastegate what do you think

I just the GM high-tech january issue with the article about wastegates on 5th gen disc kits. Ati always has kept me away from this approach. Any thoughts? Blow off and waste gate?
Old 10-26-2011, 05:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this what your talking about??

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ntrollers.html
Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I read the article as well, and don't really see the benefit. Essentially you're setting the pulley ratio so that you hit max rpm for the blower, but you blow off any additional boost generated above a certain threshold. I have always been under the impression that max torque is what kills motors, not neccesarily horsepower past that rpm. So if you pulley the setup to make 550 rwtq max, but then limit the boost after that point all you're doing is losing horsepower.

I don't know, maybe I'm way off.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You hook the wastegate to an electronic boost controller with CO2 which allows you to ramp in the boost. This is for traction control and getting the most out of the blower.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

Idk how well it works but I do remember reading about it in a 5.0 magazine probly about 7 years a go. Seems like a good idea but could be wrong
Old 10-26-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was about to post on this after reading it and think it is a great idea. A centrifugal blower is limited on the low end so that it wont over boost at higher rpms. By using a wastegate you can use a smaller pulley to have your target boost hit earlier in the rpm range. I have always preferred turbos because of the simplicity to adjust boost pressure based on what octane you run. With this kind of setup you potentially could run a 17-20 psi pulley and control it with the wastegate to take it down to 8-11 psi at 91 octane and when you use race gas raise the boost pressure for the track.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I read the article as well, and don't really see the benefit. Essentially you're setting the pulley ratio so that you hit max rpm for the blower, but you blow off any additional boost generated above a certain threshold. I have always been under the impression that max torque is what kills motors, not neccesarily horsepower past that rpm. So if you pulley the setup to make 550 rwtq max, but then limit the boost after that point all you're doing is losing horsepower.

I don't know, maybe I'm way off.
It shouldn't hurt the top end because you are going to have the boost level the same at higher rpm. The wastegate only allows excess boost pressure to bypass so you essentially will be having the benefit of no lag of a supercharger with the torque and top end like a turbo. Torque is what breaks parts but it is also what gets the car up and moving so the more the better as long as you can keep traction.

Quick Reply: Gm high-tech supercharger wastegate what do you think