Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Satan z31

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You sneaky bastard! I had no idea you were doing this!! Im coming to see it!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:16 AM
On The Tree

Well speak of the Devil (like you never hear that one). Fancy meeting you here. The build looks good. I'm not sure I would have run the intercooler the way you did but it looks cool. What is your bumper cover going to look like when its all done? Looks like moving the radiator up that much killed a lot of the room you once had for the turbo. I am going to run the volvo intercooler that the Grand National guys often upgrade to plus a small shot of gas to cool things down instead of a big heavy intercooler. Looks like your a few months ahead of my build as we had to make a pitstop at the machine shop. Here is my LS2 build thread if you want to keep up. Its cool seeing the nissan/datsun conversion support over here. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post15681190

Good Luck,
Doug
Old 12-02-2011, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wire guy
Well speak of the Devil (like you never hear that one). Fancy meeting you here. The build looks good. I'm not sure I would have run the intercooler the way you did but it looks cool. What is your bumper cover going to look like when its all done? Looks like moving the radiator up that much killed a lot of the room you once had for the turbo. I am going to run the volvo intercooler that the Grand National guys often upgrade to plus a small shot of gas to cool things down instead of a big heavy intercooler. Looks like your a few months ahead of my build as we had to make a pitstop at the machine shop. Here is my LS2 build thread if you want to keep up. Its cool seeing the nissan/datsun conversion support over here. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post15681190

Good Luck,
Doug
I did not move the radiator. It is in the stock location. You have a z31, you should know this.

Unless you change radiators to something smaller, there is absolutely no other way to route 3.5" IC piping... period. This IC has been on this car in this position for over 6 years now.

This is how it sits with the nose on the car... I fail to see the problem here.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

I'm now facing a heavy dilema... Turbocharger or Transmission.

I just got the funds to buy my Transmission Specialties PL 2500 powerglide rated for 1150hp. However, A was just offered a used (good shape) Garrett GT4508R ceramic coated for $1400 (a steal). This would be the perfect turbo for my 1000whp goal. They retail for right around $2500

I already have the BW 75mm turbo. I put a 60mm gate on there so I could flow a **** ton of exhaust through itand not have to worry about too much back pressure. I also have a N2O kit I was going to slap on there to make up the last 150 or so whp needed to hit my 1000whp goal. Manifolds/cross over is already made, IC piping is already done.

I want to get this car up and running. Stealing this turbo puts me further back from that goal. That and my 75mm turbo will already make over 800whp. I think I'm going to just get the tranny cause I need it. I don't need the steal of a turbo.

This is currently how it is sitting.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SATAN
I did not move the radiator. It is in the stock location. You have a z31, you should know this.

Unless you change radiators to something smaller, there is absolutely no other way to route 3.5" IC piping... period. This IC has been on this car in this position for over 6 years now.

This is how it sits with the nose on the car... I fail to see the problem here.
I know the radiator lays forward it must be the angle of the photo and the fact that its a thicker aftermarket radiator that makes it look like you raised the top of it or changed the angle it lays. It could be my fan is a little thinner and looks like there is more room down there.

Your bumper cover looks fine. The big aluminum intercooler looks really in your face. I am going to take my car to the Texas Mile and have been thinking of following suit with the mustang guys and closing off more of the front cover and making it solid like those guys do and forcing air across the radiator and intercooler via under the car instead of through the bumper cover. I will probably add a real meth injection system instead of a bigger air to air intercooler like what you have. With the humidity we deal with hear in Houston and Texas and I want instant cool and the octane boost meth gives instead of what air blowing across fins. Thats just me tho. Keep up the good work and I would get the trans now and get used to the additional power and et your going to enjoy. Turbo deals come along every day. Here is a video to get you motivated. 3400lb mustang, stock lq9 with an 88mm turbo, zo6 cam, POWER GLIDE, drag radials. They did change head gaskets and added head studs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK4CvhKUqvY
Old 12-02-2011, 06:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Yes, get the glide man. Turbo can come later, plus i really wanna see where your 75mm tops out at
Old 12-02-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

1 up for the glide! Your work so far looks great man!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Here is some more motivation lol, stock LQ9 with stock LS3 heads/intake and a used LS7 cam, 5000lb curb weight. First on is a 11.9 pass other two are 11.8's i think, didn't have anyone there to catch my 11.60 passes. Video's suck i know lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeimyPuvFuI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izZUV_DjTYY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdLw_khkQT8
Old 12-02-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I have decided to get the tranny. I have more than enough turbo to get in trouble right now. And if not, then I have a wet kit to throw at it too. Even getting the tranny, I still have get a converter, and get a drive shaft made too. Getting the turbo is just not a smart move for trying to get this thing going for this coming spring/summer.

Tranny cost me $1,825 shipped. I love manual trannies but, I simply can't justify the cost of getting a built manual T56 for the prices people charge. That and a built $5,000 T56 will barely hold as much as this entry level glide does. WTF? So I don't have as much top end. So what... People have no business doing 200mph on a damn city street anyways.

This is what I got.
Rated at 1150hp from Transmission Specialties
-Totally reconditioned stock pump
-NEW Heat treated stator support
-NEW Replacement pump gears
-NEW 300M STEEL input shaft (Glide to Turbo)
-NEW 8 Alto Red Eagle clutches/steels
-NEW Steel lightened clutch hub
-NEW 1.80 9310 straight cut gears
w/ 2 year warranty
-NEW Alloy gear housing
with 4340 steel output
-NEW dual lip ring billet servo
-NEW deep alluminum pan with drain
-NEW Pro Lite (pro tree) trans brake V/B
-NEW high performance gaskets/seals

Last edited by SATAN; 12-03-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

Ordered my Melling igh volume 0il pump today. Anybody know the spring part number to get the higher pressure spring? Or can you shim the stock spring and get a little more pressure out of it?

I also traded all my Peterson drysump stuff with a member on here for a nice turbo torque converter, Comp cams turbo cam, patriot dual springs and Ti retainers.

A little present also showed up at work today.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

That looks sexy looks like mine, lol

Who did you deal with over their? Peter, i believe is the owner or atleast the manager, what a stand up guy! Those are great people to deal with man!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JAX04
That looks sexy looks like mine, lol

Who did you deal with over their? Peter, i believe is the owner or atleast the manager, what a stand up guy! Those are great people to deal with man!
I actually didn't buy it direct. I bought it from Grand national specialties. They had the best price I could find on it. I didn't feel bad though, because it is still a sale to Transmission Specialties.

I did call up to Transmission Specialties though. I can't remember who I talked too, but he was extremely friendly and helpful with any questions I had for him.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:17 AM
TECH Veteran

I actually didn't buy it direct. I bought it from Grand national specialties. They had the best price I could find on it. I didn't feel bad though, because it is still a sale to Transmission Specialties.

I did call up to Transmission Specialties though. I can't remember who I talked too, but he was extremely friendly and helpful with any questions I had for him.
I did either, lol.

I bout my proline from a local guy, it was brand new, but it was a short transmission, and i couldnt use that, (i didnt know this at the time), I called up TSI and they offered to tear it down and replace the parts thats required to make it full length again. All i had to do is pay shipping. Great people.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Hell yeah getting closer! Went to see it in person the other night, its looking bad ***. This will be a runner for sure......!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 89LS1FOXER
Hell yeah getting closer! Went to see it in person the other night, its looking bad ***. This will be a runner for sure......!
Thanks man!

If anything is a runner though, it is your 6000lb daily driver truck that runs 11.5 in the 1/4!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

I think me and you are gonna have a fun race season lol, we both had the same problems for a long time and tried to stick it out but you just can't beat an LS setup.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:16 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 89LS1FOXER
I think me and you are gonna have a fun race season lol, we both had the same problems for a long time and tried to stick it out but you just can't beat an LS setup.
Bandimere tech will be all over you guy's
Old 12-13-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

I'm taking care of them this winter lol, they sure watch out for you, i've been stopped a few times at the staging lanes because they think my truck is yours and then they'll let me go lol. Doing a cage and driveshaft loop here in the next few months, already have all the SFI stuff that i needed too.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks man!

If anything is a runner though, it is your 6000lb daily driver truck that runs 11.5 in the 1/4!
5000lb DD with a 11.66 best, don't want to over sell it lol
Old 12-13-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Jon's Z should be good as far as that goes, he has one hell of a cage in that car!

Quick Reply: Satan z31