Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Satan z31

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the fuzzy pictures, they are phone pics. It is because it is very easy to snap pics with the phone and upload it real quick. That and it is just to give everyone and idea of what is going on. Not meant for a photo shoot.

Catch can I made using bronze wool as packing with a K&N filter on top. Uses -10 coming off of the valve covers.

OEM cover with the oil baffle in place in OEM location. You can see on the right side where I put the -10 fitting.

Then all I had to do was move the baffle over to the right side to put it over the -10 port. Direct fit.

Series of flaring the fuel line, for those who wonder how it is done. This is a single flare. I have the option to do double flare, but single works just fine.

My oil cooler location. It uses -6 line. In the future I would like to upgrade to -8. But we'll see if -6 is sufficient first.

Some random body work I am envious of...

My rats next of a fuse block for the ECU.

My crank shaft mail box post. Utilizing two VG30E cranks and one LS1 cam and one KA24E cam. I am in the process of making a sheet metal aluminum box with some big fat welds. Gonna put on some pneumatic arms for auto closing as well... Just took this with my smart phone. uploaded it to photobucket. By the time I got back inside, it was already on photobucket and ready to post up. I love technology!

This is how it sits now for the most part. May have to clean up some of the wiring over the plenum. Not too proud of that, but there is a reason it looks like that, which I'm not going to get into right now, but it is my fault...

Then I had to go from 4" split into dual 3". Then I had to snake it past the steering column. Getting dual 3" past there is a lot easier than getting one single 4" past there, which I had to do in the past.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Banned

It looks like a tight fit. Nice work!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

So I reached my goal... sorta. Close enough. Goal was to get it running and potentially driving around by the end of March.

After a long day of tracking down problems and just random ****, I managed to get the car fired up at the last minute today (actually tonight). Fired up on the stock 6.0 tune but with E85. Ran for about 3 seconds, then died. I'm assuming it died just because it was too lean on E85 which would make sense (didn't get a chance to check out the wide band to see). I can get out there tomorrow or sometime this week and start tuning, but it was already 9:15 when I fired it up, and my neighbor who's room is right next to my garage goes to sleep at 8:30.

I'm always impressed with how fast this thing fires up. Even with a bigger cam and a stock tune for gasoline but running ethanol and changing it from like 28lb injectors to 160lb injectors... It just lights right up with no hesitation.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

So I put in a bunch of work yesterday and I got the car out of the garage under it's own power. Washed all the dust off of it and took it around the block. It drives ok, need to look into a couple of noises, but nothing terrible. My radiator cap was spewing coolant at only 190 degrees though, so I have to figure that out.

Just a very productive day overall, and I reached my goal of driving the car by the end of March. I also took some pictures yesterday.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Updates ..... Sweet build... By far the best welding Ive seen...
Old 04-23-2014, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Ugh... So after lots of life drama... Finally got the car to a point that's worth posting about.

Here are two different dynos. WHP is close to the same, but wheel torque is drastically different. On the Dyno Dynamics, I maxed out the waste gate spring at 19psi and it would drop to 17psi. When I took it to the Dynojet, the only thing I changed was I added another spring in the waste gate and it held 20psi. I don't know why the Dynojet reads like it does. I told them to throw it on and see what it does. Limiter is set at 6,500rpms. Thinking about raising it to 6,800 just for some better trap speeds when I go to Bandimere.

Here is the Dyno Dynamics graph.

And here is a Dynojet graph.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

That thing has to be insane to drive. Very nice.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
That thing has to be insane to drive. Very nice.
It's definitely a hand full. I had to have the guy running the dyno tell me how much boost it was making and if it was holding, cause I can't really watch that and the road while driving it. If it were slower, sure. But it's just too much now.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:55 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Z car FTW!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any oiling issues with the turbo leaned over like that?
Old 04-24-2014, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Love the build man. I had a 88 Z back in the day, traded it in on the Camaro back in 01. Your instrument cluster brings back classic 80's memories. Now I wish I would have hung on to it for a swap like this... Very cool.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I knew you were at Revs, I would have stopped by!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

I have not had any oiling issues with the turbo at the angle it's at. The angle is less than 15 degrees from horizontal though. It may look more extreme than it is cause of the angle the pictures were taking.

I also noticed that the wiring in some of those previous picture looks like garbage, splayed over the intake manifold like that. I have since fixed all of that wiring. I have lengthened it where needed and tucked it under fuel rails and other places and it looks much neater now.

Last edited by SATAN; 04-24-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

Ok guys... I'm heading back to the Dyno Dynamics dyno today. Going to shoot for over 800whp today. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 25lbs of boost (give or take). Doing a Rotella triple protection 15w40 oil change this morning.

Hopefully this thing holds together. I like this tuner though. He seems to err on the side of caution rather than being greedy to see how much he can make.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck. I read through but didnt see the final specs of your combo. Is it still a stock short block with a cam and intake? What cam?
Old 05-10-2014, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

So I swear to ******* Christ, I am just a magnet for spun rod bearings. I go to start the car today to get it ready after a fresh oil change, I notice I have lower than normal oil pressure (25psi) at idle. I don't really think too much of it... pull the car on the trailer to take it to the dyno, and I hear a slight rattle when I put it a little over 2000 rpm.

This time it's not cause of ARP rod bolts. It's a factory bottom end with factory rod bolts, that I have never touched. I've never spun the engine higher than 6,500rpm. Granted that's on the high side, but nothing absurd as far as these engines go.

So now, I gotta get some bearings, and some Katech rod bolts and rip it apart. I'm going to do it with the engine in the car though.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man that ******* sucks. You'll get it back up in no time like normal man.

Quick Reply: Satan z31