Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

anyone used an EMUSA wastegate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think of the chain reaction you can have if that Chinese gate freezes shut or breaks apart.... Let's see what people have actually lost with eBay gate, turbos, complete motors including blocks, heads, rods and any thing attached to that is at risk when it goes. Forget the broken parts, what about you or the person driving next to you if/when it fails? I'm not saying good parts never fail but why risk it for ~$200?
Old 12-22-2011, 12:16 AM
11 Second Club

I can assure you guys all these points have been considered. My intention with this thread was to see how many people had failure experience with this particular wastegate. As I've said before, I have yet to hear of this particular wastegate failing. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm not asking for anyones opinion whether this is the best option as far as a wastegate goes, or if people think I should risk the wastegate failing or the world coming to a catastrophic end because my 50 dollar wastegate failed lol I fully understand all possible consequences and risks, and thank you gentleman for your reminders, but I'm looking for people that have first hand feedback with this particular wastegate, and whether those experiences were positive or negative. And as I've said many times, I have yet to hear of one of these fail.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssinister550
And as I've said many times, I have yet to hear of one of these fail.
Thats cuz people on here know better to not use junk parts for their build and like to take care of their car. Check the honda sites.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

I've googled it and funny you say that, the honda and dsm guys use the **** out of these without failure lol and there's plenty of people on here that use ebay **** idk what you're talking about, hell even hotrod magazine made over 1200hp with a buncha junk china turbo stuff for many dyno pulls without a hiccup on a stock 4.8 shortblock. And there have been 3 or 4 ls1 guys chime in on this thread alone that say they work great and haven't seen a problem with them. I'm honestly getting tired of the negativity here lol I don't care if you think its a bad Idea, ONCE again, I'm not looking for OPINIONS people, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A FACTUAL STORY BASED UPON FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE WITH A 38mm EMUSA WASTEGATE, THEN DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME REPLYING TO THIS THREAD haha or do and prove your ignorance whatever you'd like to do lol this is just a damn street car its not like its gonna be in boost 100% of the time or even 50% of the time for that matter, its a mild budget turbo bud for a street car, I'm not tryin to set the world on fire with my ebay parts people lol jus wanna play around a little bit and from what I've read there's plenty of people that have used these on their daily driven street cars for years without fail. Call me an idiot but that's all I need to know lol there's no black magic to this **** people. If I can google it and ask around and do everything I can to try and find even one horror story on the emusa (I know plenty of ebay gates have failed) and not find a bad review on them, then I'm going to try it out. And since ill be setting stem to guide clearance as it should be and inspecting everything else, there's no reason why it shouldn't work.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Turbosmart FTW....
Old 12-22-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know. I think I'll get one of their blow off valves also they look nice. Are you putting yours on your cts-v in your avatar? That's what mine will be going on, My 05 stealth grey v1 with a tc78...
Yep, I'm going to be running a rear mount On3Performance 76mm ball bearing turbo. I dismantled it and posted pictures in another thread. I'll do the same for the wastegate and blowoff valve if you guys want. Whenever I buy something from China (or any other questionable sources) I tend to do a little disassembly and inspection to verify quality. Generally I have been finding that foreign stuff is surprisingly well made and well designed. It isn't the wild west like it used to be. QC has vastly improved.

I also like to share the information on forums like this so other people can make informed decisions about these parts. After all, if Chinese manufacturers of these parts are trying to shed the misconceptions about quality that have plagued them over the years and are building quality pieces, who am I to propagate that misconception? Might as well give them a chance, no?
Old 12-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Let me know what you find out homie, that way I can buy mine for the coupe.. So you can gimme the hook up on what needs to be done to them, if anything. Also, can you check out my Turbonetics gate that I got for my big motor? If so, I'll bring it down along with my compressor housings the next time I'm down.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by killernoodle
Yep, I'm going to be running a rear mount On3Performance 76mm ball bearing turbo. I dismantled it and posted pictures in another thread. I'll do the same for the wastegate and blowoff valve if you guys want. Whenever I buy something from China (or any other questionable sources) I tend to do a little disassembly and inspection to verify quality. Generally I have been finding that foreign stuff is surprisingly well made and well designed. It isn't the wild west like it used to be. QC has vastly improved.

I also like to share the information on forums like this so other people can make informed decisions about these parts. After all, if Chinese manufacturers of these parts are trying to shed the misconceptions about quality that have plagued them over the years and are building quality pieces, who am I to propagate that misconception? Might as well give them a chance, no?
I couldn't agree more but most people just like to entertain themselves with negativity lol and let me know how that on3 turbo works out i thought about trying one before i got my tc78, found it for a good price so i had to snag it. where are you going to mount your turbo?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Thirian24
Let me know what you find out homie, that way I can buy mine for the coupe.. So you can gimme the hook up on what needs to be done to them, if anything. Also, can you check out my Turbonetics gate that I got for my big motor? If so, I'll bring it down along with my compressor housings the next time I'm down.
Will do sir the wastegate should be here tomorrow so well see how it looks, and yea bring me that compressor housing whenever ill chuck it up in the lathe and make it look way better lol
Old 12-23-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't agree more but most people just like to entertain themselves with negativity lol and let me know how that on3 turbo works out i thought about trying one before i got my tc78, found it for a good price so i had to snag it. where are you going to mount your turbo?
I'm going to mount it where the right muffler goes probably. Maybe the left side, I haven't decided yet. It is too big to fit anywhere else. I could put it where the air cleaner is, but there is nowhere to put a downpipe and run the exhaust out. Too many wires and hoses in the way.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by killernoodle
I'm going to mount it where the right muffler goes probably. Maybe the left side, I haven't decided yet. It is too big to fit anywhere else. I could put it where the air cleaner is, but there is nowhere to put a downpipe and run the exhaust out. Too many wires and hoses in the way.
lol yea, I'm hoping i can stuff mine on either side of the trans like gulfm3 did minus one turbo. My turbo is a bit bigger both physically and internally than his were, so hopefully i can find room, i know it will be tight though, but it looks like gulfm3 had a bit of room to spare on his. my tc78 is relatively small physically for a 78 so im sure i can make it happen itll just be tight. worst case ill butt mount it like my camaro was. I'm going to start ordering the rest of the stuff for the kit mid next month and prob do a build thread once its well underway. Ill keep an eye out for yours too it always good to know someone doing the same thing to help with ideas. heres a link to gulfm3"s build incase you havent seen it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ictures-3.html
Old 12-28-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow some much info and opinions lol, i just ordered two of these last night for my lq9 ls3 top end 80mm built. so we will see how it goes.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:56 PM
11 Second Club

well boys and girls, i got it, took it apart and here's what i found:

the good:

-it has a ONE piece stainless valve

-the housing is also stainless and looks like it will flow as good as any

-everything looks good nothing real cheesy or extra cheap looking, its all machined decently (not great but not poor)

-stem to guide clearance is right around .0135" give or take a ten-thousanth (my sunnen p-300 dial bore guage is accurate within .0001"), this clearance should be more than loose enough to prevent valve seizure

-came with dual springs installed, so ive got 3 spring pressure options

the bad:

-dont know what boost pressures the springs are rated at

-the valve stem has about .0004" taper in it, but with .0135" clearance that isnt going to matter a bit

-other than that everything looks great!

So im going to run this thing as it was straight out of the box, ill let you guys know if it fails, but i'm sure ill be joining the club of plenty of other people that have ran these for extended periods of time without a problem, if not, ill post my fail story and all you haters can say i told you so, but im fairly certain that wont be happening
Old 12-30-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well boys and girls, i got it, took it apart and here's what i found:

but i'm sure ill be joining the club of plenty of other people that have ran these for extended periods of time without a problem, if not, ill post my fail story and all you haters can say i told you so, but im fairly certain that wont be happening
LOL I just got my two I ordered in the mail today , from the pics my girl sent me look nice. Waiting on my BOV to come in to start my kit already.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:56 PM
TCD
Staging Lane

I am thankful I can afford built in the USA parts for my German made car.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

I could afford them if i wanted to, but why do so when i can get the same thing for 1/5th the price? I have more important things to spend money on than car parts. I'd like to be successful in life and ill never get there being wasteful with my money and overpaying for things. Here are a few relative quotes from Warren Buffet:

"Price is what you pay. Value is what you get." -Warren Buffett
why pay 5x the price for what could potentially be the same value?

"Risk comes from not knowing what you're doing". -Warren Buffett
I know these wastegates can be risky, but that's only for those of you that aren't competent enough to eliminate the cause of risk before use.

"There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult." -Warren Buffett
There's no magic to it people, if the guide is not too tight the valve will not seize.

"live below your means" -Warren Buffett
Just because I can afford a 250 dollar wastegate, doesn't mean I should buy it.

I know Warren Buffet didn't waste money on cars though lol But I'd like to have some fun once in a while I'm not quite as serious about being successfull as him lol but I try.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:43 PM
11 Second Club

Furthermore, I did spend the money on a good turbo (turbonetics tc78) because i wanted something that I knew for a fact would last being that its for a street car, but I also bought it for about 40% less than what they're usually sold for.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

Oh, and I finally got a reply from turbosmart as to how much stem to guide clearance they run lol They like to see about .005", so being that this one has over twice that, I will bet a healthy sum of money that it's not going to seize lol
Old 12-31-2011, 07:29 AM
TCD
Staging Lane

It's great that you have checked the quality of the part to justify the purchase but the you are remiss in ignoring the bigger picture.

Tial and thousands of other American companies produce new products and patent their designs with the US Gov't. Patents are protected to make the research and development viable.

Supporting Chinese government sponsored companies that ignore our patent laws and merely copy designs is ethically irresponsible and only goes to damage our hot rod industry.

At some point all we will have is Chinese companies producing parts based on old designs because they are incapable of engineering their own.

What does Warren Buffet say about that?
Old 12-31-2011, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

for the record the ones i got say USA on the box they came in lol

Quick Reply: anyone used an EMUSA wastegate?