Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2002 Camaro FMIC D1 build pics vids and dyno within! UPDATED BOTTOM OF 1ST POST!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
What I can't get past is the fact that people always say "oh the parasitic loss is a terrible" on a supercharger BUT what I see is pound for pound the supercharged cars are making the same or better power. Hum.

Congrats on the results. Very nice.
The turbo guys typically make more peak rwtq, but then again sometimes it takes time for them to spool. And even if they do make more tq...they usually have to work harder for it than we do. But when they are done right....they are deadly.

For Example...heat-wrapping exhaust pipes, and swapping headers back for manifolds, etc...and the Procharger kit is just well thought out, and you know what you are getting into...and you still have an a.c./ and dont have to worry about oil pumps or losing a muffler and tip for a rearmount. I don't want this to turn into a turbo vs centri and posi thread, but they do each have their pros and cons. Simply put, people get the Procharger because of its ease of install, reliability, and proven track record. As with any power adder of any kind, it is not a question of how much power it will make, it is a question of how much you can handle/afford. his D1 should get him over 700rwhp no problems. Nice DD
Old 12-29-2011, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
The turbo guys typically make more peak rwtq, but then again sometimes it takes time for them to spool. And even if they do make more tq...they usually have to work harder for it than we do. But when they are done right....they are deadly.

For Example...heat-wrapping exhaust pipes, and swapping headers back for manifolds, etc...and the Procharger kit is just well thought out, and you know what you are getting into...and you still have an a.c./ and dont have to worry about oil pumps or losing a muffler and tip for a rearmount. I don't want this to turn into a turbo vs centri and posi thread, but they do each have their pros and cons. Simply put, people get the Procharger because of its ease of install, reliability, and proven track record. As with any power adder of any kind, it is not a question of how much power it will make, it is a question of how much you can handle/afford. his D1 should get him over 700rwhp no problems. Nice DD
All depends on what you want out of your car. I'm never removing my six speed so that made going centrifugal supercharger an easy pick over turbo for me. As for making over 700rwhp with a d1 that's a cake walk. I'm barely spinning the d1 (45756)~ impeller speed. Max d1 is 62000 you can make 800+ rwhp with the right combination of parts with a d1
Old 12-29-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

well i guess you will be able to change your I.D. on the left to the 10 second club her pretty soon eh? be sure and post a good track video on this page asap please.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
What I can't get past is the fact that people always say "oh the parasitic loss is a terrible" on a supercharger BUT what I see is pound for pound the supercharged cars are making the same or better power. Hum.

Congrats on the results. Very nice.
people say turbo's are free power. however ive never really believed that because with turbo comes backpressure. An engine is an airpump and if it has to work harder to push exhaust out it is not free power. True the exhaust velocity is free energy but backpressure will still make an engine work harder. you can get a huge hotside on a turbo that can be lower then a 1:1 ratio but at the cost of spool.. BUT other then that if you look at that power curve with 650 rwhp with the D1 its only making 550 lbs of torque. A turbo would have made 650 torque as well, which is a big deal. I chose to go turbo because of the midrange and because a procharger headunit rebuild is way too expensive if something happens..

d1's are a great blower/setup and to be honest i probably would have been just as happy with one. This setup is what i would have wanted and makes great power. I know there are a few guys on here making well over 700 rwhp with the d1. its a great blower.

Also i dont know why people say turbo and six speeds are so bad together. I can easily make my wastegate spring pressure of 9-10 pounds at 3200 rpm going WOT from 2600 rpm. You just dont need a huge hotside. The .81 on my 5.3 is a blast and at 10 psi it feels like its making over 600. there is hardly any lag, and any lag there is is nice to help you hook up. want to go up to 12lbs
Old 12-30-2011, 08:25 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Now everyone has me worried about blowing up my motor...lol

I guess I should start pricing forged pistons and rods pretty soon as I don't plan on backing down the boost. Right now I'm maxing out my 60lb injectors at a verified fuel pressure of 62-65psi, so I know it's not fuel supply related. Right now, my car rarely sees any high rpm running to begin with, so I'm not too concerned.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 35thsscamaro02
All depends on what you want out of your car. I'm never removing my six speed so that made going centrifugal supercharger an easy pick over turbo for me. As for making over 700rwhp with a d1 that's a cake walk. I'm barely spinning the d1 (45756)~ impeller speed. Max d1 is 62000 you can make 800+ rwhp with the right combination of parts with a d1
I agree, love rowing my own gears as well nothing like a 9 sec manual street car. Car looks great and congrats of on the results!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist

I guess I should start pricing forged pistons and rods pretty soon as I don't plan on backing down the boost. Right now I'm maxing out my 60lb injectors at a verified fuel pressure of 62-65psi, so I know it's not fuel supply related. Right now, my car rarely sees any high rpm running to begin with, so I'm not too concerned.
I would say you definitely be ready to go forged! Im knocking on 700rwhp door if I take the car to 6500rpm and thats with 4.25 blower pulley and you have a 4.0 blower pulley so i would expect you to be making 700+ rwhp (std) on a stock bottom end! We are either brave with big ***** or just plain stupid! lol Has anyone noticed the trend of these aster bracket 8rib d1's running around we all are making great numbers considering the pulley sizes we are running! NO BELT SLIP!
Old 12-31-2011, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

Some great numbers! Chad does awesome work, I hope Ill be able to ditch the nitrous for a prochargers one of these days.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:44 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by 35thsscamaro02
I would say you definitely be ready to go forged! Im knocking on 700rwhp door if I take the car to 6500rpm and thats with 4.25 blower pulley and you have a 4.0 blower pulley so i would expect you to be making 700+ rwhp (std) on a stock bottom end! We are either brave with big ***** or just plain stupid! lol Has anyone noticed the trend of these aster bracket 8rib d1's running around we all are making great numbers considering the pulley sizes we are running! NO BELT SLIP!

Yeah, um, I'm not going to comment on how many rpms or how much boost I've seen with this setup in third gear lol. Lets just say that I did a third gear roll at 50mph and saw 110 in 4.1 seconds. That's was pretty damn quick to me. AFR was less than 11.0 the entire time and timing was 13-14 degrees. The nice thing was ambient temp for the day was 88 degrees, and by the end of the gear, IAT temps only rose to 105. I got zero knock retard at all, which is a good thing too.

I think before I do anything else motor wise, I need to sort out my traction issues first, then I'll look into a forged rotating assembly and I can start to add a few more degrees of timing and lean it out a little bit. I could probably lean it out a little now and still be safe.

These Procharged cars are so incredibly fun, it's unreal. And to think, I still have a good 10,000-15,000 more rpm I can get out of the blower before I max it out
Old 01-02-2012, 08:38 AM
10 Second Club

I have a friend thats been running a stock block with 13-14lbs for about 3 years. He does have a Alky meth system. I think a meth system is a must for higher boosted cars. A safety buffer and cooler IAT's.

Maybe his motor is a freak, but so is my stock rear end.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

Glad to see a good couple of D1SC cars doing well. Mine did well while I had the combo...its time to even step this one up again. I do think you should be carefull with your car Alchemist lol
Old 01-03-2012, 01:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
Glad to see a good couple of D1SC cars doing well. Mine did well while I had the combo...its time to even step this one up again. I do think you should be carefull with your car Alchemist lol
out of curiosity did you ever max out your d1 before
you went with f1? if you did what kind of power did you make with maxed d1.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:26 AM
11 Second Club

No I never got to max out my D1. They are quite capable blowers though....I just had a good opportunity to upgrade for cheap. I maxed out the standard F1 on my old combo and plan on upgrading to a F1R soon. Spinning it to its max impeller I made mid 820's rwhp so far. I was going to do a whole other combo but decided to finish a couple things on this car and just start another project car. I'll bump my thread with my gamepan soon.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Updated post 1 at bottom
Old 03-24-2012, 01:39 AM
Launching!

Badass results, dood!
Old 03-24-2012, 05:58 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Wow, first off, congrats on the setup and the new LS2.
I made a couple mistakes with my build. First and most important was not getting the meoh/water injection done the minute I fired up the car. I belevie with a stock bottom end, it's not so much the added octane, but it's helping keep the chambers and pistons cool. There's a reason GM put piston squirters in the ls9. Too much heat on a stock bottom end and POP.

My other mistake was not pinning the crank right away. I ran the car a few times before my pinning kit came and that cause the snout of the crank to get messed up, and ultimately, I snapped the pin that I put in. So, I am putting in a new-to-me crank (thnx I8UR4RD) and will have a key cut into it.

I think if had put meoh/water on my car, it would probably be still running, maybe, maybe not.

Congrats again nice numbers.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by M2W-GTO
Badass results, dood!
Thanks bud its come along way for sure!
Old 03-24-2012, 08:17 AM
11 Second Club

Wow, first off, congrats on the setup and the new LS2.
I made a couple mistakes with my build. First and most important was not getting the meoh/water injection done the minute I fired up the car. I belevie with a stock bottom end, it's not so much the added octane, but it's helping keep the chambers and pistons cool. There's a reason GM put piston squirters in the ls9. Too much heat on a stock bottom end and POP.

My other mistake was not pinning the crank right away. I ran the car a few times before my pinning kit came and that cause the snout of the crank to get messed up, and ultimately, I snapped the pin that I put in. So, I am putting in a new-to-me crank (thnx I8UR4RD) and will have a key cut into it.

I think if had put meoh/water on my car, it would probably be still running, maybe, maybe not.

Congrats again nice numbers.

Yeah **** happens you live and learn. There are alot of risks no matter what when you push a stock shortblock like we've been doing. That's why I picked up the ls2. I know my stock ls1 won't last forever so I'm doing what I can. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Great results and still room to grow! Gotta love that. CBI is pushing out some impressive cars.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

the prices I have been quoted so far for the rotating assembly from speedinc and texas speed were all around 1800 for diamonds and arp hardwares. just fyi in case you wanted me to save you some time there. maybe you can beat that. i ended up going with 9:6 CR on a 390 lq9. i cannot wait to see what power it makes NA with just the brutespeed cam.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro FMIC D1 build pics vids and dyno within! UPDATED BOTTOM OF 1ST POST!!!