Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is anyone running a turbo on stock bottom end? Lets here about some set ups

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

koolrayz if you don't like the thread take your pole smoking *** elsewhere...
op he was just telling you what we are all thinking, if you cant find info on this topic you are a freaking moron, one of my fav boosted rides is koolrayz ta, have seen it in person and its a killer ride, and im pretty sure i have seen pics of his ride in every gmhtp issue for the past year lol
Old 01-02-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Swaie
I read your build in depth and actually kinda trolled your post to get more info about your build. Where you spraying out of the hole? Did it help your spool alot, was it worth spraying? Did the nitrous really help the setup or was it overkill? The guy thats actually helping me build the car told me that there was no need to spray, just let the turbo do the work? Do you agree? Di d you ever run a turbo'd ls1 vs a turbo'd 5.3? I'm actually thinking about doing a forged 5.3 after the ls1...

koolrayz if you don't like the thread take your pole smoking *** elsewhere...
Originally Posted by Swaie
Have any of you guys used the 317 heads on a ls1 to knock down the compression? How did that respond?

My 5.3 combo was a learning experience. I just kinda threw it together with extra parts. I used 317 heads (8.6:1 compression) an extra n/a cam i had laying around, The car was kinda heavy 3660lbs The GT45 was slow spooling. The 50hp shot picked up a tenth in the 60ft, went from 10.50's @ 128 to 10.31 @ 131. Sprayed the whole way. Using a TH350 and a TCI super streetfighter that blew through pretty bad, but the 50 shot helped spool up. My lack of compression also aided to the slow spooling. You're right though... a decently designed setup you shouldnt need nitrous.... Unless its a monster turbo setup on some small cubes.

317s on a LS1... not sure what that would bring? 9.8:1 maybe? Anyone know? Probably work great.

Not sure why people are bitter? What are the forums for?
Old 01-02-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
Not sure why people are bitter? What are the forums for?
Its like going to a library to research WW2 and sitting at the librarians desk asking them all the questions instead of opening a book and reading...
Old 01-02-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stoverz28
Its like going to a library to research WW2 and sitting at the librarians desk asking them all the questions instead of opening a book and reading...
Then why do people that dont wish to partake in answering even reply? Seems to be rather childish and I think it pretty sad if you have that much aggression built up in your life you have to resort to taking it out on something so stupid as a repeated question on the internet.

In reality what hasnt been covered on here? Why dont we just shut the forums off because 99% of the stuff being talked about has already been talked about. Instead of unloading at someone online....go pick up a blade and cut yourselves... thats what other emo kids do.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I put a used cam/springs on my 98 at 140k and threw a turbo on at 150k. Ive put 5k street miles at 6lbs and recently turned up to 9lbs. made 501/465 on 6lbs with stock rear/6speed. Im pretty happy with it as it cost me about as much as nice set of heads Not sure on timing but good tuning by Patrick G.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Then why do people that dont wish to partake in answering even reply? Seems to be rather childish and I think it pretty sad if you have that much aggression built up in your life you have to resort to taking it out on something so stupid as a repeated question on the internet.

In reality what hasnt been covered on here? Why dont we just shut the forums off because 99% of the stuff being talked about has already been talked about. Instead of unloading at someone online....go pick up a blade and cut yourselves... thats what other emo kids do.
If you want to argue this with me then make a new thread and I will be more than happy to oblige.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody seems to say anything on what would be better..to keep the 853 or use 317s?????? im working on a stock buttom end build and have both sets of heads... What would be best?????
Old 01-02-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jfg429
Nobody seems to say anything on what would be better..to keep the 853 or use 317s?????? im working on a stock buttom end build and have both sets of heads... What would be best?????
I am almost ready to fire mine up. I think this was answered. One of the gents said it depends how modest your goals are. Believe it or not I was told by my tuner to use the stock heads because I have modest goals of 850rwhp! Shoot, I thought that was an overeaching goal. I was also told the 5.3 with stock heads, truck manifolds and my twins would spool quickly and support the power I was looking for so don't even bother taking the heads off. I now have the 317's sitting in the garage. I don't have any numbers yet but will hopefully have some good numbers by the end of the year. Mine is a stock bottom. Again, I am repeating what I was told so...take with a grain of salt. But now that is two people who have posted this info on using or not using the 317's. Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Wow!! Thats a good HP# for stock heads.... havent taken off the 853s maybe ill take ur advice and finish my build faster..but what about head gaskets??? What are u going with????Thanks
Old 01-03-2012, 02:08 AM
Launching!

I'm just looking for about 550hp out of my setup...just because i'm on the stock shortblock...I would have just use the heads to keep down the compression to reduce the risk of detonation. But if it's going to rob that much horsepower it's not really worth it I guess. I don't really wanna use meth or water injection or anything like that...

Do any of you guys DD your cars or are they all track cars? I definatly wanna DD mine on low boost, and be a monster on the weekends!

No problem listening to Koolrayz...but he didn't help this thread at all just tried to kill it...
Old 01-03-2012, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock LQ4, 317 heads TH350, 3.08 gear 1981TTA
Old 01-03-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

i dd mine 60 miles a day but hopefully have something else to beat on by summer time
Old 01-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Banned

I agree with you 100% here man. At some point 99% of the members on this site have asked a question that has already been answered hundreds or maybe thousands of times before on this site.

Quick Reply: Is anyone running a turbo on stock bottom end? Lets here about some set ups