Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is anyone running a turbo on stock bottom end? Lets here about some set ups

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anyone running a turbo on stock bottom end? Lets here about some set ups

I know most of you guys are turboing forged bottoms, but I'm wondering if any of you have stock bottoms. How long has did it last, what was your tune as far as timing? How much power did it make? How much did you like it on the street. Just talking about taking an ls1 and putting a turbo on it...not adding heads and all types of other stuff

Last edited by Swaie; 01-01-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...lity-list.html
Old 01-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Yea, thanks read that already...Looking for real world experience...

Last edited by Swaie; 01-01-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Ok. Sorry. I only ran 10 pounds of boost on stock motor for a few years. What do I know.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Okay great then share info not links...I'm sure you do know alot, but really its not a turbo set up and they tend to behave a little different. But i'm sure you know more than me. Looking for tips and info here to make my setup safe, and better. So if you have any please post it instead of links...thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am in the process of finishing my build. Ls6 cam,stock heads, ls6 intake, stock bottom end, pt7675/truck manifold kit. Was going to go e85, but I may be going to pump gas and Meth now. Fuel system is 80lb injectors and Lonnie's twin pumps. Speed density tune
Old 01-01-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

A lot of the big boys are running vr1 20 50, delvac 15 40, or rotella 15 40. Just some more info for ya
Old 01-01-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Swaie
Yea, thanks read that already...Looking for real world experience...
I would normally type "You need to search dude." But then I would get a bunch of people butt hurt, saying I'm an ******* and that I need to hold everyone's hand.

If you don't consider the "stock bottom & boost reliability list" real world experience, then I don't know what type of information you are looking for. There are 12 pages of info there. If you don't like what you find there, there are couple of guys running low 9's to mid 8's on the stock bottom ends. Skinnies has a couple of threads where he beat on the same engine in two different cars. Got one boat to run 10's with it, then got his RX7 to run mids 8's with it. Beat on it for over a year, and as far as I know, it hasn't blown up yet.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I copy and pasted my post from the https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...lity-list.html
my 5.3L calculated with my ET/mph to 640HP car weighs 3660 w/ me in it, and 10.30 @ 131mph, I cant build a lot of boost off the line and it dont hit full boost till after the 60ft, im also blowing through my converter higher RPMs than I should going through the traps at 7500.. 3.50 gears w/ 29.5" tall tires. So im sure it makes more HP than it calculates out to.

Stock 5.3L shortblock (junkyard.. mileage unknown)
15psi boost
50hp shot of nitrous.
Living strong going on 3 years.
It ran for 3 years and 2 different cars and then spun a rod bearing.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:31 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SATAN
I would normally type "You need to search dude." But then I would get a bunch of people butt hurt, saying I'm an ******* and that I need to hold everyone's hand.

If you don't consider the "stock bottom & boost reliability list" real world experience, then I don't know what type of information you are looking for. There are 12 pages of info there. If you don't like what you find there, there are couple of guys running low 9's to mid 8's on the stock bottom ends. Skinnies has a couple of threads where he beat on the same engine in two different cars. Got one boat to run 10's with it, then got his RX7 to run mids 8's with it. Beat on it for over a year, and as far as I know, it hasn't blown up yet.
Preach it brother,,,,,
This ******* probably wants you to tune the car for him also. There must be a thousand threads with people that have stock bottom ends, do your own work.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by koolrayz
Preach it brother,,,,,
This ******* probably wants you to tune the car for him also. There must be a thousand threads with people that have stock bottom ends, do your own work.
ouch!..easy bro, at some point probally 80% of the members have asked similar type questions. That list should help him out if he reads it all tho.

To the OP, I only run 6lbs of boost with a procharger (I know your asking about turbos but boost is boost) as well as a 50/50 water meth mix and I drive the car everyday (my DD) . I also have made about 70 or more drag strip passes with the setup. I'm turning up the boost to around 10 and and then hoping to run some mid 10's. 10lbs of boost on a stock bottom with with water meth and a good (damn good ) tune will make a stock bottom last a long time.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just need a good tune and good fuel if you want to push it. This car went for over 2 years before the connecting rods started bending and the pistons skirts contacted the crank. Upwards of 24psi on e85.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...847-tires.html

My friends truck made 681/712 to the tires with a turbo 5.3 with 19psi. Daily drove it on 13 and 19 on the weekends in the sand and at the track for 2 years. Running 91 octane on low boost and 110 cranked up. The regulator took a dump and it saw 19psi on 91 octane and lost a piston.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
I copy and pasted my post from the https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...lity-list.html

It ran for 3 years and 2 different cars and then spun a rod bearing.
I read your build in depth and actually kinda trolled your post to get more info about your build. Where you spraying out of the hole? Did it help your spool alot, was it worth spraying? Did the nitrous really help the setup or was it overkill? The guy thats actually helping me build the car told me that there was no need to spray, just let the turbo do the work? Do you agree? Di d you ever run a turbo'd ls1 vs a turbo'd 5.3? I'm actually thinking about doing a forged 5.3 after the ls1...
Originally Posted by koolrayz
Preach it brother,,,,,
koolrayz if you don't like the thread take your pole smoking *** elsewhere...
Old 01-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Have any of you guys used the 317 heads on a ls1 to knock down the compression? How did that respond?
Old 01-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Banned

I have been looking into doing the swap to 317's as well. From what I have gathered is that they are overall better heads for boost but they also lower your compression and will drop your HP a bit unless you increase boost. So pretty much my 6 lbs that I run would turn into maybe 4 lbs due to the compression drop. Although pulleying my boost back up to 6 or more with the 317's will put me at more HP than my current heads would. I have had alot of ppl tell me to keep my stock 853's on for now since my HP goals are (as of now lol) only to have 600-640hp and that the drop in compression will hurt my HP unless I increase boost. This info I gave is'nt the gospel, but just what i have gathered from others so I could be wrong.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Motors back in the heavy 4 door again.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Skinny what mods have you done to the 5.3...how much boost...that is a big car to run in the 10's geezz!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:15 AM
9 Second Club

What this guy said.

And kool ray has one of the must bad *** rides on here I would listen to him
Old 01-02-2012, 12:17 AM
9 Second Club

If you don't consider the "stock bottom & boost reliability list" real world experience, then I don't know what type of information you are looking for. There are 12 pages of info there. If you don't like what you find thethere are couple of guys running low 9's to mid 8's on the stock bottom ends. Skinnies has a couple of threads where he beat on the same engine in two different cars. Got one boat to run 10's with it, then got his RX7 to run mids 8's with it. Beat on it for over a year, and as far as I know, it hasn't blown up yet.
What this guy said.

And kool ray has one of the most bad *** rides on here I would listen to him
Old 01-02-2012, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Swaie
Skinny what mods have you done to the 5.3...how much boost...that is a big car to run in the 10's geezz!!!
Search his name and read his 142mph thread or one of the other record short block threads, its a good read, lots of info, and there is not a whole lot that goes into making the stock motors handle the power. 6-9k usually goes into the swap/turbo kit, the motor is the cheap part.

Quick Reply: Is anyone running a turbo on stock bottom end? Lets here about some set ups