Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Electric Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Superchargers

Does anybody have info. on these electric superchargers (good or bad) do they work are they worth the money (200.00) they claim 20 to 60 hp gain. they also claim works with stock comp. chip,injectors, exhaust,etc claims of 5psi of boost+micro switch to turn it on at full throtle. plus if anybody has used one how does it effect car performance when not running WOT does it hurt mpg or how car runs at every day driving. wondering because blades not spining have to hurt air flow some.
I have a 2001 TransAm WS6 with only 15000miles all stock and i am compiling a "wish list" of mods and wondering if this should be on it.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

200 bucks for 60 HP, bud don't you think if this was all that we would all have one.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:56 PM
10 Second Club

Welcome to the site, looks like you have alot to learn and you have found the right place. Forget the electric supercharger. Not going to work at all. Use the search feature in the forced induction section and you will find all you need to know about supercharging an ls1.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Teching In

thanks guys glad to be here ! do have alot to learn i`m sure i`ll ask more dumn questions before i get it right lol. think i`m starting with a good flowing lid ! how do the cold air pipes that go down in front of radiator work ? then a better flowing exhaust. i stop there getting off subject
Old 01-11-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pewter01ws6
thanks guys glad to be here ! do have alot to learn i`m sure i`ll ask more dumn questions before i get it right lol. think i`m starting with a good flowing lid ! how do the cold air pipes that go down in front of radiator work ? then a better flowing exhaust. i stop there getting off subject
It's honestly best to just search the entire site for awhile for what you want to learn about and THEN ask questions.

For you, you will definately need to start smaller with upgrades because forced induction is something that takes a lot more know-how than the average enthusiast.

Good luck
Old 01-11-2012, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
It's honestly best to just search the entire site for awhile for what you want to learn about and THEN ask questions.

For you, you will definately need to start smaller with upgrades because forced induction is something that takes a lot more know-how than the average enthusiast.

Good luck

I couldn't agree with you more.^^^

to the OP Ive owned my camaro for just about 7 years and I can tell you from my experience enjoy the "ride" of modding a car. Its a ton of fun if you take your time. 1st-3 years did intake exhaust, suspension 4-5 years did h/c clutch nitrous suspension years 6 to present ditched the nitrous and went fmic d1 procharger with meth, built t56.

My suggestion to you would be to take a realistic approach to modding a your car. Ask yourself this . what do I want out of my car? What kind of power do I want to have? Expect with more hp the more non fun things you will have to upgrade to support it. For example: I trashed my t56 at the track on the bottle.

Ps when it comes to power adders (supercharger, turbo or Nitrous. If you decide on nitrous Keep in mind its not cheap h/p anymore its expensive to fill and becomes a pain in the ***. Im not knocking on it cuz I loved it and still have the kit on my car for when I go forged motor. So if nitrous is your route keep in mind eventually you will spend enough money filling bottles that you could have gone turbo/blower. I spent about 1200 bucks in a pretty short amount of time filling bottles before giving it up.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Even if that electric blower did have the power to push enough air to create that much horsepower, it would be far more than your alternator could handle. An electric motor is at best 80% efficient, and air pump attached to it is even worse than that.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by noice
Even if that electric blower did have the power to push enough air to create that much horsepower, it would be far more than your alternator could handle. An electric motor is at best 80% efficient, and air pump attached to it is even worse than that.
That's why you attach them in series. Haven't you ever heard of compound boost?
Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
That's why you attach them in series. Haven't you ever heard of compound boost?
Lmfao
Old 01-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 35thsscamaro02
Lmfao
I had to and before some noob goes out and buys one of these things, it's scam and will actually slow you down as it will restrict the airflow.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Electric supercharger are very real in case a few of you didn't know. And I don't mean ebay crap, but there is a company that makes a full metal bad *** electric supercharger and it works very effectively. It looks like a vortech centrifugal head unit with a big honking electric motor attached to it. You get boost by adding batteries. Runs on motorcycle type batteries, and the more volts, the more boost. I want to say the kit runs around $1000 and you have to add the batteries. Theres a guy with an SR20 swapped sentra around town. He put an electric supercharger on and I have to say, the car is VERY unique, and pretty bad ***. He's got a few batteries hooked up now and it makes around 230 WHP at around 6-7 PSI. He has a whole capaciter setup and everything, and in between runs, the alternator charges the batteries up. I understand this may not be the norm, but electric superchargers are not some big hoax like everyone thinks they are. I personally would take a belt driven supercharger or turbo any day of the week over an electric one, but as I said, it's very unique.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
Electric supercharger are very real in case a few of you didn't know. And I don't mean ebay crap, but there is a company that makes a full metal bad *** electric supercharger and it works very effectively. It looks like a vortech centrifugal head unit with a big honking electric motor attached to it. You get boost by adding batteries. Runs on motorcycle type batteries, and the more volts, the more boost. I want to say the kit runs around $1000 and you have to add the batteries. Theres a guy with an SR20 swapped sentra around town. He put an electric supercharger on and I have to say, the car is VERY unique, and pretty bad ***. He's got a few batteries hooked up now and it makes around 230 WHP at around 6-7 PSI. He has a whole capaciter setup and everything, and in between runs, the alternator charges the batteries up. I understand this may not be the norm, but electric superchargers are not some big hoax like everyone thinks they are. I personally would take a belt driven supercharger or turbo any day of the week over an electric one, but as I said, it's very unique.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did I say something funny? Believe it or not, that actually wasn't a joke. I've seen the nissan in person...hell it ran side by side with a buddies G8 GT (screaminredZ). The problem with them is that they obviously lose much more boost per volts on a bigger engine, so they are really only decent on a small 4 cylinder or possibly 6 cylinder.

I know this isn't the one the guy with the sentra has, but it's just an example I found...

http://www.superpowercharger.com/index.htm
Old 01-11-2012, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

&
Old 01-11-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by So.jerZ-28
&
Wrong forum? Does it have to be installed on an LSx for it to have relation to the topic at hand? I was just stating that there are some electric driven superchargers that are not a scam, and MENTIONED that a guy I know had one on a nissan.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

I thought this site was for sharing info? So why is Nightmare getting these dumbass remarks to his posts?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Electric supercharger are very real in case a few of you didn't know.
Ohh I know about electric superchargers, I worked on an engine that had two of them so at low speed (20-60rpm) there would be some kind of positive airflow through a two-stroke diesel engine. At higher speeds (60-100rpm) the four turbochargers kicked in and rendered the electric superchargers worthless. 42,000 HP @ 100rpm for ~2 Million ft/lbs of torque. Powered a large ship with that engine.

Electric superchargers are a joke, the only electric motors that i see viable are the ones that help spool up larger turbos to reduce lag.

Use batteries to make that work is the only way the electrical system can provide that load for a short time. To me that is like the guys that have ice in their intercoolers for land speed records and drag racing.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Restricted User

Did I say something funny? Believe it or not, that actually wasn't a joke. I've seen the nissan in person...hell it ran side by side with a buddies G8 GT (screaminredZ). The problem with them is that they obviously lose much more boost per volts on a bigger engine, so they are really only decent on a small 4 cylinder or possibly 6 cylinder.

I know this isn't the one the guy with the sentra has, but it's just an example I found...

http://www.superpowercharger.com/index.htm
Yes. There is NOTHING to backup anything that you are saying.

They got a half *** website with nothing to back up anything. They are even being called out on this JUNK in their own forum.

http://superpowerchargers.proboards.com/
Old 01-11-2012, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What if you ran 10 of them in series with an optima red ton and a big farad cap? I think I'm going to sell my f1c and give this a shot!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes. There is NOTHING to backup anything that you are saying.

They got a half *** website with nothing to back up anything. They are even being called out on this JUNK in their own forum.

http://superpowerchargers.proboards.com/
Did you miss the part where I said I know a guy who has one? Hang on, let me make it a little more clear for you...

I KNOW A GUY THAT HAS AN ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER ON AN SR20. I'VE SEEN IT IN PERSON. HE RACED AND WAS DEAD EVEN WITH MY BUDDIES G8 GT WHO IS ALSO ON THIS FORUM. I'M SURE HE WOULD ALSO HAVE NO PROBLEM CONFIRMING THAT HE SAW IT IN PERSON

Just because it's rare and you've never seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The guy that wanted to build that sentra wanted to be different, and the car has gone high 12's on a drag radial if I remember correctly. I assure you it's no plastic ebay supercharger. Theres a reason they are not very popular at all, and I completely agree with why. Tons of extra battery weight to make them work, and more complication than they're worth. But they ARE out there.

Quick Reply: Electric Superchargers