Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I'm thinking this spark plug gap is a little too tight???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 07:41 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree guys. At this point, I want to minimize any damage done, and it's not worth it to spin it around. Plus, right now it's easier to pull the head with how it sits.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i agree, you have to buy the wife something nice like a dress or something to help justify your habit, maybe wash some dishes and rub her feet. then lay the smack down on the ole debit card. as for now, pull that damn head so we can all see the carnage! I am running meth on 8lbs with the ls6 so im hoping I get more life outta mine than you. ill be fine @ 560+ for long enough to save up the cash to have it all done at once including heads.

and yeah im in the same boat about the tolerances and dropping the motor out etc....i have a buddy that says he can get it out in no time, but bob is always talking about honing and etc.....and i know for a fact that prob fewer than 5% of the people on this site have any resources in our personal shops like that. but either way, i know we will both do it right the first time. time to start researching all over again. wish you were closer so I could help.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:01 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, pull the head & let us know whats up, I hope the best for you. Carnage gets expen$ive & that aint cool when its coming out your pocket. At least its tax season, & most of us low income (broke azz) people get some money back!
Old 01-22-2012, 05:29 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, I finally told the misses yesterday. It went well. I told her something broke in the motor, and I don't know what it is yet. She asked about when it happened and I told her and her response was "at least you made it home safely".

There's a good chance I'll be able to use most of my bonus to do a new/rebuilt motor. Hell, I may be able to swing a new K-member as well, who knows.

As for the tax season thing, my wife has her own graphic design business, so we end up having to pay each year, so no tax returns for us.

I'm feeling pretty good right now. It'll be a long process as I've never done this level of work on a car. I've swapped cams, heads, suspension, clutches, but never an entire driveline. Should be interesting. Time to start cleaning up the garage for surgery.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Well, I finally told the misses yesterday. It went well. I told her something broke in the motor, and I don't know what it is yet. She asked about when it happened and I told her and her response was "at least you made it home safely".

There's a good chance I'll be able to use most of my bonus to do a new/rebuilt motor. Hell, I may be able to swing a new K-member as well, who knows.

As for the tax season thing, my wife has her own graphic design business, so we end up having to pay each year, so no tax returns for us.

I'm feeling pretty good right now. It'll be a long process as I've never done this level of work on a car. I've swapped cams, heads, suspension, clutches, but never an entire driveline. Should be interesting. Time to start cleaning up the garage for surgery.
Sounds like a plan! But could you please pull those damn heads off and take some pics already!!!! Lol
Old 01-22-2012, 07:53 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by 35thsscamaro02
Sounds like a plan! But could you please pull those damn heads off and take some pics already!!!! Lol
I would if I could stay out of the bathroom. It started last Saturday morning before I went out to cars and coffee. I ended up at the doctors yesterday and have an intestinal virus. So other than running to the bathroom overy 30 minutes, my energy level is at zero.

So next weekend I should be better, and will have the head off.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

I would if I could stay out of the bathroom. It started last Saturday morning before I went out to cars and coffee. I ended up at the doctors yesterday and have an intestinal virus. So other than running to the bathroom overy 30 minutes, my energy level is at zero.

So next weekend I should be better, and will have the head off.

Sucks! take it easy and gets some rest! I feel for ya :-(
Old 01-22-2012, 12:52 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by 35thsscamaro02
Sucks! take it easy and gets some rest! I feel for ya :-(
Well, I had a little energy, and a lot of curiosity, so I started tearing down the motor.

I got the intake manifold off, and look at what I found tucked in the back of the intake....

Yup, definitely broke a piston, but how the hell did it get sucked back into the intake, I have no clue, that's a mystery to me.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

it is common to find engine parts in the intake after you blow it up
Old 01-22-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

Right now the important thing is the car is home and on the lift.
No no, the important thing... Is that you have a lift at your house.

My wife and I share bank accounts for our regular jobs, but I do my fabricating on the side which pays for my car, and also has it's own bank account.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:56 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by SATAN
No no, the important thing... Is that you have a lift at your house.

My wife and I share bank accounts for our regular jobs, but I do my fabricating on the side which pays for my car, and also has it's own bank account.
It is nice, and it was affordable. It was ~$1900 for the lift, another $300-$400 for the hardware to raise garage door and convert it to a coiled spring lift, another $400 for the opener, and another $500 to raise the ceiling.

It's nice that it's a 4-post, because I can park my daily driver under it, but in a situation like this, I've got to get creative in how to remove the motor as the runway isn't wide enough to slide out the kmember with the motor, but I'm working on figuring out how I'm going to do that.
My thought is this, attatch a chain on each side of the block and loop around the shock tower bar. Then I can put the car in the air, drop the kmember off the motor, then put a dolley under the oil pan. Lower the car down, and slowly lower the motor onto the dolley. Then slowly raise the car away from the motor.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Well, I had a little energy, and a lot of curiosity, so I started tearing down the motor.

I got the intake manifold off, and look at what I found tucked in the back of the intake....

Yup, definitely broke a piston, but how the hell did it get sucked back into the intake, I have no clue, that's a mystery to me.
Damn that sucks Heads off yet? anxious to see what thats gonna look like. Hopefully the block can just be cleaned up a little.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

sorry you are feeling rough. nice to see your gritted your teeth and got a lil progress for us to see. im really wondering what that cylinder wall looks like. my fingers are crossed for you. when you do your motor drop and all, I would appreciate it if you would do a writeup on how to do it. i will have to do it to save on labor since i apparently have no chance of building it myself and doing all the honing and all. sux you gotta pay back taxes. but hey, put it like this, my taxes are already gone and I have not even filed yet. I still have a 12 bolt, driveshaft, and slicks and wheels to go before spring. gotta pay a few bills first and then the progress will move fast again.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I still think it lifted the ring land, and sent the rest of whatever was above the ring land into the plug and ended up going out the intake valve into the intake manifold which is what your seeing now.

Another easy way to see what else is floating through the motor is to drop the pan. That will give you some clues and things to ponder of what else broke.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:00 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
I still think it lifted the ring land, and sent the rest of whatever was above the ring land into the plug and ended up going out the intake valve into the intake manifold which is what your seeing now.

Another easy way to see what else is floating through the motor is to drop the pan. That will give you some clues and things to ponder of what else broke.
The pan will eventually get dropped. I'm in no real rush right now, but I'm just curious. I have no doubt that the piston ring land broke off, but the question is how much damage did it do.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess we'll find out Saturday morning when I come over!!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

im looking forward to seeing what you guys find fri or sat.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

me too.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

me three, oh wait, ill be there helping out. haha
Old 01-25-2012, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Theres a couple good books with decent writeups on how to drop the motor. I forget the names but their all LS books....a couple are by SA. I'm not sure what the easiest way would be since you don't have enough room to drop the whole K-Member and eng combo. Maybe take a pic and we can help out?

Quick Reply: I'm thinking this spark plug gap is a little too tight???