Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Unleashed Performance - 810RWHP, Stock Engine, Oil-less Rear Mount, and E85

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love to sell my 101mm turbo to get one of these. Very interesting stuff. Will definitely keep watching.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spoolin turbo
Well oiless or oil in there has nothing to do with the power output of the unit. Thats more in the wheels/housings. I would be in for a back to back vs a pte unit.

Also the Comp 79mm turbine is measured on the inducer side. A Pte unit is 84 or 82mm on the inducer side iirc.

Not many running Comp units out there, but ive made over 1000rwhp out of a 74mm from a 2JZ on race gas, no E85. Seems to make similar power to pte7675 billets, just never seen a back to back.
Sorry but your wrong. Comp Turbo's turbine wheel is numbered off the exducer. They always have been by their exducer.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:35 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Congrats on everything, I can tell you are very excited! Nice to see someone on these boards with some positive emotion I noticed you were running the torquer cam a switched to a custom cam. If you don't mind what are some rough specs on the new cam and did it increase spool or hp over the torquer cam? I run a N/A cam with decent overlap and have been debating if a turbo cam is really worth swapping out.

Thanks
Thanks! I try. The cam is 235/231 @ .050 and .621/.617 Lift on a 115 Lobe Sep. But to be honest, there was virtually no difference at all between the two cams. Other than sound. The torquer cam POUNDED. Fwiw, I've tried countless different cams with turbo LSx setups over the years, and have never been able to find any major differences in power or spool-up. I'm sure that'll ruffle some feathers, and that's fine. I'm only speaking from my own personal experience.

Well oiless or oil in there has nothing to do with the power output of the unit. Thats more in the wheels/housings. I would be in for a back to back vs a pte unit.

Also the Comp 79mm turbine is measured on the inducer side. A Pte unit is 84 or 82mm on the inducer side iirc.

Not many running Comp units out there, but ive made over 1000rwhp out of a 74mm from a 2JZ on race gas, no E85. Seems to make similar power to pte7675 billets, just never seen a back to back.
When I said the pte and comp units were "different animals", I wasn't talking about peak power output. I was more referring to power output differences by rpm. Because I can almost guarantee the oil-less turbo will spool much faster than any traditional unit. Regardless, it would be a pita to do a back to back with my setup. It would require a scavenge pump, oil lines, etc. And to be honest, I simply have no interest in doing anymore rear mounts with scavenge pumps ever. Too much headache, imho.

Originally Posted by RICE ETR
Rob,

I am not into the car thing any longer and so I no longer frequent these forums but fwiw (if anything at all to you) I wanted to tell you congrats on the new place, looks great! Also the car, kit and it's performance are flat out amazing! Hope you can forgive all the ignoramus-ness-full I gave you back in the day...I guess we all know I'm not smart enough or skilled enough to hang with you pros lol. It's ok, the first step is admitting it right?
Goodluck with the car and your shop. In a weird but non-gay way, it's good to see you back on the forums sharing your inventiveness.

P.S. the end of the world is coming but we do not know the time nor the hour, or so it is written, so enjoy your birthday without fear ;-)

Ok car guys, sorry for the interruption, carry on, I'm out.

God bless,

-Jarrod
Hey Jarrod, as they say, it takes a big man to admit being wrong. And an even bigger man to do it on a public forum! So yes, it absolutely DOES mean something to me!! You have no idea how much sleep I've lost over the last 7-8 years, re-thinking everything, and how I could've handled things better on my end as well. And I CERTAINLY could have, and SHOULD have! So please accept my sincere apology as well. Apparently we've all grown up a little since then, huh?

I'm going to assume that you and Mightymouse are still buddy's? If so, I propose we all get together at an LSx event and have a drink together (alcoholic or not...."not" for me). Heck, I'll even help polish his 2 story trophy when it's all over! We just have to make sure it's before 12-21-2012. Because the way things have been going so incredibly well for me online lately, I'm still thinking there's a strong chance it might be my last b-day!

Again, thanks VERY much for your post. It was much needed and appreciated.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:43 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow I really appreciate the honest answer. I was expecting you to say something to the affect of "ya the new boost cam kicks *** and spools incredible, I can spec you something if you're interested"

How about driveability? You decreased the amount of overlap quite a bit so I'd imagine it drives much smoother on those road trips.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Sorry but your wrong. Comp Turbo's turbine wheel is numbered off the exducer. They always have been by their exducer.
I think you may have interpreted my information incorrectly since im reading it back and it does sounds weird. I meant to say that the 79mm turbine is also 79mm on the inducer vs a pte unit which is 84 or 82mm. You are right to say they quote by exducer and I fully agree with you.
Its a straight cut 79mm ind/exd he is running.

Raymer, thanks for you opinion. I know it would be a lot of work, just doesnt hurt to ask...haha. Your kit makes me want pick up a vette and send it down there. I bet there are a lot of new opportunities for cars to run rear mount kits now with this oiless. Keep us updated on the progress of the kit. Congrats

Last edited by spoolin turbo; 01-26-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you may have interpreted my information incorrectly since im reading it back and it does sounds weird. I meant to say that the 79mm turbine is also 79mm on the inducer vs a pte unit which is 84 or 82mm. You are right to say they quote by exducer and I fully agree with you.
Its a straight cut 79mm ind/exd he is running.

Raymer, thanks for you opinion. I know it would be a lot of work, just doesnt hurt to ask...haha. Your kit makes me want pick up a vette and send it down there. I bet there are a lot of new opportunities for cars to run rear mount kits now with this oiless. Keep us updated on the progress of the kit. Congrats
It deffinately makes rear mounting a lot easier! If the spool is really better than normal DBB turbos then thats another plus point.

Chris.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice set up.
Curious about your max timing..I might have overlooked it.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:48 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by maxgee
Nice set up.
Curious about your max timing..I might have overlooked it.
I'm running 15 degrees from 5200 up. I only run that much on the E85. I've tried as much as 17 degrees, but didn't feel the gain was worth the risk. Fwiw, I typically run 12-13 degrees max on "non-E85".

Hope that helps.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any idea when a kit would be available for purchase?
Old 01-28-2012, 04:06 PM
10 Second Club

Really sucks that you wont sell it outright. I love doing the work to my own car and would absolutly buy this rear mount. I just wouldnt want anyone else putting it on because it takes the fun out of the hobby,not to mention and expense that I wouldnt want. Any chance you change your mind on that one?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Raymer@Unleashed
I'm running 15 degrees from 5200 up. I only run that much on the E85. I've tried as much as 17 degrees, but didn't feel the gain was worth the risk. Fwiw, I typically run 12-13 degrees max on "non-E85".

Hope that helps.
Im loving the build man.. Wonder what #'s a built LT1 car could throw down?If I decide to keep the car and go forced induction I may get a wild hair and ship it to your shop... That is if you aint scared of LT1's....It looks like it has plenty of ground clearance which is what I was worried about with buttmounts along with spool time...
Old 01-28-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I may have skimmed over it but I have a question... This turbo is Oil-less ( big *** hassle right there down the drain ) but does that mean the turbo is less reliable? Will the parts wear way faster?

Im seriously interested in a kit like this for my Trans am if the price is right.. or is this a vette only kit?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chuntington101
It deffinately makes rear mounting a lot easier! If the spool is really better than normal DBB turbos then thats another plus point.

Chris.
On my 2.0L I spooled a 71mm turbine with no problem. I'm betting the oil-less turbos spool faster. On top of all that win i'll add this little known fact. Comp Turbo just came out with a newly designed turbine wheel with thinner blades. I guess you can say something like PTE's new CEA turbine (their new 66mm turbine). But Comp has their new design for all the turbine sizes .

Raymer@Unleashed do you know if you have their new low inertia turbine wheel?

Last edited by Apocalypse; 01-29-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Tune

Originally Posted by Raymer@Unleashed

Hope that helps.
Hey called your shop the other day looking for a price quote for a tune on a rear mounted gto, left all my info hoping to hear back from you soon. Still wondering if the drive would be worth it or not. I'm all the way up by chicago almost haha. LMK
Old 02-01-2012, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Rob,

Something's still bugging me. From the pics on your site is that a turbosmart/Tial BOV? You're using a rear mounted ls6 maf in a draw through setup, but then you have a BOV near the TB? This would mean you're venting metered air, thus skewing actual airflow into the engine,no? Just trying to understand better as you don't see too many draw through turbo LS setups.....let alone rear mounted ones
Old 02-02-2012, 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well Well, Rob Raymer. The question I ask is, has this thing shat all over any Mustangs on the 65? Congrats on the nice shop!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Launching!

Car is wicked ! Its important to note that although oil-less the turbo is still "water-cooled".
Old 03-18-2012, 11:30 PM
FormerVendor

Track video of the "shakedown" 10.89 @ 144 pass is now posted on the homepage of the website (link in Sig).
Old 03-18-2012, 11:43 PM
FormerVendor

Also worthy of mention....I "detuned" it a bit the night before we went to the track. Just to be as safe as possible, since I was driving it 120 miles one-way to the track. After making the 10.89@144.55 pass, I left everything untouched and re-dyno'd it back at the shop. It put down 742rwhp.

Going to add a FMIC next, replace the bushings in the tq tube, and a few other minor tweaks. Then it'll be back to the track on the 810rwhp tune. After that....cage and chute. Always necessary, but I sure hate doing it....
Old 03-19-2012, 05:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Nice work Rob!

Im guessing you re-wrapped it like that? or is that paint? Either way, i like it!

Quick Reply: Unleashed Performance - 810RWHP, Stock Engine, Oil-less Rear Mount, and E85