not no but HELL no. high sixes with mineshaft air
13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

will it run 5s with the stock cam??proven -yes it will

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Damn nice work, very impressive, I remember once telling you on tc you shouldn't be butting in when you've never done ****....hahaha your results are great. We all become a little bit of Ed Bigley when using the internet
Old 06-04-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kainedogg
Great job 71. A lot of people will be studying at your feet to duplicate your performance. Sounds like a Lq4 with springs is a monster on its own...and now I have one...lol.
not at my feet. they should be looking at people like atomicfusion, losls2 crew, fast track performance, fireball etc. im slow. and cheap lol

Originally Posted by Hank Peabody
Damn nice work, very impressive, I remember once telling you on tc you shouldn't be butting in when you've never done ****....hahaha your results are great. We all become a little bit of Ed Bigley when using the internet
hey, we ironed it out pretty quick and there has been some great back and forth knowledge sharing since.. ahh ed. his style is starting to grow on me

i wonder what this combo would do in your rx7. it would probably be silly fast.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i voted low 6....but it def has more in it. get her dialed in, and wait for some better air, and I am sure you can drop a tenth or two.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brother you need to post this on Team Chevelle in the Performance section. Title it

"New Best in my Non MARK JONES Engine!" lol. That will get some attention. Congrats. I am hoping to run mine saturday if i get my trans done and my hotside redone in time.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
i voted low 6....but it def has more in it. get her dialed in, and wait for some better air, and I am sure you can drop a tenth or two.
man i would love to. the performance on the stock cam is already unbelievable but i think it has more in it, even at this boost level. im thinking all dialed in it may run 5.90 on 11 psi, 5.7s on 15. wow. stock cam 6.0 im still shaking my head.

Originally Posted by Wicked69
Congrats. I am hoping to run mine saturday if i get my trans done and my hotside redone in time.

dude, good luck i know you will do well. youve got that suspension working.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Launching!

I completely missed the fact that you were not using a 4.8 anymore! So we're talking 8.60s on a stock long block 6.0? I wanna see ya throw a Zo6 cam now! You really should post up pics of your build.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

Are you draining the alky every outing and the oil every weekend? I know alky wouldn't be reasonable in my driver, but just wondering what the upkeep is on it.

Congrats x 1000 on the new best!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Adam Connell
I completely missed the fact that you were not using a 4.8 anymore! So we're talking 8.60s on a stock long block 6.0? I wanna see ya throw a Zo6 cam now! You really should post up pics of your build.
hehe, no need to spend money on a cam. the stock one so far is looking like it is plenty for the job. i mean stock cam and 20 psi? who knows maybe 5.50s? i also like it because i believe it helps spool up vs the bigger cams, and is easier on the valvetrain.

switched to the 6.0 after my old,used fuel pump cost me the 4.8.
it would have cost me this motor too but i put a loggable gauge on the system and saw the pressure dropping(instead of rising) under boost

Originally Posted by dville_gt
Are you draining the alky every outing and the oil every weekend? I know alky wouldn't be reasonable in my driver, but just wondering what the upkeep is on it.

Congrats x 1000 on the new best!
no upkeep so far. the oil is good as new. just have to not run pig rich at idle. i dont drain it and have seen no issues yet. fill it up to the top, and put a cap on the fuel cell vents so the fuel is not exposed to atmosphere.

hey thanks man
Old 06-06-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
A lot of people on this site don't understand the importance of a well thought out suspension and how much easier it is to run the number when your 60's are in the high 1.2x to low 1.3x range. Most seem to just throw more power at it then wonder why it still won't e.t. like it should. Then don't understand that even though they "bought the BMR catalog" why they can't find traction lol. Lot more to do with it than that.

I used to be one of them, but not anymore
This man speaks the truth!

Its not just suspension, but being able to get after it early as well...the latter was my problem...was way too lazy down low. Never could crack into the 4s due to it, but was running 5.0's 152-154mph at the 1/8 with mid 1.3 60' times
Old 06-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Remember CamaroAndreas made well over 1200hp on a STOCK Lq4 and it lasted for quite a while. All he did was add his pyramid rings (triangular shaped o-ring type setup.).

I say turn the sucker up until it pushes water... Also since you're running methanol you can get rid of the radiator and water pump. You'd need to look up what you need for a catch can setup, but it would take some weight out of the car for sure.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fireball

Its not just suspension, but being able to get after it early as well...the latter was my problem...was way too lazy down low. Never could crack into the 4s due to it, but was running 5.0's 152-154mph at the 1/8 with mid 1.3 60' times
did you say 152-154 mph in the eighth? lol thats a respectable quarter mile time.

Remember CamaroAndreas made well over 1200hp on a STOCK Lq4 and it lasted for quite a while. All he did was add his pyramid rings (triangular shaped o-ring type setup.).

I say turn the sucker up until it pushes water... Also since you're running methanol you can get rid of the radiator and water pump. You'd need to look up what you need for a catch can setup, but it would take some weight out of the car for sure.
hehe, 15 psi max. i need this one to last all season.

for some reason, my engine gets hot. i mean, on a pass it is around 170 degrees if i keep it turned off as much as possible. that is with a scirocco rad running no fan(i have two but mainly use them for the return road)

im sure i could do away with the rad and maybe pump and save abt 30lbs, but i fear it would overheat if im at a track like yellobelly where im convinced that double burnouts and staging games are the norm.

oh, camaroandreas made 1200 with stock block and crank but forged rods and pistons, which will hopefully be what i upgrade to next year.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

So, this is the thread you were talking about, lmao!

Fantastic results man! Fantastic!

Whats your IDC on those 160s? Timing, afr? sorry if its been covered before, lol. Just catching up now. Another thing, what year is your motor?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JAX04
So, this is the thread you were talking about, lmao!

Fantastic results man! Fantastic!

Whats your IDC on those 160s? Timing, afr? sorry if its been covered before, lol. Just catching up now. Another thing, what year is your motor?
Thanks man. max idc was 52% base pressure of 45psi. afr was 10.0 on the gas scale.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
i agree with you about getting the 60 ft down. last time out, my ets went from 7.4 to 6.5, mph never got below or above 103mph. the only difference was how hard i was leaving, off idle to off the transbrake and everywhere inbetween. ie the power can be there but the 60ft time has a huge effect on e.t

i think a lot of cars dont et that well because they are dual purpose, ie street/strip so its a compromise in the suspension department.
im really hoping for 5.70s at 15lbs
This is very true, my rx7 was setup to cruise/drive 5000+ miles a year without issues, it had 3.55 gears and 33" tire so no where near ideal for 60ft. Also just going to a track only setup I could've lost easily 250+ lbs off the car. My LTD is the same way, has 2.73 gears and a powerglide, I know it'll never 60ft like it should even though it has plenty of suspension(fox chassis), but I wanted a street car with great street manners. I know a lot of other people are the same, not a dedicated race car which hurts their times.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Compromising for street use myself. Now I wish I had not taken out the transmission with the trans brake. I wanted all automatic feateures for street driving. Now I think I will have to leave the fiberglass doors on it (still 3000 lbs.) Hmmm.... I guess I should have waited on the stereo system and comfy seats too. LOL
There is Always a compromise!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireball

Wow, thanks man! I'm glad we both agree, and I'm flattered with your praise, especially coming from you!

To go hand in hand with what you said about being able to get after it SLR(starting line ratio) plays a huge part, as does converter selection and how the converter is designed to couple and when and where it couples.

Did you have a 1.80 gear set fireball?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say though that you can have a great dual purpose street/strip car without solid rod ends and solid mounted torque arms and anti-roll bar's.

All it takes is a good set of at the least single adjustable shocks with double adjustables being preferred. DA's also make it SO much easier to dial in the car for track conditions.

I have it down to where I can walk the starting line, check it for tackiness and then walk the groove to the 60' mark and tell where I want my buddies to put my car when I line up in the groove. I have found that the groove is stickiest usually on the outer edges of the groove and not dead smack in the middle. Just as long as the outer furthermost edge of your rear tire isn't over the groove, just lined up parallel to it and inside of it just a hair....I've found best repeatable traction this way.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
did you say 152-154 mph in the eighth? lol thats a respectable quarter mile time.

hehe, 15 psi max. i need this one to last all season.

for some reason, my engine gets hot. i mean, on a pass it is around 170 degrees if i keep it turned off as much as possible. that is with a scirocco rad running no fan(i have two but mainly use them for the return road)

im sure i could do away with the rad and maybe pump and save abt 30lbs, but i fear it would overheat if im at a track like yellobelly where im convinced that double burnouts and staging games are the norm.

oh, camaroandreas made 1200 with stock block and crank but forged rods and pistons, which will hopefully be what i upgrade to next year.
Ah yeah forgot the rest of it was forged.

170 isnt hot at all... I run a 195 T-stat in my Grand National on E85. I see temps well over 200 and it really seems to like the higher temps. Methanol needs even more heat to get going than ethanol. Alcohol engines like heat, and so do engine tolerances... I've never really understood why people think swapping to a lower t-stat is a good thing...Yeah it helps with detonation, but that's not an issue with alcohol. The hotter the engine, the tighter the tolerances with less engine wear. With these oem engines I'd want to operate them at whatever temp they were designed for from the factory.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah yeah forgot the rest of it was forged.

170 isnt hot at all... I run a 195 T-stat in my Grand National on E85. I see temps well over 200 and it really seems to like the higher temps. Methanol needs even more heat to get going than ethanol. Alcohol engines like heat, and so do engine tolerances... I've never really understood why people think swapping to a lower t-stat is a good thing...Yeah it helps with detonation, but that's not an issue with alcohol. The hotter the engine, the tighter the tolerances with less engine wear. With these oem engines I'd want to operate them at whatever temp they were designed for from the factory.
you are correct in that hotter temps are better for engine wear, in a street car. I think my dd runs at 210 degress. in my race car which sees maybe 2 miles a week I think it is a non issue.

on e85, cooler water temps always resulted in better e.t for me. I havent tested with alcohol yet, but this article is my guiding principle on the issue.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/blog/?p=547

http://www.rehermorrison.com/blog/?p=244

i do plan to test at hotter and colder temps though to see what works best.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

71, i went 6.71@ 108 and10.43@120 lifting a little past the 1k' mark first pass off the trailer with a horrid 1.66 60'. goin to another track tonight to see if i can better it

Quick Reply: will it run 5s with the stock cam??proven -yes it will