Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Needs valve springs, dont know how i would know this
Old 01-31-2012, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1SIKZ31
Car is wicked man!!! I love it!!!!
Congrats and I totally agree... Turbo's sound SO sweet...

hey... under cruising (just cruising around town at part-throttle) can you hear your turbo spooling up and down when you accelerate/decelerate?

Also... when that gate opens up, what does she sound like?
Sounds like a bunch of air escaping? or?...

Looks GREAT!!! I LOVE it!
Thanks. It's hard to hear the turbo cruising because the exhaust is so loud. By no means is it abnoxious or does it drone, it's just really freaking loud and it drowns out alot of the sound. I can hear the turbo when I'm passing someone or if I'm accelerating faster than usual. But during cruising and decel, it's not noticeable. Open her up though and man it's a different story. Sounds like a jet is going by.

Originally Posted by Orr89rocz
How is the spool time with the T4 .96a/r housing on a remote setup?
Spool time will vary on a lot of factors: pipe size, routing, etc. If you search for Zombie, he's got an in depth thread of his rear mount saga and what he went through with his set up.

Originally Posted by Koondog
Def one of the cleanest rear mount GTOs Ive ever seen. I cant imagine having turbos and under 500hp... although thats obviously what the customer wants. Im sure he will be back wanting bigger in a couple months.
The goal was 500, but we're only seeing 5psi which is NOTHING. Obvisouly the numbers didn't achieve the goal but it's in line with the boost level I'm seeing. I'm happy enjoying the car for now, but by no means am I going to keep it this way. I'll probably be getting a bigger spring here in the next couple of weeks.

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
i bump for 3" exhaust...should notice a difference.

with regards to the power and boost... 5psi is not a lot of boost at all...it will tremendously pick up power as you up the boost. I know.
2.5" seems to be a happy medium. I wanted a car that could handle 500whp and spool quick. I know this car can handle more, and this set up is rock solid. Eventually, with the trans and drivetrain beefed up we may push for 1,000hp. Who knows.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job Ryan and coworkers. That looks great. Can't wait to see what happens with more boost!!!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Spool time will vary on a lot of factors: pipe size, routing, etc. If you search for Zombie, he's got an in depth thread of his rear mount saga and what he went through with his set up.
I know this but I"m asking how the spool time is on this current setup using this current piping arrangement. I dont know why I worded it like that
Old 02-01-2012, 05:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks like a real clean install! I have a used tc76 that looks like it would bolt right in if you would like
Old 06-30-2012, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wanted to update this since i have played with the car a little over the past couple days and the thing brings a huge grin to my face every time i drive it.

we tried a couple different wastegate springs and never really saw the results we were looking for so the customer had us put an an E-Boost Street (nice unit, not a fan of the 30 features with 1 button setup though) and turn up the boost. also added an FTI converter and built the trans so we could do so without concern.

mind you this is not a dyno-happy setup, the converter did not want to stay locked for what ever reason so the dyno numbers are unlocked and low timing due to heat soak. i did the final tuning on the street which i much prefer for a setup like this but ill give some comparisons anyways.

5 psi locked (stock converter and trans) - 408 hp
5 psi unlocked (new converter and trans) - 348 hp

new numbers at 10 psi unlocked - 438 hp @ 11.0 afr and 6-7 degs timing (iat and intercooler were extremely heat soaked due to 100 degrees ambient in the shop and multiple pulls)

did some street tuning today and with real airflow across the intercooler i was able to bring the timing back to a still conservative 11 degrees at 10 psi. car moves out like a champ. best guess is 130ish traps and 530 hp on our dyno through a locked converter. told the customer there is easily more in her if he wants me to lean on it but he wants to leave here for the time being, but i know he'll be turning it up when he puts some tires on the car because the 19's are quite cutting it

really making me pissed my car isnt back together haha. . .

Last edited by Tally TransAm; 06-30-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Mount GTO Pics