Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 89 Posts

so some interesting tid bits today:
i took the car in to have the cats removed and replaced with OBX resonators...

Found a couple issues with the cats. the passenger side cat was partially clogged...
the drivers side cat was EMPTY!!!

Car sounds and feels soo much better. gotta take the car back to touch up a couple welds on the drivers side so still no boost, but im getting it fixed. probably gotta get it fixed next friday.

Also reclocked the turbo since the tuning shop bumped it on the rack and messed up the alignment of the turbo :/ but nothing too bad. just lost a clamp thursday when i hit a bump that i driven before and noticed i didnt have any boost again lol all better now though.
now just got to get the exhaust finished up.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Double check your Wastegate to make sure you have the seat installed.
The wg valve won't just seal to the flange. There is a loose seat just like a valve seat on a cylinder head which the wg valve needs to seal against.

A bad diaphragm or no boost signal to the wg won't cause a lack of boost, it'll cause Overboost. If you remove/plug the wg boost reference line, you should be able to make "infinite" boost, or about 37psi.

Exhaust and Ic pipe leaks won't cause you to never make boost. I've had leaking exhaust manifolds, turbo flanges, intercooler pipes and couplers all leak and still had no problem making plenty of boost. The only time a leak will cause no boost is when the crack or split is literally equivalent to the clamp not even being installed on a coupler. You don't need tbolt clamps torqued down to 30ft/lb to prevent leaks on a little 8psi system. Factory turbo cars use worm gear clamps on rubber couplers with 8-14psi and those don't leak. So I wouldn't go blaming clamps and such for lack of boost.

Btw, the copper rtv on the turbo flange looks horrendous. Use a proper turbine flange gasket. If a real turbine gasket doesnt seal, you need to get your flanges faced and squared up.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

i had 5psi of boost before i switched to resonators. the welds are leaking bad. i can her them from inside my car leaking when its reved up. i gotta get them touched up.

as for the copper sealant, it was a start. ill clean that up later when i know i got all the leaks sealed up. i have actual metal turbo flange gaskets i just used the sealant for temp purposes. plus ive heard those leak too.

I do have the wastegate inlet flange insert in and the "fire ring" is also installed on the outlet side of the wastegate.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

What are you using for tuning purposes. If its hptuners do a log of stft's your o2s will read really crazy of there are bad exhaust leaks. Do a log period and we can see what is happening
Old 05-19-2013, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

the dyno shop is using hptuners however, they havnt told me anything. Although im pretty sure the leaks are centralized around the then cats and now the resonators. when i removed the cats in place of the resonators im getting huge descepancies in readings. when driving now im seeing 15 to near 16 AFRs and at coasting at speed the AFRs are pegged past 22.9 and at near WOT its about 11.5-11.9ish.
before it would at least stay at 14.7ish when i would be cruising and when i slowed it would stay within a normal range under 16. so i have a HUGE hole somwhere.

ALSO i found out today that even with the boost reference hose off that i still dont build any boost. found this out when i noticed a hose hanging off in the back. come to find out i lost my manual boost contoller i guess i forgot to re ziptie it back in place when i got done with the dyno and it got pulled off from bumps on the road.

so yeah, even with near unlimited spool, i still couldnt get anything past -4 vac so there is obviously a massive leak. a few i know of. once i get the eresonators sealed up properly, ill go for it again. mind you, i can hear the leaking when the motor is gased from inside the car. its bad on both sides now. hell, think i was better off with the cats at this point lol
Old 05-19-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the boost reference hose was off the car should build a lot of boost. I still think the waste gate is open. Even with a few leaks pre turbo it should still build boost. Take the waste gate off and put a block off plate on the flange and see what it does. Every car has a small leak or two pre turbo and still build boost. As long as most of the exhaust is going to the turbo you should be fine. I think there is something with the waste gate that you are overlooking. Take it apart and take pictures of it. Post them here. You have a small detail somewhere that isnt adding up.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

yeah im thinking the same. it was building 5ish psi consitantly before i switched to resonators and now im not getting anything.
ill check out the wastegate. im sure im missing somthing but the resonators are really leaking.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Teching In

If you need a hand. Let me know maybe I can help you
Old 05-19-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

dude i might lol im getting frustrated as hell between the car, the tuner, and the welder and then on top of it, i dont have time except on fridays and some weekends. like this weekend i had reserve duty so i was playing weekend warrior so no weekend to work on the car. next week though ill have some time. gonna take the car to the welding shop again so they can fix those damn leaks.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Alright man just let me know
Old 05-24-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

well, got the resonators all welded up nice and sealed like.... guess who found that the wastegate is open at idle today? this guy :/

i was wondering why i was hearing more exhaust noise out the back. i could hear and feel almost the same amount of exhuast coming out the wastegate dump as the exhuast pipe. so either the wastegate is stuck open or the spring isnt enough. so i found part of the reason i guess for the some of the boost leak. guess it wasnt holding when it made anything past -4vac. might be hunting for a wastegate
Old 05-25-2013, 06:54 AM
TECH Addict

Guess who suggested it was the wastegate several times? This guy!
Old 05-25-2013, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Go with tial. Then you lnow you wont have a problem.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

yeah, im thinking after i switched from cats to resonators the extra pressure from having extra exhuast at idle was forcing the vavle open completly at idle where as before it was at least holding at idle.
been looking at simular 44mm wasgates to replace this one. im still wondering if i should get a larger spring to at least get me boost until i get a better wastegate
Old 05-25-2013, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Tial, turbo smart, or precision. Never cheap out on something that controls boost and could damage your engine. Buy a good one and never have a problem. My precision 66mm has done me well.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, im looking at turbosmart wastegates now. at least with this cheapo wastegate it just cant hold the pressure and is just open all the time. im suprised how much pressure the exhaust creates at idle. ive always assumed that the wastegate spring size dictated how much boost roughly you create but since this is a rear mount, im guessing the plumbing creates an extra idle pressure that normal front mounts dont see.

in the mean time, im seeing if Wyntomn has a larger spring, or a smaller spring that will work with the 10lbs spring. im also gonna get another MBC since i lost mine lol they have pretty good customer service for being a ebay company. got the 4lbs spring for free, wonder if they can send a larger spring as well.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Guess who suggested it was the wastegate several times? This guy!
ya i know lol i was trying to see how it was failing and trying to get it to fail but i couldnt figure out how until i switched to the resonators and low and behold the freed up exhaust is now pushing it open at idle lol

gonna try a larger spring to see if it will help.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to add another spring to mine. Works great now.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

what do you got for spring pressure?
Old 05-26-2013, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Background: Had a 38mm wastegate on the car, but was getting boost spikes up to 12 psi when setting the system to 8psi. I did not like that. So I ordered a 46mm WG from Ebay. (like $90 or something).

When I got my new 46mm WG from Ebay, it was supposedly shipped with an 8lb spring. (Which should be good for up to 16psi on my AEM Tru Boost, right?) Well, I was only getting like 4lbs boost at 90% duty cycle (Max duty cycle). A friend had a box of springs from his old WGs and I grabbed one that was similar in pressure to my 8lb spring. (of course none were marked or anything), and it fit inside the larger diameter spring that I had. Now with both springs in there, I'm getting to 10 psi boost on about 75% duty cycle.

Here's the WG I ordered: http://www.ebay.com/itm/260830907704...:MOT:1&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Another Rear mount build, but it was coming anyway :)