Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Race port springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 03:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race port springs

I just recently got my turbo project running and my 50mm turbosmart race port bov is open at idle. I am guessing it needs a stiffer spring in it. It already has the 18 inHG spring in it but with my ls6 cam i have about 20-22 inHg on vacuum.

So i see that it is possible to get an inner spring to add 3-4 inHg to the outer spring rating, which would probably be perfect. The only question is where can i get one. All the places i find seem to be in Australia. Also i have the previous model, so do the new springs fit the old model bov?

Thanks in advance,
Tyler
Old 02-14-2012, 06:20 PM
9 Second Club

ok so iv continued searching and search and searching.............................

What iv found is that the turbosmart website says that the 4inHg spring comes in the race port spring kit part number TS-0204-2104. Well thats fine and dandy except that the only places that carry that part number are overseas and want an arm and a leg to ship a $20 spring kit.

Iv also found that many places in the US carry a race port spring kit with a part number TS-0204-2004. Thats also great except that everyone who carries that has absolutely terrible descriptions of what it contains/ and or conflicting descriptions between dealers. I am assuming its the same kit i listed first, but dont want to buy it with out knowing for sure.

I hate stupid problems....
Old 02-15-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased a race port spring kit on amazon and it arrived in 2 days. Believe it ran about $20 and came with 3 different springs.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:27 PM
9 Second Club

Ok awesome. ill probably end up doing that and hopefully it has the one im looking for. thanks
Old 02-16-2012, 02:01 AM
Launching!

Perfectly normal for this BOV to be open at idle, nothing to worry about.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 PM
9 Second Club

???? Dont think thats the way they are intended to be. Maybe on a race car thats fine but im not going to run it that way on my daily driven street car
Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thirdgen60
???? Dont think thats the way they are intended to be. Maybe on a race car thats fine but im not going to run it that way on my daily driven street car
It is the way they are. Even if you put a harder spring in it to avoid it being open at idle, it'll be open the first time you decellerate. If you are worried about it being open to the atmosphere, maybe an atmospherical BOV isn't right for you.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Teching In

You could always just call Turbosmart USA.
We always answer the phone and are here to help.

(909)476-2570
Old 05-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the throttle body blade is shut, the BOV has to open......Otherwise where is the excess air supposed to go. That is the purpose of a BOV. At idle the throttle body is closed-----therefore-----the BOV should be open.

If it is opening when you are under power....and the throttle is open......then you have a problem.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Teching In

BOV- open or closed:
Typically the Raceport is used on vehicles using speed density, and it is closed at idle.

It can also be used on mass air flow cars and in this application, you would most likely want it open.
It all depends on your particular setup and how your tuner has tuned the vehicle to run.
Let me say that I do not advise using the Raceport setup to be open at idle. The reason is that it is drawing in un-filtered air.
On these applications, I recommend using our Plumb-Back valve with the outlet either plumber back into the air box or with a small K&N filter installed on it.
This valve has plenty of flow and is quite popular on both turbo and supercharged applications.

Quick Reply: Race port springs