Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

can you over blower a motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default can you over blower a motor?

for ease of talk lets just say a stock LS1 with the smallest whipple or KB then you swap leavin the motor stock to the largest whipple or KB? what will happen to you power accross the board and throttle responce? assuming boost levels are the some small to big blower.

real story buddy and i are thinkin of tryin to put a blower on his rack crawler toyota its a 2.4L he want 3.8 GTP blower i say an LSJ cobalt would be better. not going for MAX hp more for lowend and throttle responce. really want instand off idle power. i know lots of variables but thats whats going on.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a huge blower on a small motor sounds like a bad idea. It will have shitty power curve I would imagine.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I'm not familiar with those small blowers but every roots or screw blower I've ever seen makes boost very fast. If you ended up with the same boost level with both blowers then you would be running the big blower slower which would probably mean a cooler intake charge and maybe a little more power at the same boost. I am talking from dealing with huge blowers and big motors so all that may not translate to the stuff you are dealing with.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

big blowers take considerably more power to turn.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:29 AM
On The Tree

I'd say the main source of power loss would be from rotating mass of the blower. Also, some might come from slower compressor speed (unless the tolerances are better on the larger blower). It'll be sucking up more of the power made, so less power at all rpm (with similar psi). Throttle response will be slower, again related to rotating mass.

I don't know about either of the blowers you're talking about, but if the small one is capable of doing what you want, I'd choose it.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If possible the blower should be sized to the power goals of the motor. There are pros and cons to both too small of a blower and too big of a blower. First the bigger the blower the more power it takes to turn resulting in a greater hp loss due to the blower. However it is true that a bigger blower does not have to spin as fast as a smaller one to produce the same amount of boost resulting in a cooler intake temperature. While a bigger blower would be better for peak hp numbers due to the fact that the intake charge is cooler, the power curve would be shifter towards the upper rpm's. You would have to slow a bigger blower down quite a bit so that you don't make too much boost but then this causes its low end performance to suffer.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Blowers have maps just the same as turbos do. You need to sellect a blower that will run in the highest efficeny zone for you application. No point sticking a 8+ltr blower on a engine what only want 600bhp worth of air. Likewise there is no point putting a TVS2300 on top of a 600++cubic inch BBC! Figure out what want and then spec accordingly.

Chris.

Quick Reply: can you over blower a motor?