Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

HOlley Hp Efi and Boost with Stock Coils... Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a poor design by Holley... I'd like to hear an actual, legit, engineering explanation of what's going on that's frying the ECMs. Of course, that's not going to happen, they're not going air out their dirty laundry.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slimbobaggins
Sounds like a poor design by Holley... I'd like to hear an actual, legit, engineering explanation of what's going on that's frying the ECMs. Of course, that's not going to happen, they're not going air out their dirty laundry.
The guy i spoke to said, As cylinder pressure increases, it becomes harder for the spark to jump across to the prong, when this happens, the coils are working harder, as they do this, they are creating some kind of electromagnetic field around themselves??? and this causes the coil to back feed up to 200v into the ecm, on a 5v circuit.

I may have left something out, but thats what he said. Guys name was Tom. Im going to run it the way it is, just keep things low i guess i can spend the extra cash, im more worried about actually getting the car running at the moment, then ill deal with the BS that is the ignition issues.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

I can actually understand it being harder for the spark to jump... if my understanding is correct, under high pressure there's a lot of air and fuel molecules that the electrons physically have to push their way through to jump. But back-feeding into the ecm is a lack of protection circuitry.

This is the one? http://www.holley.com/550-603.asp
Old 02-26-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Pretty sure thats the part number.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Here are the facts..

There have been some issues with both the HP and Dominators on some applications use factory LSx coils. This is far from a black and white condition. Depends on cylinder pressure, which has many variables, plug wires, and the different coils among other things. The issue appears to be due to very short, high voltage spikes that these coils produce, back on the coil trigger, which should be a clean 5v signal. There also appears to be an RF noise component as well, which is very complicated.

I've personally run 30 PSI on an engine with GM coils, with no issues, and have seen issues at 14 PSI. As mentioned, there are variables.

We should be testing some different hardware, in the next couple of weeks and will know more in a while.

People are advised to run the Holley coils right now if they are making a lot of cylinder pressure. We ran another COP type of coil on a couple of cars this weekend, making 2000+ HP without any issues, but would like to review those coils more before I comment futher.

People with specific questions should contact Holley. I'll post more shortly when we know more.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is what I hate!!!! It is ALWAYS a "noise" issue with any aftermarket computer. (I have a FAST) WTF! The stock computer doesn't have "noise" issues!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

All the more reason to keep a stock PCM. Ive been to Holley in Bowling Green and talked to the people in "research and development" .... They guys didnt have a clue about anything. This was about 11 years ago.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
All the more reason to keep a stock PCM. Ive been to Holley in Bowling Green and talked to the people in "research and development" .... They guys didnt have a clue about anything. This was about 11 years ago.
Lolz!
dam.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
That was 11 years ago. Those guys are elsewhere because they didn't have a clue.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know Robin, Doug and Rick they all know what they are doing. Doug helped me in BG this year with the issue I was having with my cam sensor. Rick has answered a bunch of little ? I had prior to getting my systems. Robin I have known for 9-10 years from racing mustangs.

Belive me they all what this stuff to work perfect everytime and do work hard every day at it.

If you belive the other EFI systems don't have issues you are kidding yourself. They all have issues from time to time.

Alot of times issues are caused by people not following the directions on install

The systems works well I went 10.00 on the first pass with this LSX combo and a very very consertive tune just to get down the race track. 3rd pas 9.82 came home and tested 2 more times within 11 passes 9.66. No dyno time and 10 miles of driving 2 6000 rpm pulls in second gear is all the tuning that was done.

Tim
Old 02-27-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Guys,

Hold up here, lets not get crazy, I firmly believe the HP/dominator are top of the line, or i wouldnt have make sacrifices in my build to have it.

Tim, as i posted on Bullet, my seller, was under the impression all issues were fixed, even on the first page, the guy with the RX7 thought the issues were fixed on the new units.

Whether or not they were told they were, or lead to believe they were, or thought they heard things were better, doesnt change the facts.

The website should say their are issues before people buy into a product with the impression that it will do something that its advertised to do. Im not pissed, it is what it is.

Im working with someone at holley right now. Im not going to comment on anything further until we come to an agreement.

I can tell you this, i believe Holley to be good people, personally, i feel like they want this system to be top notch. I cannot blame them, with the name they have to uphold and the name they market.

We will see what happens, i will no matter what use this system. Tim, it was because of the things you posted in the electronics/ecm section on this site that helped me to make my decision.

I will not change my opinion of the guy from their tech department that basically told me to get over it. But the other people i have been talking to are top notch.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by JAX04
I will not change my opinion of the guy from their tech department that basically told me to get over it. But the other people i have been talking to are top notch.
Please PM me the name of that person.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what kind of time are we really looking at for getting this thing fixed? No doubt aftermarket stuff has more control... when it works. So what time frame?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JAX04
The website should say their are issues before people buy into a product with the impression that it will do something that its advertised to do.
This is the key. Holley should be up front about the issues. Of course, all their competitors likely have similar issues and aren't up front about them either
Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Not going to say a whole lot, but i want Robin and the people of Holley to know, Thank you!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Teching In

any update?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing that was not clarified is that NO SPECIAL RELLUCTOR WHEEL IS REQUIRED TO RUN THE HOLLEY COILS. It functions with both the 28X and 58X stock wheels without any issues.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One other thing, even with the Holley Coils no other other system on the market even comes close to the bang for the buck that this system provides out of the box.

True Auto Tuning alone makes it worth it without all the I/O data logging capabilities and integrated controllers.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
One other thing, even with the Holley Coils no other other system on the market even comes close to the bang for the buck that this system provides out of the box.

True Auto Tuning alone makes it worth it without all the I/O data logging capabilities and integrated controllers.
To add to this, Holley now has a harness that makes the coils plug and play, its very nice.

Also, to add to this alittle more, the coil kit comes with a nice set of written instructions on what changes to make in the OS to run them based on the LS reluctor wheel.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:32 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So can the holley coils be controlled via 24x external crank trigger like what comes in the bs3 kit?

Quick Reply: HOlley Hp Efi and Boost with Stock Coils... Problems?